PDA

View Full Version : "Bringin' home the bacon"....is now BAD for your health

bangerjim
10-26-2015, 02:17 PM
The slimy liberal World Health Organization has just classified bacon, ham, and sausage ( YUMMMMMM!) as class 1 carcinogens, listing them with things such as asbestos, alcohol, and tobacco and causing colo-rectal cancers.

All cured meats are now lumped in that classification, along with all red meats.

Not gonna stop me from eating them!

Bring on the bacon-wrapped sausages!

Electric88
10-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I saw this earlier. :killingpcDefinitely not going to stop eating these amazing meats either.

I wonder what it is that those clowns even eat anymore? Everything causes cancer blah blah blah. Their lives must really suck.

NavyVet1959
10-26-2015, 02:47 PM
I wonder if they realize that LIFE is hazardous to your health? Everyone who has ever lived has either died or is currently working at it.

merlin101
10-26-2015, 02:52 PM
I wonder if they realize that LIFE is hazardous to your health? Everyone who has ever lived has either died or is currently working at it.

I've always said that life itself is a terminal disease. Since were all going to die anyway why not die happy? Hmmm i wonder if I could bacon fried bacon?

square butte
10-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Maybe the Libs will stop buying it and move the price down for us bacon eaters

bubba.50
10-26-2015, 03:03 PM
if you OD a lab rat on the healthiest foods in the world long enough it will eventually cause some kind of adverse reaction.

NavyVet1959
10-26-2015, 03:07 PM
I've always said that life itself is a terminal disease. Since were all going to die anyway why not die happy? Hmmm i wonder if I could bacon fried bacon?

Bacon, deep fried in lard, perhaps?

The best way to die happy is not to go to doctors. You might not live as long, but you're probably a lot happier at least up until the end. Besides, doctors tell you things that you probably don't want to know anyway...

MediumCore358
10-26-2015, 03:09 PM
This is the second anti pork statement I've heard in the last month! Sounds like some Muslim propaganda to me..

bangerjim
10-26-2015, 03:46 PM
The UN is run by Muuuuuzlems. I guess the WHO is too?????????

NavyVet1959
10-26-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that in this "adventure" that we call "life", I'm not going to get out of it alive.

kungfustyle
10-26-2015, 04:06 PM
And this is getting posted to a bunch of guys that melt led and shoot for fun. You bet we are on your side. Bring on the BLT and Po boy's!!!! Still gonna have ham for Christmas and sausage in the morning. George Burns had a Scotch in one hand and a Havana in the other and out lasted most Doctors.

Alan in Vermont
10-26-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that in this "adventure" that we call "life", I'm not going to get out of it alive.

It sure bothers my bushy tailed young Doc when I point that out to him.

Uncle Jimbo
10-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Flash, News Break!

It has just been found that the positive link to death has been discovered. It is birth! If you are born, you will die. No escape.

Now back to regular posting about casting bullets.

jcwit
10-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Being as my kidney's have just started to fail me, I no longer eat processed meat, bacon encl. I've also already had a bout with cancer, so not going to press my luck.

Anyway for those of you wondering you must eat processed meats daily, now and then has little to no effect.

smoked turkey
10-26-2015, 04:29 PM
I am hanging on the one I heard that dark chocolate and coffee is good for your heart. I also love that ham and bacon with my eggs for breakfast. I think the health problems a lot of people have is they live a couch potato lifestyle. Moderation and a healthful lifestyle is the key. If a person gets daily exercise and/or work I think you can eat and drink a lot of things that are supposed bad for your health as long as you do it in moderation.

Hickory
10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
......Statistical fact:
Anyone who as ever eaten, touched or seen a carrot will die.
Deadly vegetables are out there.

trapper9260
10-26-2015, 04:34 PM
They came out with so many things that is not good for you that when I was small for the lead paint and all that I play with and been around ,by today standers I should be dead now.but alot younger ones are going before me.Some thing is just not right there.Also like state it is just another anti pork by the muzzy.Just make sure you have a lot of lard for the coating on the boolits.

NavyVet1959
10-26-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm actually surprised that I have lived *this* long, considering some of the stupid cRaP I did in my younger days...

"Here... Hold my beer..."

mozeppa
10-26-2015, 04:50 PM
leading cause of death is .................................................. .birth.

Mk42gunner
10-26-2015, 05:16 PM
I am hanging on the one I heard that dark chocolate and coffee is good for your heart. I also love that ham and bacon with my eggs for breakfast. I think the health problems a lot of people have is they live a couch potato lifestyle. Moderation and a healthful lifestyle is the key. If a person gets daily exercise and/or work I think you can eat and drink a lot of things that are supposed bad for your health as long as you do it in moderation.

I think you are right. I'm not a doctor, but I think that people who actually do hard physical labor on a regular basis can eat just about anything and be healthy.

