PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning BPCR cases...

montana_charlie
04-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Let me tell you a short story...then make an observation.

A member on the Shiloh forum (powderpacker) is real interested in stretching his cases to match his chamber, and that is a project I have been working on. To help me help him, he sent me three Starline cases to experiment with. These were new 45/100 cases that he had lying around.

I played with tool sizes until I got some stretch out of those test cases, then I asked him for some of the fireformed 45/90 brass that he actually shoots. He sent three, I stretched them, and returned those cases for him to evaluate. He was quite pleased.

The observation...

I have been very satisfied with cleaning my cases in walnut shell, fortified with mineral spirits and Bon Ami. I use a rotary tumbler, and they only need a quick twist from a primer pocket cleaning tool to be ready to load.
Inside, the cases are clean, but not what you would call 'pristine'.

I had asked "powderpacker" for some fireformed cases, but what he sent looked every bit like factory-fresh brass....with absolutely no sign of crud, inside, outside, or in the pockets.
I could tell from the way they went into the die that they had been fired, but that was the only indication.

When I mentioned the 'sanitized' look of his brass, he informed me that he uses the ceramic angle-cut cylinders in the liquid medium.

I'm not ready to run right out to buy ceramic, but I can attest to the fact that it sure does a NICE JOB.
CM

L Ross
04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I have been down the ceramic media cleaner road, twice. First time was a bad experience. I will not mention the vendor for the bad as there is no point to that as they no longer list ceramic in their ads.

Now the good news!!! Shooter 2, Dave Maurer ceramic case cleaning system for cleaning black powder cases is almost too good to be true. Frustrated with the lack of success I had with the original media due to ineffective cleaning and media getting wedged in my 45-70 and 40-70 SS cases I returned to using corn cob bird cage bedding and Midway media liquid rejuvinator. Finally because I had this Thumler's Tumbler I wasn't using I called Dave Maurer. Dave assured me that if I used his product and followed direction I would be satisfied. Heck, I'm thrilled. Brand new looking shiny cases, inside and out including primer pockets in half the time Dave promised me. No bridging of the media at all. Furthermore I do not have to hand polish the inside of the necks anymore with a drill and steel wool wrapped on an old cleaning brush.

Dave's ad is in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle News but I'll happily put in his number and e-mail address as I am that sure you'll be as satisfied as I am. He has kits for both rotary and vibratory cleaners. His e-mail is dkittydave@aol.com and his phone number is (517)-669-9801.

One last endorsement. The Thumler's Tumbler I had was a gift and I don't know how old it was. It did not seem to rotate as quickly as I thought it should. Indeed the belt was slipping. As a rude quick fix I dimpled the drive pulley with a small prick punch. That worked for awhile but then the belt worsened. A quick call to Tru-Square Metal Products at (253)-833-2310 last Friday got me a very helpful woman on the phone and a new belt and pully on Monday morning for the princely sum of $8.65 including postage! I love businesses like these.

L Ross

EDK
04-16-2008, 03:25 AM
The ceramic media has worked well for me. I got mine from SAGEBRUSH PRODUCTS at the Quigley shoot, and some extra chemical.

My THUMLERS TUMBLER is about 20 years old. I've gotten new belts and the nylon bushings from Tru-Square and it's still going strong. I could use another barrel, but this is still holding the ceramic and water mix with no leakage.

These are excellent products and sure eliminate one of the negatives of shooting black powder. PLUS the merchants are real nice folks to deal with.

:cbpour::redneck:

John Boy
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Charlie - throw some un-cooked long grain white rice in with your walnut media. I also put in some strips of the fabric softener that go in the clothes dryer. The powder coming off the cases really sticks to the strips. Ray Newman made the softener strips suggestion

One negative - if you pop the spent primers before cleaning - some of the rice grains will be in the primer hole

montana_charlie
04-24-2008, 12:27 PM
One negative - if you pop the spent primers before cleaning - some of the rice grains will be in the primer hole
As it stands now, I usually have a bit of walnut shell in the primer hole. Rice would (at least) be a change.
On the other hand, I may ask one of the neighbors for a load of wheat or barley to try.

I don't need the paper strips, as I clean in an ultrasonic machine prior to 'polishing' the brass.

The one thing I would guard against, if I ever switch to ceramic, is any practice that can cause shortening of the cases when using it.
CM

onomrbil
04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Got an ultrasonic cleaner? If you do, go get some Easy-Off BAM Lime and Grime formula cleaner. De-prime the cases first. Mix it about 5 parts water to one part cleaner and let 'er rip for 5 minutes in the tank. If not completely clean inside and out, give it a few more minutes. Rinse well in hot water.

martinibelgian
05-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Not too sure about that stuff and brass - if it's concentrated alkaline, it's not too healthy for your cases. What are the active ingredients in that stuff?
Correction - I just checked the MSDS on the stuff, and apparently it is an acid (sulphamic acid) - which is also what I use to clean my cases in the ultraconic cleaner, shouldn't be a problem if not too concentrated. And yes, this works quite well...

montana_charlie
05-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Mix it about 5 parts water to one part cleaner and let 'er rip for 5 minutes in the tank.
Are you sure about that 5:1 ratio? That would be half a pint in a 1.5 liter cleaner tank.
CM

martinibelgian
05-02-2008, 08:02 AM
FWIW, The concentrations I use are not so 'hefty' - either citric acid or Ardrox (a tablespoon for 3L of water), and 30 minutes at 50 centigrades will do the trick. Rinse, then into the tumbler to dry and done.