PDA

View Full Version : dillon conversions

shotman
04-09-2008, 07:53 AM
i just got my first dillon. i have been on a Lee loadmaster for several years. Got to looking at the cost of all the [extras heads, cal changes case feed etc] that could run thousands. so i did what anyone would do looked at how to cut the BS and cost. here is what i found casefeeder about $30 will do all cal conversions for 5 cal total about $250 there is a lot of things that you dont need in those kits the heads may have a place if you jump to several different cal but i can switch dies in about 5 min if you would like to know what i did send a PM and will go though what i have found out rick

hyoder
04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
You can save a bit by not buying a complete caliber change kit - where cases have the same head dimensions you need not purchase the shell holder disc or the alignment pins - only the expander/powder charge tube. Some of these can be used within the same bullit diameter cartridges that have slightly different length cases by adjusting the die height.

garandsrus
04-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Shotman,

I would be interested in what you did...

As Hyoder said, you can buy the individual kit components from Dillon. They provide a caliber conversion chart so you can identify the pieces you need.

John

shotman
04-10-2008, 07:56 AM
the shell plate is the only thing that needs to be the same cal the funnel/exp will cover several like 380 though 357 and 45 acp to 460 the shell feed is the most expensive i got a new one from Lee and made a bracket and used the 460 bushing with a hose clamp that adjusts to shell height the shell locator only need to be for largest you load i used the 45 colt a 9mm will feed every time on it [Lee dont have one] the pins are a pain i used the Lee and a screw works on all the only othe thing is the case feed bushing you need one for t he 380 or 9mm 38 to 460 will feed through the large i will get some pic of my set up and post over the week end have $250 in all parts to load 9mm to 460 in pistol shotman/rick

Throckmorton
04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
One epxnese that is totally uneccesary is their strong mounts.A good SOLID bench made tall enough will suffice.I hae three presses on my solid-core door bench,and they've worked fine for years without buying their strong mounts.
You can alos get by without paying extra for their roller handle. I did buy that one,but not sure I'd do it again.

I do agree about just changnig dies when changing calibers.Under 3 minutes to swap out dies.

mechdriver
04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Since I don't think I need anymore caliber change kits, I'll tell you how I got mine off list.
1st. Know what you need and what it would cost retail + shipping and tax if applicable.
2nd. Find the item on ebay and bid what you are comfortable with considering the cost in no. 1. example: If total cost retail = 45.00 delivered I'd bid 40.00 delivered. If I got it, great. If not keep looking, It was not the only one made.

I have equipped my 550 for about 10 calibers by doing this and also looking for the odd piece such as a powder funnel to expand a set I already have. This has saved me ~20% over retail.

Not like free but it has helped.

Also look for folks listing stuff that they don't know. I bought a set of hornady carbide dies for 10mm/40sw that no one was bidding on because they were listed only as 10 mm.

Sundogg1911
04-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I lucked out and picked up a Dillon 550 with 12 complete caliber change overs (Powder measures and all) at an estate sale. I got a SH*%load of reloading and casting stuff for $800 cash. I sold off what I didn't need or already had for $1200, so I got paid $400 to take the stuff. I already had another 550, and a SDB. (Along with a Lyman Turret, Rockchucker, and a few other Lee single stage presses) Changing over from one caliber to another takes about 3 minutes, and everything stays in adjustment. I wish I could find another deal like that. :-)

shotman
04-12-2008, 06:56 AM
the one thing i like the best is the shell feed this is the same that is on the Lee load master it took me about 1/2 hour to make a bracket it bolts through the hole that is used for the curved tube is about 3/4 in over the top of the plactic shell adapter have not had a feed problem yet and only cost about $25 and will work with all shells rick

No_1
04-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Shotman,

Can you provide pics?

R.

shotman
04-13-2008, 09:09 AM
will try to get some pic asap i have this problem that everything does not stay in the proper place so need to clean up a bit shotman/rick