As an example, look at how much young men going through boot camp eat, and what kind of shape they are in upon graduation.

I'm actually surprised that I have lived *this* long, considering some of the stupid crap I did in my younger days...

"Here... Hold my beer..."

While I never actually said "Hold my beer and watch this." I sure would have taken better care of myself if I had known I was going to last this long.

Robert

Geezer in NH
10-26-2015, 05:28 PM
It sure bothers my bushy tailed young Doc when I point that out to him.Hard to believe a DR who is of the age of a grandkid. My father at 84 told his Dr. I will eat what I want seeing I will most likely live to be older than you will. Note dad died happy at 90.

iomskp
10-26-2015, 06:00 PM
My mother tells the story of when my grandparents where having their new house built about 80 years ago that my grandmother questioned the painter, are you sure this is lead paint, the house just sold for $920.000 my grandmother died at 95 my mother is 92 and still going strong and everything was cooked in lard.

jcwit
10-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Hard to believe a DR who is of the age of a grandkid. My father at 84 told his Dr. I will eat what I want seeing I will most likely live to be older than you will. Note dad died happy at 90.

Ya, and my dad smoked his whole life and also lived to 90.

Then I watched both my brothers die from lung cancer over a period of 5 years, they both suffered a terrible death before reaching 60, yes both smoked.

Just because your father lived to 90 only proves the fact your dad lived to 90, nothing more.

Artful
10-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Ya, and my dad smoked his whole life and also lived to 90.

Then I watched both my brothers die from lung cancer over a period of 5 years, they both suffered a terrible death before reaching 60, yes both smoked.

Just because your father lived to 90 only proves the fact your dad lived to 90, nothing more.
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/06/23/3451935/big-tobacco-hooked-cigarettes/

The cigarettes sold today are quite different (http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/press_releases/post/2014_06_23_report) from the cigarettes that were on the market five decades ago, according to the new report, and that’s because tobacco companies have done extensive research to figure out how to make smoking appealing for new customers. They’ve essentially made it easier to get hooked on their products by increasing the levels of nicotine — the addictive chemical in cigarettes — and using new additives to help enhance nicotine’s impact. They’ve also added flavoring, sugars, and menthol to mask the effect of inhaling smoke, ultimately hoping that will make it more pleasurable to use cigarettes:
http://d35brb9zkkbdsd.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/tobacco-2.jpg
“Most people would think that 50 years after we learned that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer, cigarettes would be safer. What’s shocking about the report we issued today is that we’ve found that a smoker today has more than twice the risk of lung cancer than a smoker fifty years ago, as a direct result of design changes made by the industry,” Matt Myers, the president of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, said in an interview with ThinkProgress.

shooter93
10-26-2015, 06:59 PM
The problem with studies like this one.....and I'm sure it is by design......is processed meats was added to that category which only means there is good evidence that they can cause cancer. What they don't say or hide very well is the percentage of the risk increase or the quantity needed. In this case it takes a large amount and the rate of increase is very very small.

Taylor
10-26-2015, 07:34 PM
My wife,being the professional cook that she is,apparently didn't get the memo.We had biscuits and sausage gravy for supper tonight.

Hope them folks don't discover grits.Them's a must with eggs.

xs11jack
10-26-2015, 07:36 PM
I agree with the OP, bring on the bacon. Heck I would even eat cauliflower if it was wrapped in bacon and deep fried!
Ole Jack

swamp
10-26-2015, 07:43 PM
The WHO and the UN have no credibility.

CastingFool
10-26-2015, 07:58 PM
I had bacon and an egg omelet for dinner, with lots of cheese. Last minute kinda thing. Oh, I almost forgot, toast slathered with butter and honey, too.

jcwit
10-26-2015, 08:22 PM
I had bacon and an egg omelet for dinner, with lots of cheese. Last minute kinda thing. Oh, I almost forgot, toast slathered with butter and honey, too.

And I bet you do not consider yourself obese either.:bigsmyl2:

jcwit
10-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Take note, I couldn't get the yanking chain thing to work either.

NavyVet1959
10-26-2015, 08:25 PM

Try sauteing some chopped up jalapenos and sliced mushrooms and adding them to it while frying it in bacon drippings. I prefer ham / Canadian bacon instead of regular bacon for inside the omelet though. Andouille sausage sauteed instead of the ham/bacon is also really good.

And, of course, seasoned with Tony Chachere's seasoned salt (http://www.tonychachere.com) instead of just salt and pepper... :)

TXGunNut
10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
A friend likes to saw "life is a sexually transmitted disease that is 100% fatal". All kidding aside I've been avoiding processed meats for years....but I make my own sausage and don't use nasty chemicals.

jcwit
10-26-2015, 09:25 PM
A friend likes to saw "life is a sexually transmitted disease that is 100% fatal". All kidding aside I've been avoiding processed meats for years....but I make my own sausage and don't use nasty chemicals.

