PDA

View Full Version : Trick for trimming 45 auto rim?

Tackleberry41
10-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Bought some of starlines auto rim brass, have plenty of 45 acp. But just figured be nice to have some ammo that doesn't require the clips. I seldom worry about trimming auto pistol brass. But it is new, so still needed to be sized and trimmed to a uniform length. Problem is going about it. The thick rim wont fit in the newer auto adjust RCBS trimmer head I have, yes RCBS makes a specific shell holder, but then requires removal of the auto head etc. Lee does not make a holder for their trimmer set up. Best I can come up with is the case on a flat metal surface so the ACP trim guide will work, but needless to say is a bit slow and not easy to hold onto.

Is there a better way?

Char-Gar
10-27-2015, 11:58 AM
I use a Wilson case trimmer and a 45 ACP (press in and press out) shell holder. They work fine for the 45 AR and the 45 Cowboy Special brass as well as the 45 ACP.

Tackleberry41
10-27-2015, 03:23 PM
If I had a pile of the brass might invest in something, but I figure 100 cases occasionally used in my old S&W are going to last a long time. Modified an extra 45 acp holder I had where they could be trimmed.

Char-Gar
10-27-2015, 03:57 PM
If I had a pile of the brass might invest in something, but I figure 100 cases occasionally used in my old S&W are going to last a long time. Modified an extra 45 acp holder I had where they could be trimmed.

OK, that takes care of that. I was going to tell you to send the 100 case to me and I would trim them, but sounds like there is no need of that now.