PDA

View Full Version : NRA Whittington Center, Raton, NM

TXGunNut
10-26-2015, 12:16 AM
How many of you are aware of the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, New Mexico? Do you know that it is actually 15 or so world-class ranges dedicated to quite a few disciplines (and national/regional/state/local matches) as well as housing and a rapidly developing museum and gift shop? Did you know that the historic Santa Fe Trail passes thru the scenic 33,000+ acre property?
Did you know that the NRAWC is funded entirely by donations? Did you know that the public is welcome, you don't have to be a member to visit?
Last weekend I spoke to a nice couple from the TX panhandle, they were considering a weekend cabin/getaway. I told them a weekend place needs as much or more work than a primary residence. At NRAWC you just show up, put your clothes in the dresser/closet, food in the fridge and go shooting. That's why I'm a member, even if I can only manage one or two stays/year.
Another couple this past weekend were on their first trip there. They lived less than two hours away. Good folks, we talked politics, guns and many other subjects. When they were getting ready to leave we prayed together.
I just realized I've been going to NRAWC for 30 years now and have met many wonderful people there. Many trips there were as a comp shooter or support for a match, others were simply an opportunity to hide out and clear my head. It's a ten hour drive for me and worth every minute of it.
When will I see you there? Have I seen you there?

Bzcraig
10-26-2015, 01:16 AM
Sounds like it would be a great place to visit

rancher1913
10-26-2015, 09:09 AM
supposedly they have a stone crossbow. almost made it there last week but drill rig had problems, headed back that way the end of the week and with any luck will have time to kill and can go see the museum.

onceabull
10-26-2015, 12:58 PM
The NRA Whittington Center is an aspect of the organization that ,even the most rabid Knoxites ,have a hard time finding something to criticize...AND,don'f forget the hunting opportunities---Onceabull

Idz
10-26-2015, 01:44 PM
I've driven by there many times but never had time to stop. I signed up for a membership so now I have an excuse to check it out!

southpaw
10-26-2015, 02:28 PM
I was there in the summer of 2002. It was my last year in 4h and I had made the national team for shotgun in Pa. We placed second as a team I took 3rd in sporting clays and 7th overall.

Beautiful place, wish we had more time to see everything. I hope to someday make it back down there.

Jerry Jr.

shooter93
10-26-2015, 07:01 PM
With all the money I have given the NRA/ILA I'll never be able to afford a trip out there.....lol.

Circuit Rider
10-26-2015, 08:29 PM
TXGunNut, Been thinking about it for a vacation next year and meet my Daughter and her hubby there. Does any one know if there might be a place near to prospect for gold. My son-in-law is big into it? CR

Clay M
10-26-2015, 08:36 PM
It is right over the hill from Trinidad ,Co.
I have been there for gunsmithing school.
I have never been to Raton, though someday I may make the trip.
If I ever get good enough with my Sharps..

Love Life
10-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Myself and the prior Jarhead buddies (I'm the last one in...) are planning a trip out there next year.

pjames32
10-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Great place. All of you need to visit.
PJ

TXGunNut
10-26-2015, 10:11 PM
I'll let you in on a little secret, there's an historic hotel just up the road in Cimarron that has a chef-prepared burger that is probably the best I've had. Has one of the prettiest old bars I've ever seen, just follow the signs to the St James. If you or your Scout has ever been to Philmont you drove right past it.
If you're planning a trip to Whittington Center please PM me, I'll give you a few tips on housing and other important things that will make your first trip there more enjoyable.

Cowpoke
10-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Heading to Raton the end of December for an Elk hunt. Planning on being there a day or two early so we can visit the Whittington Center and sight in our rifles. Can't wait, gonna be fun!!

Dutchman
10-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Stayed there a few days in 1995. Camped down by the pistol range and had the whole range to myself. Must've been the off season:-).

Dutch

Rufus Krile
10-27-2015, 12:09 AM
TXGunNut, Been thinking about it for a vacation next year and meet my Daughter and her hubby there. Does any one know if there might be a place near to prospect for gold. My son-in-law is big into it? CR Drive south to Cimarron and turn right... follow the river to Eagle Nest and then to Red River... It's ALL old gold mining country and you can pan any of the rivers except the Vermejo (private land). Used to see a teacher that panned all summer up the middle fork of the Red and made as much as he would've teaching summer school.

TXGunNut
10-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Stayed there a few days in 1995. Camped down by the pistol range and had the whole range to myself. Must've been the off season:-).

Dutch

Maybe not. I generally have the range to myself, sometimes another shooter of small group of shooters.

TXGunNut
10-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Heading to Raton the end of December for an Elk hunt. Planning on being there a day or two early so we can visit the Whittington Center and sight in our rifles. Can't wait, gonna be fun!!

Sounds great, hope you have a great hunt. Saw a couple of very impressive elk racks in the back of pickups last week. NRAWC is a popular stop for hunters in that area. Met a family there last year, two teenage sons had wrangled permission to hunt the nearby Maxwell Ranch. Both scored nice antelope.

mac266
10-28-2015, 07:46 AM
It's about 3 1/2 hours from my house in Colorado. About 10 years ago, before children, we spent a day shooting down there. It's a great place.

BrentD
10-28-2015, 08:38 AM
I spend two weeks there every summer. It is, indeed, a grand place for those seriously in interested in shooting at any level.

MtGun44
10-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Is it possible to use a 600 or 1000 yard range without a match going on?

BrentD
10-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Call them and ask. You will need access to target frames.

TXGunNut
10-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Is it possible to use a 600 or 1000 yard range without a match going on?

They have a very good 1000 yard high-power range, match schedule is posted on the website. AFAIK the frames stay in the pits, or at least some do. Haven't been in the pits for awhile so a little research might be a good idea.

Circuit Rider
10-31-2015, 07:46 AM
Rufus, Thanks for the info on gold panning! CR

bullet maker 57
10-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Sounds like a place I would want to visit.