I was just thinking the same, we had another thread about eating only non processed foods and having non of the processed foods, now we have this.

Guess it's all about what YOU want to eat, drink, or smoke.

NavyVet1959
10-26-2015, 09:33 PM
"He doesn't drink alcohol, smoke, cuss, chase women, or eat spicy foods or deserts and is going to be celebrating his 98th birthday".

"Uhhh... How?"

jcwit
10-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Glad he enjoyed himself!

TXGunNut
10-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I've already lived longer than I planned so it's probably too late to do much about it. I'm a happy old fat man, I love to cook, love to drink and when the mood strikes me I'll enjoy a good cigar. The whiskeys I enjoy are too expensive to enjoy very often and I also have expensive taste in cigars so most times a year or more goes by between smokes.

skeet1
10-26-2015, 10:22 PM
"World Health Organization", I heard of these people referred to as the "Food Nazis".

Ken

Sagebrush7
10-26-2015, 10:26 PM
The best thing to do is be informed and read the labels of the foods we eat. Most of us know a dog will eat just about anything! My rotty will not eat ground chuck from Wal Mart or Winn-Dixie! Me either! We have to give him his supplements with ground meat from the country store that is ground weekly. Moral of the story- don't eat things that a dog won't eat!

MaryB
10-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Chicken fried bacon

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Chicken_Fried_Bacon.jpg

MaryB
10-26-2015, 10:39 PM
They freak now if a tiny drop of mercury escapes a broken thermometer... when I was in junior high we stuck our hands into a jar of mercury, played with a drop on our desk, some got dropped on the floor and went into the gaps between boards...

They came out with so many things that is not good for you that when I was small for the lead paint and all that I play with and been around ,by today standers I should be dead now.but alot younger ones are going before me.Some thing is just not right there.Also like state it is just another anti pork by the muzzy.Just make sure you have a lot of lard for the coating on the boolits.

MaryB
10-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Grandmother on dads side lived to 98, Grandfather to 96, grandmother on mom's side lived to 110(grandpa on that side was hung for stealing horses in North Dakota... yes I have outlaws for relatives!) and they had bacon or sausage for breakfast every day! They did work hard but I am not going to die from eating bacon once a week! I am not as active but have been pretty good this summer with 2-3 hours a day in the garden, mowing, other yard work etc.

Mk42gunner
10-26-2015, 10:59 PM
... Moral of the story- don't eat things that a dog won't eat!

Just don't go on the Purina diet...

Robert

woodbutcher
10-26-2015, 11:06 PM
:twisted: If I posted what I have heard the WHO referred to,I would be permanently banned and the site shut down.I really believe any thing that comes from the WHO or CDC about as much as I believe that the Sun rises in the WEST.NavyVet.Like post 18.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Col4570
10-27-2015, 02:34 AM
My 99 year old Mother in Law died last year,she was 5 months short of 100.One of her favourite treats was Bread fried in Beef Dripping (Lard in which the meat has been cooked) topped with Bacon.At her age we could not say to her that it was bad for her,she would,nt have listened anyway.
In the main we are carnivours and have since early man/woman had a meat diet.I would have gone part way with the theory that processed Meats might not be good for us but they include Red Meats.Each Saturday the wife and I have Bacon and Omelets and Fried Tomatoes all cooked in Lard.Now We find that we have been poisoning ourselves all these years.On Sundays we usualy have Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding with Greens,the Beef is cooked in Lard and the Dripping saved to have on Toast or to cook with.
I think that at our age (79) it is a bit to late for us to detoxify and embark on Smoothy diet.:veryconfu

facetious
10-27-2015, 05:00 AM

I just wish i could avoid the parts that suck.

Lead Fred
10-27-2015, 05:17 AM
The one world gobermint is in lock step with the religion that does not eat pork, so tha, thats all folks

The One world religion is NOT going to be yours

jcwit
10-27-2015, 07:32 AM
They freak now if a tiny drop of mercury escapes a broken thermometer... when I was in junior high we stuck our hands into a jar of mercury, played with a drop on our desk, some got dropped on the floor and went into the gaps between boards...

So true.

jcwit
10-27-2015, 07:34 AM
Grandmother on dads side lived to 98, Grandfather to 96, grandmother on mom's side lived to 110(grandpa on that side was hung for stealing horses in North Dakota... yes I have outlaws for relatives!) and they had bacon or sausage for breakfast every day! They did work hard but I am not going to die from eating bacon once a week! I am not as active but have been pretty good this summer with 2-3 hours a day in the garden, mowing, other yard work etc.

And in the grand scheme of things world wide this only proves your granbdparents lived to a ripe old age, nothing more.

rush1886
10-27-2015, 08:06 AM
"He doesn't drink alcohol, smoke, cuss, chase women, or eat spicy foods or deserts and is going to be celebrating his 98th birthday".

