PDA

View Full Version : A day at the range

Love Life
10-25-2015, 06:40 PM
There I was, larger than life as usual. I was gnawing on a chicken leg (chicken shack is on the way to the range), and pondering on the important things in life as I headed to the range.

I took the following family members to the range:

The pile of brass they are sitting on is what was fired today. I started at the 25 yard line, and did my usual warm up with the Government and the Glock. I then moved to the 20, followed by the 15, and then finally to the 10 yard line.

Here is a breakdown of the malfunctions encountered:
Colt Government: Ran out of ammo
Colt Wiley Clapp Commander: Ran out of ammo
Glock 21: Ate up most of the ammo, and ran out of ammo

The purpose of this trip was to empty out my ammo can of the random bags of ammo. The bullet designs fired in all 3 guns were:
Hardline industries 230 gr smooth RN
Lyman 453423
NOE 200-SWC (H&G 68 clone)
Extreme plated bullets 200 gr HP

All loaded over varying dosed of Bullseye powder.

I ended up with a hand like this:

I reckon I could cure that by wearing a glove, but I might as well smear it with lavender scented lotion...meaning to say that I'll just keep on keeping on.

Deep down I was hoping to prove that one platform was better than the other even though the test batch is statistically insignificant. Oh well.

The Glock has over 5,000 rds through it, the Wiley Clapp over 4,000 rds, and the Colt Government over 500 rds. Neither of the 3 have ever had a malfunction, regardless of bullet type or load. 95% of the ammo shot through these guns have been reloads with the majority being loaded on a Dillon 550B.

My final thoughts on it are:
A) Pick your poison
B) Both are reliable if maintained
C) The 1911 looks better
D) The Glock packs more ruckus with it's 13+1 capacity

Accuracy wise I give the nod to the 1911 because the trigger is better. Once I put new sights on the Gubmint' model I'm sure it will be better still. Now, that doesn't meant the Glock is inaccurate because I've laid down groups with the Glock that are pretty legit...from 25 yards...no rest.

Shootability wise it's a wash to me. Yeah, there are different grip angles, but that is why we practice.

Open carry they are also a wash. The 1911's win for 4 season concealed carry.

Just my rambling for the day and I hope everybody has a good one!!

Scharfschuetze
10-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Just got 'a love a 1911 modification to the web of your shooting hand.

tazman
10-25-2015, 07:14 PM
It is always a good time to contemplate the whichness of the why on the way to a good range outing. Sounds like your three family members like you and what you feed them.
I had a similar day yesterday with the addition of getting to show off a couple of my guns to a pair of relative newcomers to the addiction that handguns present. They fell in love with my K38 6 inch.

John Allen
10-25-2015, 07:19 PM
I have both the glocks and the 1911's I prefer the 1911's but you are right the glock 21's sure do throw alot of bullets down range

BCgunworks
10-25-2015, 07:40 PM
I too played at the range today and dumped some ammo...nothing like some range time after a crazy work week

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-26-2015, 09:13 AM
did you replace the factory connector on the glock , I did mine witht he ghost evo elite http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_EVO_ELITE_3_5/EVO-ELITE-35.html carefully trim the tab with a file and you can take up almost all the over travel in the factory trigger , it helps with that feel of added resistance right before the trigger breaks that glock triggers can have giving a better surprise break.

I left my factory springs and the pull is still 5.5 pounds but it feels much shorter , smoother and significantly less over travel

Love Life
10-26-2015, 10:25 AM
I do a lot of testing of this, that, or the other throughout the year. At the end of the year I end up with many different loads left over.

Sometimes it's nice to go to the range and just make some noise.

cainttype
10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
I also get bit anytime I use a 1911 with a standard grip safety and hammer. A high grip and meaty paws invite a little skin and blood loss... I have a permanent scar from having so much fun in the past, and I haven't been bitten in years. Beavertails and bobbed hammers are really nice options, and normally my first modification to any stock 1911 I plan on keeping and/or shooting regularly.

9.3X62AL
10-26-2015, 11:25 PM
My hands are too big for most gloves anyway, so I've taken to wearing 1-2 cloth Band-Aids on the web of my shooting hand if a long day of handgunning is on deck. Cleaning solvent in cuts after shooting is no fun at all.

TXGunNut
10-27-2015, 11:02 PM
Just got 'a love a 1911 modification to the web of your shooting hand.

If you don't mind shooting lefty you can shoot twice as long or avoid most of the blisters. With my current glasses I see my sights better shooting lefty or offhand/right hand.

tazman
10-27-2015, 11:34 PM
I do a lot of testing of this, that, or the other throughout the year. At the end of the year I end up with many different loads left over.

I do that too. Right now I need to burn through about 200 rounds of experiments that didn't work as well as I had hoped.