PDA

View Full Version : Tried a cross bow this year

richhodg66
10-25-2015, 05:57 PM
I hadn't bow hunted in a long time, but the state I live in has seasons that greatly favor bowhunters (rifle season is short and after the rut, muzzle loader is before). I used to hunt with a long bow and recurves, no sights, the job I have now has me real busy on weekends and evenings and has me 70 miles or so from where I hunt, so I missed a lot of hunting the past few years and thought this might give me more opportunities (I missed opening day last year and it really upset me).

So anyway, last Winter, I bought one, and hadn't messed with it since until a few weeks ago. Ugly and ungainly as it is, it's a pretty good tool for the task. Took it to the woods for the first time this morning to a stand in a tree I've hunted from for ten years that's in a natural funnel that channelizes them moving to beeding/feeding areas. A little buck came in at 8:25 and I arrowed him, almost straight down shot. Bolt went clear through and buried itself 8-10" in the ground. He made it maybe 70-80 yards, I saw him falter and fall. Much as I would prefer to use a classy rifle or muzzle loader, I have to admit a grudging respect for the cross bow.

farmerjim
10-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Yes they are good. Mine shoots within 1 in at 50 yards.

missionary5155
10-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Greetings
Congratulations ! I am happy you can use them. Another car wreck eliminated and transformed into good eating.
I have looked at them also. ILLinois lets anyone over 62 use them for yearly bow season which is 3 months. I still use recurves and have thought about switching. Even was watching some go through the auctions this year. But every time I get out one of those fine old bows they tug at my core. One day the shoulders will give out. Sure hope it is a long time away.
Mike in Peru

richhodg66
10-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Truthfully, he was less than ten yards from the tree I was in and it would have been an easy shot for me with one of my recurves. Haven't for a couple of years much, but I used to bowfish every evening and mornings too on weekends. Shots were usually straight down from a limestone ledge and I'd kill half a dozen carp an evening when it was warm and the fish were active. Even now without having practiced much, I'd have most likely made that shot.

Twenty minutes before he showed up, I missed a doe clean that was farther out, but still pretty close, maybe 25 yards. I'm pretty sure the bolt hit a small limb and deflected some as there was quite a few in the way. I'm gonna go back next Saturday morning and hopefully kill one or two more. We are pretty much out of venison now and that bothers me, but I've got the itch to do some squirrel and maybe predator hunting this Winter, so kind of want to get the deer hunting done.

marshall623
10-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Good shooting , I hunt with a crossbow and they are mean. They have no tolerance for tree limbs and brush no matter how small & cross bow bolts don't bu k the wind very well .The longest shot I've made was a doe at 50 yds and it still about took her off her feet , sounded like you hit a plastic barrel with a ball bat. The first one I killed with it shot it at 10 yrds looking at me , it shot though her long ways . They have their limatations but they are bad to the bone.

dragon813gt
10-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Nice shooting. I started using one when PA made them legal. They are heavy and unwieldy. But if you have a short walk to your treestand they are perfect. Next year I'm buying one w/ reverse limbs or a recurve type. Being able to restring one myself is very appealing. But the draw weight is not :(

c1skout
10-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Way to go! My brother bought one of those inexpensive recurve crossbows through the Sportsmans guide a few years ago to try out and see if he liked it. He hasn't hung up his compound, but the crossbow will surely get the job done. He shot a couple deer with it in years past, and his 11y.o. daughter used it to take a 6 point this year at about 35 yards.

jcren
10-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Bought the wife a recurve crossbow this year (no offense intended, crossbows are far from the rifle they are percieved) since she can't pull her compound. Just a simple, cheap 175 pound curve, but after some deburring and trigger work it all shoot 1"-1.5" at 30 yards. I would love for her to tag one, I think she will be hooked.

bruce drake
10-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Congratulations! With my draw weight limitations now after my neck surgery, I think I'm going to be going to go to a crossbow next year as well. You've given me further evidence that its worth the cost of adding another hunting system to the mix. Indiana has a August to January season for archery/crossbow but only a few weeks in Oct/Nov for firearms with a heavily restricted caliber listing. I'm building a 50-70 Govt trapdoor to try to extend into blackpowder season as well.