"Uhhh... How?"

More to the point: WHY?

Handloader109
10-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Tofu for all!

NOT:bigsmyl2:

Ole Joe Clarke
10-27-2015, 08:27 AM
I am a life long, 2nd level, vegetarian. I've managed 72 years by the grace of God. The cows eat the grass, and I eat the cows.

Prospector Howard
10-27-2015, 09:42 AM
It's not the meat that's the real problem, It's all the chemicals and preservatives added to the meats that'll kill you. The corporations that supply all the processed foods to the masses make bigger profits that way and don't care one bit if we die a little early, in fact I've always thought they want it that way. The government and elite would love it if all the "slaves" died the day after we retired. Then they get to use all the money you paid in for social security and medicare.

dragon813gt
10-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Have you ever eaten in a foreign country, besides Mexico? The food tastes better and you feel good after eating it. The processed foods really are a form of poison. There is no need for high fructose corn syrup or sugar to be in everything. Along w/ all the chemicals they use for no good reason. The less processed foods I eat the better I feel.

We somehow need to convince the vegetarians/vegans and other wackos that the healthiest thing for them to eat is a second harvest from a meat eater :laugh:

Taylor
10-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Korea,they let you pick your dog.

NavyVet1959
10-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Korea,they let you pick your dog.

When I was there, it seemed that it was the Chinese restaurants in Korea that were serving dog and not the Korean restaurants. Maybe that was just the area where I was at.

Actually, my favorite food there was some sort of tempura shrimp food stand that was setup right outside the gate at the Osan Air Base. Even without ketchup it was good.

Col4570
10-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Todays Dinner,Pork Chop cooked in Lard,Sweet Potatoes roasted round the Meat,Sweetcorn,Climbing French Beans.Lovely Grub.Seriously if Bacon etc was bad for us would,nt there be a massive campaign by governments to reduce our intake or even placing a ban on the products on the grounds that they are poisonous.Here in the UK Bacon or/and Sausage Sandwiches and a strong cup of tea have for generations fortified those on the move going about their daily work schedules.

Geezer in NH
10-27-2015, 05:03 PM
I agree with the OP, bring on the bacon. Heck I would even eat cauliflower if it was wrapped in bacon and deep fried!
Ole Jack:2_high5::2_high5::goodpost:[smilie=w:

Geezer in NH
10-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Try sauteing some chopped up jalapenos and sliced mushrooms and adding them to it while frying it in bacon drippings. I prefer ham / Canadian bacon instead of regular bacon for inside the omelet though. Andouille sausage sauteed instead of the ham/bacon is also really good.

And, of course, seasoned with Tony Chachere's seasoned salt (http://www.tonychachere.com) instead of just salt and pepper... :)Canadian bacon is like kissing your sister why bother or when you like it, perverted IMHO :bigsmyl2::kidding:

Geezer in NH
10-27-2015, 05:10 PM

"Uhhh... How?"Better question is why?

I spent allmy money on loose women, and drink, the rest I pissed away

NavyVet1959
10-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Canadian bacon is like kissing your sister why bother or when you like it, perverted IMHO :bigsmyl2::kidding:

Actually, "Canadian" bacon (referred to as "back bacon" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_bacon) in Canada) is just cured pork loin. Around here, I can often find pork loin for less than $2 per pound, but "Canadian" bacon is usually quite a bit more expensive. I usually just use some sort of cured ham in my omelets and saute it with the mushrooms and jalapenos before putting it in the omelet with the cheese and folding it over.

jcwit
10-27-2015, 08:01 PM
It's not the meat that's the real problem, It's all the chemicals and preservatives added to the meats that'll kill you. The corporations that supply all the processed foods to the masses make bigger profits that way and don't care one bit if we die a little early, in fact I've always thought they want it that way. The government and elite would love it if all the "slaves" died the day after we retired. Then they get to use all the money you paid in for social security and medicare.

How right you are.

xman777
10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
These are the same dimwits that labeled Pizza a vegetable last year. I had to flee my own office after hearing a colleague say that pizza was a vegetable. I wasn't sure weather or not to choke slam him or backhand him, so I did what any man with a good mother would do and just left him there in his own stank.

MaryB
10-27-2015, 11:42 PM
Make your own! Canadian bacon isn't smoked so all you have to do is rub it down with cure, bag it and let it hang out in the fridge for 10-14 days.

Actually, "Canadian" bacon (referred to as "back bacon" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_bacon) in Canada) is just cured pork loin. Around here, I can often find pork loin for less than $2 per pound, but "Canadian" bacon is usually quite a bit more expensive. I usually just use some sort of cured ham in my omelets and saute it with the mushrooms and jalapenos before putting it in the omelet with the cheese and folding it over.

bangerjim
10-28-2015, 11:59 AM
For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2.The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than
Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you!

jcwit
10-28-2015, 12:10 PM
For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2.The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than
Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you!

