PDA

View Full Version : A good/inexpensive rifle to try BPCR

218bee
04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
hey guys, I have been shooting for 40 some years and reloading for almost as long (God bless my dad) , and have always thought it would be fun to play with a black powder cartridge rifle. Since I am about to start casting it seems like now is as good a time to start as any. What would I use it for.....well mainly just shooting fun, would love to try silohuette but if I did it would not be as a serious competitor just for fun. So anyway what would be a rifle I could get for say under $700 that would give me a taste of this BPCR ? I do have a Marlin 1895Cowboy but would dread the thought of cleaning it after using black. I am thinking more of a single shot. I ocasionally run across an old Springfield Trapdoor or does anyone use the Handi-rifle in 45/70 or 38/55 to shoot black powder in. What are your suggestions? I really don't want to invest in a C Sharps or even a Pedorsoli at this point. Just wondering your thoughts

August
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
The handi-rifle is about the only answer to your question.

Don McDowell
04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
hey guys, I have been shooting for 40 some years and reloading for almost as long (God bless my dad) , and have always thought it would be fun to play with a black powder cartridge rifle. Since I am about to start casting it seems like now is as good a time to start as any. What would I use it for.....well mainly just shooting fun, would love to try silohuette but if I did it would not be as a serious competitor just for fun. So anyway what would be a rifle I could get for say under $700 that would give me a taste of this BPCR ? I do have a Marlin 1895Cowboy but would dread the thought of cleaning it after using black. I am thinking more of a single shot. I ocasionally run across an old Springfield Trapdoor or does anyone use the Handi-rifle in 45/70 or 38/55 to shoot black powder in. What are your suggestions? I really don't want to invest in a C Sharps or even a Pedorsoli at this point. Just wondering your thoughts

Staying under 700 and getting a good rifle is going to be danged tuff. Might hope to find somebodies used Italian built gun, or possibly someone with an old trapdoor in good shape that they don'tQuite know what they have. A basic CSharps 75 model at 1300 is about as good as you can get for the money.
Don't be afraid to try black in your Marlin. Cleaning bp is quicker and easier than smokeless, provided you used a good bp lube in the first place. A dry patch followed by 3 or 4 damp patches is usually all it takes unless you've got some lead laying in the grooves. Soak the cases in some soapy water , dry and put them thru the tumbler and you're done.

Bullshop
04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Get ahold of madcaster, he has been trying to sell a roller in 45/70 with some accessories for $700.00
If that dont pan out for ya I also have one that is almost done.
Its a smokless roller with Numrich half round half octi. heavy barrel.
Havnt priced it yet as I have to figure up what I have in it at this point, but for sure it will be under the mark you set for price.
Blessings
BIC/BS

JSnover
04-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Dan,
Please post some pics when it's finished. I'd be interested if there are no other takers.

PatMarlin
04-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I bought a real nice trap door with pristene barrel for $800. They are out there if you keep looking.

boommer
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
hi Nick your welcome to shoot some of mine to give you a idea what you would like.call me could come out to your place this weekend if weather cleans up!!

04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm another one for the H&R. Fantastic gun for the money. I love the Buffalo Classic in .45-70. I'm sure you would be happy with one. If you get hooked into casting and the single shot, the BC would put you in good stead for years. If you get a wild hair, you could always sell it and spend much more for one of the racier jobs.

218bee
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
boommer, yeah lets see how weather goes. would love to shoot some....Nick

boommer
04-11-2008, 12:17 AM
725 is right the buff classic is a great rifle for the money it will shoot. The only problem with them is rear sight elevation 150 yards at best with black loads but fixable. But you shoot what I have and it will give you a good idea where you want to go. heck i will have you shooting black in that lever when I show you how to keep the action clean and clean her up not that big of a deal. Will get together maybe this weekend but weather don't look good even for casting.

bushka
04-11-2008, 10:12 AM
just buy a Meacham and be done with it.

John Boy
04-24-2008, 10:56 PM
So anyway what would be a rifle I could get for say under $700 that would give me a taste of this BPCR ?
Bee - the H&R Buffalo Classic is the rifle. Barrel made by Green Mountain - put a vernier on the wrist stock and it will shoot 1000yds ... mine does

NickSS
04-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Get the buffalo classic and a good tang sight you can screw into the wrist of the stock and you will have a good starting point. they shoot well and cost under $400 in most places I have seen.

wills
04-28-2008, 05:58 PM
You can shoot black powder cartridges in it, but it won’t qualify for competition.

http://www.yauponcreek.org/BPCRSHistory.htm

northmn
04-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I ahve a H&R Buff and also like it for my purposes. Some say it qualifies for competition some do not. It likely would not stand up against the more expensive heavier barreled custom guns anyway. I got a deer with mine and have played with a variety of loads. I only neck size my brass for it as the chamber dimensions are generous, but it works fine and shoots about as well as my older eyes and iron sights let me. It is a good candidate for those who need a scope due to aging eyes or whatever. I think the idea of a vernier sight is a great one if you need to shoot that far.

Northmn

zipdog
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Dan, have you sold this? If not, what caliber?

Its a smokless roller with Numrich half round half octi. heavy barrel.
Havnt priced it yet as I have to figure up what I have in it at this point, but for sure it will be under the mark you set for price.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Bullshop
05-03-2008, 05:17 PM
This one will be a 45/90. There is a bunch of brass to go with it too.
I have not ordered any wood for it yet but maybe that is good. I can let it go with the origonal wood which is useable then a fella can take his time and fix it up just the way he wants.
BIC/BS

steif
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi,
Don't forget to look for the old H+R made trapdoors sometimes they are to be found cheap! I've found several in the past few years that looked beat to death but were clean inside.
The stocks they used and the finish did not take to dents or scratches well and started to look terrible but just a simple refinish they look great now. that's how some go by pretty cheap because they look bad...
Good hunting!