richhodg66
10-25-2015, 09:50 PM
I actually considered one of the recurve types of cross bows as I'm a subscriber to the "simpler is better" methodology. The guy at Academy Sports sold me on this one, it's a Barnett M4 I think, not top of the line but good enough. It came with a red dot type of sight, never used one before. I bought a scope for it thinking I'd like that better, but figured I'd give this a try first. Seems to work, I just don't like having something that's dependent on batteries.

dragon813gt
10-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Be wary of that red dot. I have a Barnett Quad 400. Two years ago I missed two shots by a wide margin. Thankfully I didn't wound a deer. Zeroed it at home and it was over 8" off to the left. Zero had been checked like always before taking it afield. Well after zeroing it I missed another shot by a large margin. It lost zero on the 15 mile trip to the farm where I hunt. I immediately threw the dot away and replaced it w/ a proper scope. I'm leery of all cheap red dots because of this experience.

richhodg66
10-25-2015, 10:30 PM
I may switch out to that scope I got. Only problem is now I have to give up hunting time to do it.

Whatever I do, I need to practice with it more, particularly from an elevated platform. I'm pretty sure the miss on that doe was because it hit a limb, but it's possible I shot over her. Shooting from tree stands makes you shoot high, well known fact I had forgotten about when zeroing this thing. For the buck, shooting straight down, it wouldn't have made as much difference.

Huntsman
10-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Hey congrats on your crossbow kill. I have the Excalibur recurve but her in Alberta Canada I can only use it in the rifle season.

richhodg66
10-26-2015, 06:23 AM
There seems to have been a move in the US to make them legal in more places. Kansas has traditionally been very retsrictive about many things in deer hunting, but they seem to be relaxing a lot of things lately.

trapper9260
10-26-2015, 07:27 AM
I use one here in IA ,but got a permit because of the way is that for some disability on the upper part of your body that you just have your Doc fill out the paper work and then you can use one during the bow season.I lost a good size buck this year the bolt went through him for the way it looks.I was about 7ft from him.I was sitting on the ground.That is the only way I hunt .I like to keep my feet on the ground.I have shot alot of deer with my crossbow.I have a scope on my with the lines in it for the yards and I just set it up once and then did not have to mess with the scope any more till now because that buck I shot and was looking for it I had it stolen from my ranger that it was in the back of and report it to the game warden and also the sheriff office and the game warden came up with it 5 days later.It was mess with and the scope was taken off .But still got the scope and the hand crank was mess with.The game warden will check into it more.but went and got anther one before my old one show back up.The old one is a Barnett quard 300.Have it for over 16 years now since I got it back and need to get it back where i want it and the new one I got is a 10 Point Extreme I think I got that right it have a hand crank also.Will use it this season and go from there ,It did came with the scope already on it and sighted in also.It also have a range yard lines.

DanWalker
10-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Greetings
Congratulations ! I am happy you can use them. Another car wreck eliminated and transformed into good eating.
I have looked at them also. ILLinois lets anyone over 62 use them for yearly bow season which is 3 months. I still use recurves and have thought about switching. Even was watching some go through the auctions this year. But every time I get out one of those fine old bows they tug at my core. One day the shoulders will give out. Sure hope it is a long time away.
Mike in Peru

Well, when you are ready for a crossbow, give me a shout and maybe we can do some trading. I have a darton Viper crossbow with a leupold scope on it I would trade for the right traditional bow of equal value.

duckey
10-27-2015, 10:21 PM
I **** two differant cross bows for the first time today and am hooked. The first one I shot at 33 yards and it hit dead center vitals with a red dot scope. I looked at set ups on Amazon tonight. Can you tell me about your set up and approx cost. Also how you like it. Looking for an inexpensive set up pkg deal for $150-200.

jcren
10-27-2015, 11:29 PM
I **** two differant cross bows for the first time today and am hooked. The first one I shot at 33 yards and it hit dead center vitals with a red dot scope. I looked at set ups on Amazon tonight. Can you tell me about your set up and approx cost. Also how you like it. Looking for an inexpensive set up pkg deal for $150-200.