And in none of those countries are people as lazy as we are here. Well #2 is debateable maybe.

gwpercle
10-28-2015, 05:04 PM
I don't believe a word of them high profile studies, remember how eggs were so bad for you, high cholesterol etc.......NOT, that study was wrong ! New study... eggs are good for you...
Give me a break !
I'm not giving up bacon, baloney or beer. And when I go to the ball game....hot dogs will be consumed in mass quantities !
Gary

flint45
10-28-2015, 07:41 PM
I'am tired of the healh police they can go to .......... you fill in the blank.

snuffy
10-30-2015, 01:26 PM
I see a bunch of people here that are in denial. Denying that what they're eating may harm them. I was too. In 2002 I had a stent put in my LAD artery to bridge a narrow spot in the artery. I was told I would have to avoid fats, salt and get more exercise. At first I was vigilant, reading labels. I switched to skim milk, did some other changes to my diet. In 2005 I found out I'm also a type 2 diabetic. So here comes more restrictions, lower carbs, no more sugar.

Last summer I noticed the old angina, that get me to the doctor for the stent, had returned after doing some exercising on a treadmill. I put off going to a doctor, but my son said get in there! Cut to the chase, on 12-17-14 I had CABG surgery to bypass 3 clogged coronary arteries. When I woke up in ICU, I vowed to make the life style changes to prevent ever having that surgery again. That hurt! Now I've had multiple surgeries in the past, no where near what had just been done to my body. Recovery is long and painful, and still is not over.

My daughter-in-law is a detician. Just don't call her a food Nazi. She spent 4 years to get a degree, then one year as an intern working in a VA hospital with a team of deticians. She is now going for her masters degree. I listen intently when she points out things others don't notice about diet as it concerns me. Oh, she's also a fabulous cook! I spent last weekend at their apartment, they were just married back in June, was fun watching newlyweds. The first visit I could make since they wed. Matt is finishing his BA degree, then will enter medical school to be come a PA, (Physicians Assistant). He's already a paramedic/fireman. They live clear over on the other side of Wisconsin, a 3 hour trip.

Reverend Al
10-31-2015, 01:34 AM
Forget the report! Support our pigs!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/Support%20Bacon_zps5co9rbv8.jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/Support%20Bacon_zps5co9rbv8.jpg.html)

jcwit
10-31-2015, 01:32 PM
More funerals = more money.

Right Rev.?

Reverend Al
11-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Something is going to get you in the end ... so you might as well enjoy the time you get!

NavyVet1959
11-01-2015, 01:38 AM
Something is going to get you in the end ... so you might as well enjoy the time you get!

As they say, "Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow..."

jcwit
11-01-2015, 01:15 PM

Keeping my health allowes me to enjoy the time longer.

slohunter
11-01-2015, 05:39 PM
World who?

MaryB
11-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Patty melt somewhere under the bacon! Was tasty too!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/IMG_20151101_1836154871_zpsvpeiszs4.jpg

NavyVet1959
11-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Keeping my health allowes me to enjoy the time longer.

Or to suffer the torture of no bacon or having to eat tasteless foot for a lot longer. It all depends upon your point of view.

Personally, I shooting for the case where the pathologist opens me up during the autopsy and say, "Hell, I don't know how he lived *this* long!"

Driver man
11-02-2015, 01:43 AM
Patty melt somewhere under the bacon! Was tasty too!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/IMG_20151101_1836154871_zpsvpeiszs4.jpg

Its the bread that's no good for you.

smokeywolf
11-02-2015, 06:53 AM
I'm making ham and eggs for breakfast. Don't worry, I'll take my aspirin... http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/new-recommendations-say-more-americans-should-take-aspirin-n427101

Aspirin reduces the risk of colorectal cancer.

jcwit
11-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Why not just take up smoking? After all we all know cigarettes are harmless. Just do/eat/live however, never bother going to Dr., drive like an idiot, tempt fate to the limit, after all, when your times up, it's up.

Science knows nothing, medical science has helped man not one bit. Just live life with no care for the future, let's see how all that will work out!

Good Luck!

dragon813gt
11-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Good thing it's a free country and we are able to do just do that. If you wish to live a healthy lifestyle then by all means do so. I'm somewhere in the middle. I only have so much time on this earth and I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible.

NavyVet1959
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Why not just take up smoking? After all we all know cigarettes are harmless. Just do/eat/live however, never bother going to Dr., drive like an idiot, tempt fate to the limit, after all, when your times up, it's up.

Science knows nothing, medical science has helped man not one bit. Just live life with no care for the future, let's see how all that will work out!

