PDA

View Full Version : T/C Barrels Made In Kentucky?

leadman
10-27-2015, 09:44 PM
I bought a Contender barrel from T/C and had to return it. During a conversation with the customer service person she said that the barrels are made in Kentucky.
Anyone hear anything about this?

Iowa Fox
10-28-2015, 11:47 AM
I've always wondered who S&W had making their barrels for them? The T/C custom shop in NH was the pinnacle of the gun making days in the US. All downhill since in my opinion.

JRD
10-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Since S&W closed the Rochester plant, all T/C barrels are made in the S&W factory in Springfield. T/C has used a company in Kentucky to warehouse and distribute accessories, including accessory barrels, thus the barrels could have shipped from the Kentucky warehouse, but were actually manufactured in Springfield, MA.

bluelund79
10-30-2015, 03:10 PM
JRD, excellent feedback! Thanks for sharing

leadman
11-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Finally had the refund show up on my CC. I returned the new barrel because of the milling machine marks on the barrel lug and the awful "bluing" job. Instead of a blued barrel to match the rest of my T/Cs it had the dark black finish that was very dull. Appeared to be bead blasted before finished.
I suppose if I want another barrel it will be a custom job or used.

FergusonTO35
11-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I still don't see what S&W gained from buying Thompson Center. TC was a miniscule operation compared to S&W, and their presence has shrunken even further since then. My local shop doesn't keep TC muzzleloaders anymore, CVA and Traditions have completely replaced them. The TC bolt actions just sit there. Way to go S&W!

leadman
11-03-2015, 03:48 PM
S&W bought T/C for their barrel making skills. Seems that went away in the move. I can understand a T/C bolt action rifle sitting on the shelf for a long time due to all the recalls on them.
I bought a T/C Impact muzzleloader for an antelope hunt this fall and found out it is not the most consistent shooter. Have to keep the sliding barrel latch lubed with grease so it will close consistently.

triggerhappy243
11-14-2015, 05:49 AM
here is how i see S&W. Swift transportation, a nation wide trucking co. has a nick name.... actually it is an acronym. S-See W-What I- F-F@#*#@ UP t-Today. S&W is just like swift. i will never own a smith.

Elmo 1
11-15-2015, 11:17 AM
here is how i see S&W. Swift transportation, a nation wide trucking co. has a nick name.... actually it is an acronym. S-See W-What I- F-F@#*#@ UP t-Today. S&W is just like swift. i will never own a smith.

I remember their much vaunted Model 29's showing up at IHMSA matches. Never saw one exceed 500 rounds without going out of time. The Rugers and Dan Wessons would imitate the energizer bunny. They just kept on going!
Elmo

pietro
11-16-2015, 01:22 PM
I still don't see what S&W gained from buying Thompson Center.

S&W bought T/C for their barrel making skills.

The reason S&W (who already had barrel-making ability) bought T/C was to obtain T/C's investment casting operation - something S&W never had, wanted, and less of a learning curve to learn how to do it successfully.