PDA

View Full Version : Needing new toy, thinking about mounting Loadmaster on Lee stand w/bench plate

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-27-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm looking at picking up a Loadmaster for the purpose of lubing, depriming, sizing and trimming rifle brass in .223 and .308 on the Lee Loadmaster press. I own the Dillon sizing die & trimmer setup. This press will both serve as a toy for me to experiment on as well as the function described, I already have an excellent progressive, just want to separate the sizing/trimming function from my other press.

First, I want to mount the press on a small stand like the Lee stand using the Lee bench plate if possible. I'm putting this press in my business office (my former reloading room in my home), so space is at a premium and there isn't much. I also want to mount other presses on the same stand if the Lee stand can work. If not, I'll be looking at a Harbor Freight stand and an Inline Fabrications mount with quick change plates. The net cost is about the same.

I know the Loadmaster operates the best when it's mount is very stable, so before I go ahead and get the Lee stand/bench plate, I wanted to ask about their stability/strength for Loadmaster mounting purposes. I have lots of lead bullets to weight the stand down with, so stand weight is not an issue.

Second, I'm looking at modifying the Lee case feeder to handle .308 rifle cases. My plan is to add a longer bolt to get the right height on the case feeder tubing, remove the aluminum bushing to allow for the larger .308 case diameter (or perhaps buy large pistol case feeder?) and then buy an extra crank slide (name?) and modify it to handle .308 height cases. Since I want to do .223 as well, I'm debating buying a press set up for .223, then selling off the stuff I already have vs. just buying the things I absolutely need. I'm beginning to feel the economics indicate buying a .223 setup, then selling off the stuff I don't need is the less expensive option.

As far as being mechanical enough, I completely restored a 1986 aluminum bass boat front to rear, to include replacing the wood deck with 1/8" aluminum and reworking the engine. I did all the fabrication needed myself.

Comments/answers on either or both questions are welcomed.

Thank you for your help,

Dave in GA

44Vaquero
10-28-2015, 04:54 PM
A rifle case feeder for the LM:

I know of several people who are using the LM as a dedicated case prepping tool.

too many things
11-05-2015, 06:12 PM
full length sizing on the rifle brass will not be good for a Loadmaster as the shell plate is not very strong. for that type of work.
neck size ,yes

zomby woof
11-05-2015, 06:57 PM
I've been sizing 30.06, 223 and 6.5X55 on mine for years. You need lube, no problem.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-05-2015, 09:09 PM
I already lube/deprime, size/trim on my current progressive. I do this with an RBCS lube die, which contains a depriming pin and does a great job of lubing cases for sizing on a progressive. Then I size using the Dillon size/trim die, which both sizes and holds the case for the Dillon trimmer to size the case.

In my current setup, 30.06 and .308 are fairly easy to size. I can't see any significant different in the size of the shell plate for my current setup and the loadmaster. I do think it's worth it to make sure the shell plate is pushed straight down by a modification on the turret done by Mike of Mike's Reloading Bench. He fills the open areas on the back of the turret with epoxy, then drills and tapes 5 holes for set screws so the turret can be set up to insure the shellplate is level and pinned down when any press operations are done.

I'm not 100% positive, but am pretty comfortable it'll handle .308 and .223, the main two calibers I plan to do this sizing/trim operation with.

I "discovered" a steel rolling bench I'd put a couple thicknesses of particle board, then 3/4" oak plywood top on years ago in my garage. I was my reloading bench when I was living in an apartment back in 2000. I mounted my single stage on one side and my Hornady LnL on the other. It was quite strong then and I'm sure it'll be perfect and save me from having to make a new bench. Plus it has wheels, so I can move it out of the way when not in use.:)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-05-2015, 09:13 PM
I've been sizing 30.06, 223 and 6.5X55 on mine for years. You need lube, no problem.

Thank you, you confirmed what I suspected. I have a very good RCBS lube die that deprimes as well I plan on using.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-05-2015, 09:21 PM
A rifle case feeder for the LM:

I know of several people who are using the LM as a dedicated case prepping tool.

Okay, 44, I gots questions. I see the steel metal stabilizer/mount & modified hacksaw blade in pic one and the hacksaw blade is being used as a cut off to prevent mis-timing/premature shell dropping I'm guessing.

I also see the spring hold back for the hacksaw blade in the second & third pic. I see the mounting screw has been modified for some purpose in pic three. I know there are no cases being dropped on top of the case feeder/carrier based on what I see. What I don't see is how the modified hacksaw blade is pulled out of the way so a case can be fed.

So do you have a video of this working? Or some more pics? It is manually operated for the hacksaw blade or?