Good Luck!

Don't smoke... Can't stand the smell...

Other than that, I pretty much don't go to doctors except for cases where I screwed up and it resulted in broken bones or uncontrolled bleeding.

How will this turn out? Same way restricting what I eat and do will turn out -- I'll be dead in the end.

jcwit
11-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Don't smoke... Can't stand the smell...

Other than that, I pretty much don't go to doctors except for cases where I screwed up and it resulted in broken bones or uncontrolled bleeding.

How will this turn out? Same way restricting what I eat and do will turn out -- I'll be dead in the end.

True, but I like to stretch it out as long as possible, moderation in everything.

Anyway, I was taught my body is a temple, don't abuse it!

And you might think different about going to the Dr. After being diagnosed with cancer or some other major illness.

NavyVet1959
11-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Good thing it's a free country and we are able to do just do that. If you wish to live a healthy lifestyle then by all means do so. I'm somewhere in the middle. I only have so much time on this earth and I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible.

Someone once said that we're all the same age. We've lived for as long as we can remember and we have no idea how much longer we will continue to live. The difference is how many experiences you have managed to put into that time.

dtknowles
11-02-2015, 11:50 AM
There are actuarial tables and statistics but we are all unique. You can play the odds or put your chip on 00. As far as having to have sausage or bacon or steak to have tasty food to eat, those people are missing some great food. I do eat some really rich, fatty food sometimes but try to stay away from heavily process foods like sausage and bacon from big processors or retail and fast food restaurants because sometimes it makes me feel tired or bloated afterward. Some one mentioned moderation, I say only party to excess in Moderation, save it for special occasions and it will stay special.

Tim

NavyVet1959
11-02-2015, 12:03 PM
I do eat some really rich, fatty food sometimes but try to stay away from heavily process foods like sausage and bacon from big processors or retail and fast food restaurants because sometimes it makes me feel tired or bloated afterward.

Gotta have andouille sausage and tasso for gumbo... :)

dtknowles
11-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Gotta have andouille sausage and tasso for gumbo... :)

Yes you do, and I do too. Not much sausage or tasso in a bowl of gumbo, just enough for it to be delicious. Red beans would not be right without smoked sausage. Jambalaya needs a bit of sausage too. That is not at all like eating a big old sausage on a bun. Two things kill in New Orleans, bullets and the food but at least with the food you die with a smile on your face.

Tim

NavyVet1959
11-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Two things kill in New Orleans, bullets and the food but at least with the food you die with a smile on your face.

Hot link sandwiches... Fried oyster po-boys... Mmmmm...

jcwit
11-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Ya know folks, if you go waaaaaaaay back to the OP and dig up the study you need to eat bacon every day, or hotdogs every day, or whatever processed meat every day.

No one is saying you can't have your hot dog, you just can't have your hot dog in town!

No wait, that's from somewhere else. LOL

MaryB
11-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Homemade potato bread from organic wheat. I grind my own flour. Recipe is from Bread Bakers Apprentice. For this one I sift out the bran(save it to add to waffles!) and use a white winter wheat.

Beef is grass fed organic, bacon is from a small local processor who dry cures so it doesn't ooze that white watery stuff when cooked. I eat local as much as possible!

Its the bread that's no good for you.

MaryB
11-03-2015, 12:20 AM
That supper was a once in a great while meal. Tonight was a big salad, 2 hamburger patties(no bread) and some homemade hash-browns from a potato from my own garden. Beef is grass fed organic, greens are organic from my garden, same for the potato!

True, but I like to stretch it out as long as possible, moderation in everything.

Anyway, I was taught my body is a temple, don't abuse it!

And you might think different about going to the Dr. After being diagnosed with cancer or some other major illness.

jcwit
11-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Sounds like a good supper! But in my case I'd have to cut to only 1 small hamburger patty.

I say moderation in everything, well today that's what it is no energy for any more than moderation, and it's a eat little, eat often. No salt, kidneys failing, no sugar, diabetic. Such is life at 72, but I'm still warm, and Lord willing I'll wake up in the morning. If not, I pray he'll take me home.

smokeywolf
11-03-2015, 12:41 AM
Moderation is what I "try" to practice. We eat a variety of foods. American, Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean. Mrs. smokeywolf makes most of our bread, thereby avoiding GMOs and other unhealthy ingredients. Eat fish once every week or two.

I've started getting up at about 3:30 or so every morning and making a hot breakfast for the family. Usually fix either: french toast; pancakes; waffles; cream of wheat; bacon, sausage or ham & eggs with hash browns; corned beef hash & eggs; oatmeal; if we have left-over rice I'll throw that in a pan with egg whites, onions and ham, spam or sausage. Try to include a portion of fruit with breakfast.

Eat pretty healthy part of the time, not so healthy the other part.

