PDA

View Full Version : Moose in the freezer!

blackthorn
10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Got a mature Bull Moose draw this year in ManagementUnit 7-9 (Prince George). This year the game department also said that old guys(over 65) had an open season for Moose calf (Oct 10-25), and immature bulls wereopen for anyone. Usually hunt with my youngest son who lived there for the lastmany years. After I got the draw he decided to move to Hope, and he has a dog hecan’t farm out so he was not able to hunt with me this year. Talked to myoldest son who lives in Quesnel (1&1/2) hours south of Prince George. Hehas a habit of working 7 days a week (millwright) at the sawmill, but he took 2days off work attached to the Thanksgiving weekend. This would give us threedays to try and fill my tag. So—to Quesnel (Oct 9) Thanksgiving dinner at mysons place (Oct 10) to Prince George (Oct 11) rent motel for three days, dump ourstuff in the room and take a drive. Saw a big cow moose, couldn’t shoot that!We went up an old logging road until we ran out of road and right at the end,in the clear-cut was a cow and a calf Moose. Made sure it was a calf anddropped it, 150yds+ off the road. Gutted it out, got his quad out of the truck,hooked it to the Moose and dragged it out to the road. Backed the quad into thetruck, hooked its winch line to the Moose and pulled it onto the tailgate. Tiedit in, and took off for his place to skin and hang it up. That took us until12:30 AM when we got back to the motel in Prince George. Spent the next 2 dayslooking for an immature bull to fill his tag. No luck, but we do have Moose toeat! Carcass weighed 322lbs at the butcher. We did get a few grouse as well.All in all a good trip! One thing though, even though the recovery on the moosewas easy, I found out I REALLY need to get into better shape if I am going tohunt Moose next season!! At 76 it took me a good 5 days to get over the work wedid have to do.

Iowa Fox
10-26-2015, 07:08 PM
I hope you blasted it with one of your own boolits. Big Whitetails are enough for me anymore, can't imagine a moose. We butchered a lot of beef at home over the years but always right by where you hung them to cool.

starmac
10-27-2015, 01:29 AM
Sounds like a great hunt, and in a beautifull part of the country too.

blackthorn
10-27-2015, 12:16 PM
I have not tried to shoot cast out of my 300 Weatherby (yet). I took the Moose with one shot using a 180gr Nosler Partisan hand load.

It has been several years since my oldest son and I have been able to go Moose hunting together. I told him how much I appreciate him taking time off from work to go this year. I just hope I got across how much it means. Yes, BC is a beautiful province. I came here from Manitoba in 1956, at age 17 and was only able to stay for a couple of months. I went back to Manitoba for the winter and the first morning I looked out the window at my dad's farm and could hardly wait to get back to BC! The area in Manitoba I came from was quite a pretty place with a small river, hills with scrub Oak, Willow and Aspen groves, but it can't hold a candle to BC for me.

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2015, 02:13 PM
a calf that weights what 3 whitetail do. Not a bad day hunting!

lefty o
10-27-2015, 02:16 PM
a calf that weights what 3 whitetail do. Not a bad day hunting!

that would be 3 texas whitetail! lol

Iowa Fox
10-27-2015, 04:09 PM
I know exactly what your saying about hunting with your sons. Mine are in their 40's now and every minute they can spare for the old man is a treat for me. Same goes for my daughter & grandkids.

Geezer in NH
10-27-2015, 05:18 PM
that would be 3 texas whitetail! lolBig ones at that!!!

TXGunNut
10-27-2015, 09:44 PM
that would be 3 texas whitetail! lol

North Texas white tail, maybe. Calf that size probably had a gut pile as big as a S. Texas white tail. They're plenty big for me, tho. Freezer still pretty full from last year so will only harvest one pig or deer. Dressed and quartered a deer AND a hog last year in one day with a hangover to boot. Not doing that again, lol.
I think moose hunters need big families or hungry friends. That's a lot of meat on the hoof, even a calf.