Check out www.bestcrossbowsorce.com for unbiased testing of a lot of bows. They sort categories by price, recurve, performance etc, and have found their info to be accurate. Btw I bought my wife a basic (cheap) SA sports Fever recurve and once I found out how to lock down the scope mount and de-burred the mim trigger components, I am pleased for the $125 invested.

Bad Water Bill
10-28-2015, 07:22 AM
Server not found

historicfirearms
10-28-2015, 07:35 AM
I have been thinking about getting a crossbow myself. When I was younger, I did a lot of hunting with a compound. Neck problems made drawing a bow no fun, so I had to give it up. Michigan now made it legal for all archery hunters to use crossbows. The only thing that is slowing me down from getting one is that I havent seen one that didnt feel terribly bulky and unwieldy.

Hamish
10-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Server not found

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com

richhodg66
10-28-2015, 08:12 AM
I have been thinking about getting a crossbow myself. When I was younger, I did a lot of hunting with a compound. Neck problems made drawing a bow no fun, so I had to give it up. Michigan now made it legal for all archery hunters to use crossbows. The only thing that is slowing me down from getting one is that I havent seen one that didnt feel terribly bulky and unwieldy.

They are, but I do the vast majority of my deer hunting from tree stands and when I can't, from some kind of ground blind. Walking and stalking with one of these would be terrible.

I did a bit of poking around on the web about crossbows and this Barnett package deal at Academy Sports seemed about standard of teh industry. I was bent out of shape about missing opening day and bought it as a result without really looking into it much thinking I could hunt over Christmas break from school which doesn't correspond with our gun season. As such, it wasn't a carefully researched purchase. Seems like it was close to $400, but was all set up and had everything except broadheads, which were about $6 for three at Wal Mart and seemed to work fine.

The crossbow in the bow season argument basically centers around the idea that any mall ninja can just walk in, plunk down some money and go massacre deer without any real skill involved (I don't believe that, but look at some bowhunting blogs and see what they say). I'm no mall ninja and have been a serious deer hunter for a while. I have killed one with a traditional long bow and cedar arrows, I just can't keep the practice regimen up to be ethical with one anymore. I coud have made this shot with one of my recurves, but I've hunted and scouted that tract a lot over 20 years or so and knew the deer patterns and had a stand placed accordingly.

I'm just glad to be out when the deer are most active and the weather is best. I'd rather use a rifle or muzzle loader, but this works.

jcren
10-28-2015, 08:19 AM
http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com

Thank you sir!
Joe

nekshot
10-28-2015, 09:03 AM
My kids got me a Barnett Recruit, very small and compact and they have a very good warrenty. I have harvested deer with it and out to 35 yards it is lightening fast and powerful on deer. Beyond that I would prefer my martin compound that is a 70-80 lb pull and with 31 inch 2219's and 3'' 2 blade head is a meat cleaver that hits with awesome authority. I went the heavy route with this crosbow with 20 inch 2219 and 125 gr shwackers and I love it. Any thing over 15 lbs raises my pain level and this rig is 8 and 1\4 lbs and before loaded is 18 inches wide so when loaded it is very narrow and maneagable. I simply have to remember to turn off the red dot. I would prefer 1 dot but I can get used to this. I started hunting with a long bow 50 years ago and I sure prefer this at my age!

siamese4570
10-28-2015, 10:13 AM
I haven't took the crossbow plunge yet. Several of my hunting buddies have and I have shot theirs. The main thing that I noticed was that you can pick up a crossbow and immediately shoot it pretty accurately. Not the case with a regular bow. It still has the distance limitations of any other bow and that's what people have to remember. Just because you can hit a target at 50 yds with a crossbow dosen't mean you should take shots at deer that far. The travel time of the arrow gets to be too long at those ranges. If the deer moves after you shoot, you'll either miss or worse yet wound it.