MaryB
11-03-2015, 10:19 PM
I like whole wheat waffles. Beat the egg whites to soft peak stage and fold into the rest of the ingredients. Makes for a fluffier crispy waffle! I freeze the excess and reheat them in the waffle iron to re-crisp them. Straight from the freezer into the waffle iron for 2-3 minutes. Local unfiltered honey on top for me!

smokeywolf
11-04-2015, 11:12 AM
My youngest teenage son prefers whole wheat waffles. Kids like our home canned strawberries or blueberries and cool whip on top of their waffles.

winchester85
11-04-2015, 11:34 PM
we are all going to die from something.
i do not eat totally poorly, but i am sure not a health nut.
i have no health insurance. i ride a motorcycle without a helmet. i raft class V water. i spend many nights out in the wilderness. i frame houses for a living with a saw that has no guard, and walk 12' walls like they are sidewalks.

when my time is up, it is up.
if i get cancer or something like that, then it is my time. i will not fight it.

we all choose to live how we do. just do not tell me how i should live!

jcwit
11-04-2015, 11:57 PM
when my time is up, it is up.
if i get cancer or something like that, then it is my time. i will not fight it.

we all choose to live how we do. just do not tell me how i should live!

I fought it! So far I've won! The last 15 years have sure been worth it! Been able to watch 3 Grand Daughters grow up. Able to grow my gun collection. Made hundreds of friends. Helped and served of our local American Legion Honor Guard.

Sure glad I did fight it, all of this never would have happened. And by and large I still feel good, at least for a 72 year old man.

Having no health insurance proves just what???????????????

dtknowles
11-05-2015, 12:05 AM
I fought it! So far I've won! The last 15 years have sure been worth it! Been able to watch 3 Grand Daughters grow up. Able to grow my gun collection. Made hundreds of friends. Helped and served of our local American Legion Honor Guard.

Sure glad I did fight it, all of this never would have happened. And by and large I still feel good, at least for a 72 year old man.

That there is a chance that he will become a burden on society even if he would try to avoid it. Not really his fault, the bleeding hearts have a hard time letting people just die. They want to save everyone even it that have to restrict your freedom for your own good.

Tim

NavyVet1959
11-05-2015, 05:35 AM

Well, it means that he pays around $9K less than I do per year. :(

Driver man
11-23-2015, 12:04 AM
Is health insurance a major cost in the US

smokeywolf
11-23-2015, 12:49 AM

Monthly insurance premium is pretty much like a second mortgage payment.

Before obamacare, sister paid <$800.00 per month plus $2,000 deductible per year. After obamacare she pays $1,000.00 per month and $7,000.00 per year deductible. She's paying $19,000.00 per year and getting absolutely nothing in return.

Before obamacare, illegal aliens and baby mama's went to county ERs to get their medical needs taken care of. Our taxes would pay those bills. Now, those same taxes are still collected from us, but the obamacare insurance premiums pay those medical bills for the criminal aliens and welfare mamas. obamacare is just a well disguised tax increase.

Costco has started carrying pork belly (uncured, unsliced bacon) in their meat case. Much leaner than cured & processed packaged bacon and easily trimmed to make it leaner yet. My family loves it. I sprinkle some "butt rub" on it while it fries and the family is hovering around the stove waiting for the next batch to come out of the pan.

Driver man
11-23-2015, 01:17 AM
I'm curious, what happens if you cant pay or if you don't have cover and get a major illness etc

jcwit
11-23-2015, 01:24 AM
I'm curious, what happens if you cant pay or if you don't have cover and get a major illness etc

They treat you, turn the bills overto a collection agency, you work out a payment plan and maybe someday pay it off. Much depends on the state you live in also.

Driver man
11-23-2015, 01:49 AM
It certainly pays to try and eat healthy then. I think much illness is a result of a modern diet and lack of exercise . Its good we can cast boolits and get some exercise shooting them and if lucky eat the results. I will still eat bacon and sausages etc but in moderation.I think the main thing to avoid is processed carbohydrates, I think the modern scourge of diabetes is due to processed carbohydrates, corn syrup sugar and bread being the worst. Sigh .. all the things that taste good.

NavyVet1959
11-23-2015, 02:34 AM

Well, I pay over $9K per year and it covers very little. Discount on some prescriptions and a high deductible that I never make. I'm pretty sure that I don't get $9K worth of benefits out of it per year. It's mainly for those major things that will quickly drain your savings like cancer or transplants.

Col4570
11-23-2015, 05:45 AM
There is nothing quite like the smell of Bacon frying then served with a couple of Eggs and some fried in the Bacon fat Bread.I know it is fingers crossed healthwise,but to me it is food for the Gods.

