PDA

View Full Version : New one on me

dubber123
10-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Kind of a rainy day today, so I thought I would load up some .40's. About 25 cases in, the carbide ring on my Lyman dies pulled out and left a neat little collar on the case :) Once I managed to get it extracted, I degreased the ring and the die body. I put the die on the wood stove to heat and expand, and put the ring in the freezer to contract. I popped it back together with little effort and hopefully the slathering of red Loctite will keep it in one piece. First time this has happened to me.

Guesser
10-25-2015, 11:33 AM
I've had it happen with Hornady, RCBS & Lee; I cleaned them up and put them back together with 2 part epoxy. Hasn't happened to any of them since.

ReloaderFred
10-25-2015, 11:48 AM
I had a Redding 10mm/.40 die pull the sizing ring out and I've broken a Lyman. They're a press fit, so it does happen. I know people hate to lube handgun brass, but it does make the likelihood of pulling the carbide ring out of the die body less probable.

Hope this helps.

Fred

dubber123
10-25-2015, 12:00 PM
I lube a lot of my handgun stuff, but usually because I have found a steel sizer that produces a sized case more to my liking. I picked these dies up cheap, so I'm not complaining. I've heard of it happening, just not to me :) The ring does seem kinda tight, it is making an OD on the case of .419", which is a good bit smaller than my load manual calls for.

country gent
10-25-2015, 12:30 PM
those carbide rings can be tricky to glue as they are so smooth and roughing them up is next to imposible . Im a tool and die maker and have worked with carbide in the shop. I would do as the OP did heat die body to 500-600* maybe even a little more to expand. freeze the ring even though you wont get alot of shrinkage from carbide at home reachable temps. Then coat with green locktite and assemble with a small ahrbor press. Leave in press with a wieght on handle till cured and cool. This last step helps keep the ring from walking out and or shifting. A wood dowel fitted into the ring give a insulated handle to hold it with out body temp warming it.

bdicki
10-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Works to 450 degrees F

Loctite 294 High Strength, High Temperature, Green Threadlocker http://hybris.cms.henkel.com/medias/sys_master/8796770664478.jpg

LoctiteŽ 294™ is a medium to high strength, wicking grade, green threadlocker that is designed to operate at temperatures up to 450F. It is ideally suited for pre-assembled fasteners. Performs well on oily fasteners.