Siamese4570

nekshot
10-28-2015, 12:16 PM
I heard the self appointed local archery wizz saying he was gonna take 100 yard shots because of the bows accuracy I knew I heard BS and smelled it also so after I got mine I went out to 50 yards and tried it. Very accurate but around 35 to 40 yards that bolt appears to stop in air and float down hill to the target. I never saw an arrow loose its speed as fast as that so I limit my shooting to harvest to 35 yards and if all is perfect 40 will do. After that get a gun. My martin compound hits really hard at 45 yards but that is in my sons hands now.

duckey
10-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Someone mentioned the Barnet Recruit. I Priced one at Dick's Sporting goods....$329 but on sale till end of Oct for $275 after $25 mail in rebate. Bass Pro has this same package deal for $299....plus I can get a %10 off military discount and use some of my bonus points. I held the Recruit today and liked it very much. It isn't as wide as the others, which is why I like it! The red dot sight has three red dots and you can select red or green and you can dim the brightness down to 3 different intensities. It has an adjustable stock for a better fit. Just gotta save up some $ in the slush fund!

richhodg66
10-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Sounds like the same red dot system mine came with. I'm learning to like it OK, but think I'd prefer a scope. I may mount one on it after the season.

Area Man
11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
... but the state I live in has seasons that greatly favor bowhunters (rifle season is short and after the rut, muzzle loader is before).

Ohio?

That's why I started bow hunting. My job is really stingy with time off. My hunting consisted of lugging my Redhawk into the woods, sitting there for a while then heading home on a Saturday. That was my whole season. Had sold a buddy of mine a Contender and agreed to let him pay it off over time. After making a few payments he had kinda stalled (no big deal). He came over with a bow, some arrows, broadheads, quiver, etc. and asked if we could call it even and oh, by the way, bow season's four months long.

Hamish
11-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Thank you sir!
Joe

Very welcome. I bought a Barnett Jackal a few years ago when it looked like I wouldn't be able to pull a bow any more. It's no slouch as far as they go, but as has been said, it was a REAL eye opener discovering how horrible they slough off velocity,,,,,,,.

The one problem with the Barnetts, and it appears they are still using it, is the rear sight/optics tower mount is pretty Mickey Mouse as far as what I think it should be.

dragon813gt
11-02-2015, 09:13 AM
The optic is worse than the mount. I was a little concerned about it looking like I could knock it off at any minute. It's held up well and hasn't been an issue.

I was looking at a bunch of crossbows at Cabela's yesterday. Lots of recurves on hand. They had a Ten Point that was really narrow and light. The smaller the limbs are the more appealing it becomes for me. Now if only the price was smaller :)

nekshot
11-02-2015, 01:40 PM
I would love a recurve crossbow!! As far as my recruit, on the 3rd shot the spring broke. I contacted Barnett and they told me how to send in the bow part of the crossbow and from shipping at post office to delivery to my door was I think 5 days. I dropped the bow from a tree stand and so did my son and no problem with bow. I am going to use bigger fasteners for the stirrup(the part you put your foot thru). I have tightened this a few times. I do want to get one of those new pistol sights sometime but other than putting my 3rd battery in sight it all is doing well. My kids would have bought me anything but I wanted a small light unit and this has never disappointed me. Still would love a recurve unit but don't have the mulla for one.

rondog
11-02-2015, 03:42 PM
I want one of those crossbow uppers that fits onto an AR15 lower receiver!

richhodg66
11-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Actually a little surprised they haven't done that yet.

Bad Water Bill
11-02-2015, 08:19 PM
I want one of those crossbow uppers that fits onto an AR15 lower receiver!

With a 50 round capacity AND full auto.:bigsmyl2:

dragon813gt
11-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Actually a little surprised they haven't done that yet.

They have. I see no point in it. It's marketed towards the Mall Ninja Zombie Slayers out there.

http://pse-archery.com/shop/shop-crossbows/tac-ordnance/

duckey
11-02-2015, 10:02 PM
nekshot....Barnet makes the Recruit in a recurve for about $177. Still $177 but compared to all those high $ options out there I think this is much more doable for folks getting into it.

rondog
11-02-2015, 10:09 PM
They have. I see no point in it. It's marketed towards the Mall Ninja Zombie Slayers out there.

http://pse-archery.com/shop/shop-crossbows/tac-ordnance/

Yeah, at $1300 I won't be owning one, but it looks like lots of fun.

nekshot
11-03-2015, 09:20 PM
nekshot....Barnet makes the Recruit in a recurve for about $177. Still $177 but compared to all those high $ options out there I think this is much more doable for folks getting into it.

years ago in early 80's I found an arrow at 250 fps deer could not react to with in 30 yards at the sound of shot. The Recruit recurve is to slow for me, I guess it takes more money to make a recurve crossbow fast(kinda like my cars when I was a kid!).