Driver man
11-23-2015, 05:47 AM
Add tomato , onion and hash browns too that and I'd agree

Col4570
11-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Yes the Tomatoes do add another dimension to the meal or maybe Baked Beans and HP Sauce or Ketchup.

gray wolf
11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
It's the potassium nitrates, and some of the other things they use to preserve the sliced meats, bacon
and many other meats.

And yes they are Cancer causing, like it or not.

jcwit
11-23-2015, 05:21 PM
True grey wolf, also the sodium content. Makes one retain water which if they have high blood pressure is not a good thing.

xdmalder
11-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Sodium content has been shown by some to be a misleading cause for high blood pressure. It will cause it but sugar has the same effect and our bodies need salt. That being said it is the processed salts that are bad for our health. Go to a natural salt like Himalayan salt. Kosher and most sea salts are still processed.

jcwit
11-23-2015, 10:08 PM
Talk to a renal specialist all about the salt and Himalayan salt issue. I have, as I'm on a strict limited salt diet because of failing kidney function. I know more than a little bit about the issue of water retention, as I'm being treated for it.

Common salt is a mineral composed primarily of sodium chloride, a chemical compound belonging to the larger class of salts; salt in its natural form as a crystalline mineral is known as rock salt or halite. Now then sodium is an element, makes no difference whether it's natural or not, it's nuclear composition is the same no matter what you call it.

Now chlorine is the anion, meaning it is a negatively charged ion. It is formed when the element chlorine (a halogen) gains an electron or when a compound such as hydrogen chloride is dissolved in water or other polar solvents. Chloride salts such as sodium chloride are often very soluble in water. It is an essential electrolyte located in all body fluids responsible for maintaining acid/base balance, transmitting nerve impulses and regulating fluid in and out of cells. It's chemical & nuclear makeup also can not be changed naturally or otherwise, no matter what one wishes to call it.

Himalayan is nothing more than salt from a long ago dried us sea. Yes I know it comes from mountain areas, but still was at one time a sea floor.

Kosher is nothing more than salt that has been blessed by a Rabbi.

There, I guess we've had our chemistry lesson today.

Now then back to bacon, as with all things good, in moderation there is no problem for a healthy person.

xdmalder
11-23-2015, 10:19 PM
I guess I never should of went to school for being a biochemistry major

jcwit
11-23-2015, 10:32 PM

jcwit
11-23-2015, 10:39 PM
If you do not understand chemical make-up and the nuclear make-up of the elements and compounds, maybe you are correct in the fact of you should not have bothered.

BTW, the pink color of Himalayan salt is nothing more than iron oxide. Same stuff that makes red paint, natural or otherwise.

xdmalder
11-23-2015, 10:43 PM
And yet I have had no cancer and my kidneys are doing great along with every other organ in my body. And I haven't been to a doctor in over 15 years (broken arm)

jcwit
11-23-2015, 10:56 PM
And yet I have had no cancer and my kidneys are doing great along with every other organ in my body. And I haven't been to a doctor in over 15 years (broken arm)

So just how old are you?

My dad smoked all his life, according to him started at the age of 12, that would have been back in 1911. Other than kidney stones I never saw him sick a day until smoking finally caught up to him, at the age of 85, he died in 1988 at the age of 89.

Now do you suppose he would have lived in perfect health till he was 110 if he had not smoked?

Just the fact you have not been sick only mean you have not been sick. No cancer? How do you know since you have not been to a Dr.? When was the last time you had a blood test, an x-ray, a colonoscopy, or any other check-ups? For all you know you may well be riddled with cancer. I pray not tho.

BTW, My cancer has been in remission for 14/15 years now.

jcwit
11-23-2015, 10:59 PM
You know we can banter back and forth forever, you ready, however I will need to get some shuteye.

MaryB
11-24-2015, 01:16 AM
My once a week treat for supper tonight, bacon(my homemade buckboard cottage bacon) fried, hash browns fried in a lot of butter, eggs fried in butter/bacon fat. Bacon on the bottom, then the hash browns, then the eggs over easy. Break the yoke and let it mix down into the hash browns and pig out time! The cottage bacon is more like a bacon ham in flavor so it works well as a base for this kind of meal!

Yes I had a salad with romaine, carrot, cabbage first! Have to keep my intake of green steady being on coumadin. Plus it somewhat offsets the fat overload of the meal I had!

jcwit
11-24-2015, 01:47 AM
Mary, it sounds super, but I'm more than sure you are more active Than I am. Twenty years ago I could wolfed that down and burned it up in the following morning. But 20 years on top of 50 changed things a bunch.

Have at it, and enjoy as long as possible, with luck maybe you might go longer than I.

MaryB
11-24-2015, 02:17 AM
It is a once a week at most meal. Most of the time I have grass fed beef, salad, some form of potato or bread(homemade from organic heirloom wheat, modern wheat and my stomach do not agree!), or baked or smoked chicken. Pork chops now and then but they are not high on my list of foods.