PDA

View Full Version : Deer stand

Goatwhiskers
10-25-2015, 01:13 PM
I got search troubles, too. 'Course my rememberer is broke and my forgetter works just fine. Seems to me that a while back there was a post on this site somewhere where a fella made a simple portable stand out of a piece of plywood and some rope. Really wanted to look at it again, can't find it of course. Maybe it is a figment of my fertile imagination. Anybody remember that one? GW

nannyhammer
10-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Same seat/same guy on a different forum. http://www.arkansashunting.net/showthread.php?t=187677

Goatwhiskers
10-25-2015, 02:05 PM
That's the very one! Thanks. Got back troubles, no business climbing my tower. Thinking back over the years I've seen more deer from the ground anyway. GW

w5pv
10-25-2015, 02:24 PM
I have killed more deer from a makeshift blind on the ground,getting in a blown down or cut down tree top,sitting on a stump with bushes around it,rake up leaves and pine needles,sit up against a tree just any number of ways to hide yourself.The main thing is to be dead still.

nannyhammer
10-25-2015, 03:22 PM
I've killed quite a few just myself by just backing into a dead fall/brush pile or sitting up against a big tree. However my bulging disc and sciatica don't let me sit on the ground or a stump anymore. I have a Summit climber that works great but some places don't have the trees you need. I've thought about making a few of these then add some type of backrest to hold a cushion.

Goatwhiskers
10-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Probably not necessary, but thinking about using 2 or 3 plastic posts for electric fence and a length of camo cloth in front of it to further break up my outline. GW

farmerjim
10-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Mike, I may be on the ground with you on Nov. 8. I have to have surgery for an umbilical hernia Nov 2.
I just use a canvas folding chair.

Goatwhiskers
10-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Did your drouth break yet, Jim? Yeah, been down that road already, got a boot in my spare tire now. GW

MaryB
10-26-2015, 01:08 AM
I need to make one of these! With my bad back I ground hunt also and for squirrels I like to sit and watch. Would be good bow hunting(crossbow for me now) too! Tree breaks up your outline so no other camo in front needed.

gtgeorge
10-26-2015, 02:32 AM
I have thought of making something like that for quite some time now. Would be easy to carry when you want to walk in some place new and really good on a Cypress tree. The back and arthritis definitely has me thinking of an easier way to go.

farmerjim
10-26-2015, 10:05 AM
The pond is flowing out the emergency spillway. The rain gauge only goes to 5 in, and it is full.
Doc says it will be an easy in and out. He is going to put a boot in to add extra strength to the spare tire.