BAGTIC
12-19-2015, 04:00 PM
What is the difference between a mall ninja buying a crossbow so he can walk out the door and start slaughtering game fast and a mall ninja buying a gun for the same reason. Dead is dead. All the different season never made sense to me, except for the youth season. It seems they are created to give extra hunting opportunities to those who can afford a whole arsenal of weapons. What is wrong with one general season and let people use whatever they find most satisfying.

My crossbow experience is very limited... shooting carp. I used it because I could cock it lay it across the thwarts, leaving my hands free to ease the boat into position, and fire it with one hand without standing and scaring the fish. When I moved and no longer had opportunities for bow fishing. I always want a crossbow that shot round balls for small game and vermin. Arrows and bolts are to expensive and too easily damaged/lost for my budget.

Crawdaddy
12-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Just make sure your thumb stays below the string. I can tell you from experience it is painful and expensive. Granted I have unusually large hands.

You would think all the lawyer stuff in the manual in big bold letters would have prevented it. You only make the mistake once and you will ask and answer this question every time. "Where is my thumb?" "My thumb is down".

Im not trying to disparage the use, just want other to learn from my mistake. It isn't easy to post in a public forum you were dumb enough to do it! :)

duckey
12-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Ended up buying the Barnet Recruit package deal at Bass Pro. Fund to shoot! Hunted a few times with it but no luck yet.

jpen
01-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Do to injuries I started hunting with one this year. I really like it and it has served me well. I have shot 1 doe with it and it was a pass through and she went about 80 yards. I got a Excalibur because it is simple to work on. I really like it and it has saved my bow season.

HamGunner
01-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Missouri will allow any archer to use a crossbow this year and a buddy of mine (Bongo) needed to sell his wifes Ten Point Titan Xtreme because it was just too heavy for her. She had shoulder surgery and the extra weight was just a bit too much. I think it is supposed to be about 8 1/2 lbs. or so without a quiver, etc. and that is plenty heavy, but I won't be packing one very far. Shoots well over 300 fps and has the crank cocking. I think I will like it. They are expensive.

Crawdaddy, you are certainly correct about keeping your fingers and thumbs below the string. I have another buddy that just bought a crossbow himself and he came over and looked at mine just after I got it and we discussed the controversy going on about lawsuits of people shooting their thumbs off and trying to collect from the bow companies. Well the next week, he shot his thumb with his Barnett Wildcat. He did not lose the thumb, but it certainly was banged up bad enough that he will remember to keep it down from now on. I would think that any bow company would love to sell or possibly give away a safety device to help with that problem. My Ten Point has a clear plastic finger guard installed from the factory. I suspect they seen the handwriting on the wall of lawsuits in the making. I don't know if anyone has won a case yet, but with the way things are going these days with no one being held responsible for their own actions, it is just a matter of time I would think.

I had to give up bow hunting several years back because I just was not able to pull a decent bow back and hold it anymore due to back/shoulder problems. I had hunted since the late 60's first with a 62" Ben Pearson recurve and then with a Browning compound. I loved to bow hunt, but sadley gave it all up and donated all my bows and gear including my tree stands to a raffle for a family that lost their house to a house fire. Guess I will now have to get myself a climbing tree stand. Summit Viper SD I think will suit me just fine.

Ramjet-SS
01-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Wisconsin opened it up last year. I have no disabilities except I love to try new things and I love to hunt. I have shot Traditional Longbows and Recurves for many years since mid sixties. I still do but purchased a really nice KodaBow great simple American made Crossbow made by the skilled hands of American workers the owner is a great guy CS is second to none.