PDA

View Full Version : Newbee needs a pot, Used Lyman Mag 20 or new Lee Pro 4-20

corbinace
10-25-2015, 03:06 AM
Greetings,

I am interested in casting and need to spend my small pile of pennies wisely.

I was going to purchase the Lee 20 Pro 4 and build a PID for it. New pot, new electronics, everything good.

Then I saw this used Lyman Mag 20 pot with the PID already built for about the same money as the Lee and PID parts. I guess I think the Lyman might be a better base model than the Lee.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?289622-WTS-dillon-scale-cleaner-Lyman-furnace

Can those of you with experience with either of these pots chime in and give and opinion?

Thanks
Tim, without a pot to...

Greg S
10-25-2015, 03:55 AM
Not positive since Ixm in the same boat but picked up a LEE 20 myself. You might as well go with the Lee or get into the fray cause there is already 2 guys drooling on that Lyman. I've been around here since about April and one thing I've learned, if your shopping for something on the swap n sell ya gotta be quick.

dromia
10-25-2015, 04:48 AM
No brainer, the only reason for buying a Lee pot is if you are that hard up that is all you can afford. Any current bottom pour is better than the Lee.

I run RCBS Promelts plus PIDs but the Lyman is fine as well, different league to the Lee bottom pour, the only way I could get my Lee 10 and 17 lbers to work was to take out the pouring mechanism, block up the spout and use them as dipping pots.

Yes I have seen and tried all the "fixes" to no avail they were still leak-o-matics. Any product that needs so many "fixes" should tell you all you need to know about the pots.

Beagle333
10-25-2015, 06:21 AM
:goodpost: Pretty much.... what he said. :cool:

Sasquatch-1
10-25-2015, 07:12 AM
The PID setup would be nice, but if you are truly a newbie get the Lee, and run as is. Be aware, it will drip and should not be left alone during warm up. I used a Lee 10 pounder for 35 years (still use it for dead soft lead), the drip is irritating but you get use to it. If you want the PID add it later.

I have never used a PID.

Garyshome
10-25-2015, 07:38 AM
I have poured thousands of boolits with my Lee pot without a PID. It leaks a little but I deal with it. I actually run a #20 & #10 [both lee's] the #10 pours while the #20 is being re filled. Would I like something better, YES is it a #1 priority No. One day I'll assemble a PID [I have all the parts]. Casting season is just around the corner.

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2015, 07:49 AM
id take a used lyman over a new lee any day of the week. Personaly after using all three I prefer a rcbs pot myself and if I could afford it id have a magma. Keep in mind that you will use this pot for years and your going to fight that lee all the way.

corbinace
10-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Thank you Gentlemen for your time.

I sent 4006 an offer of 180 shipped for his pot and we will see what transpires.

I truly am new to casting but not reloading and have learned that quality trumps initial price in most areas of life. Some of the Snap-on tools that I use every day were born before me. The Lee Load-all that got me started 40 years ago has given way to a Dillon and allowed me to deposit many 100s of thousand projectiles into the dirt all over the west coast. I am not expecting to cast that quantity of lead from a pot on my bench but I want to experience a different part of the reloading world that includes more long guns. So here we are.

BTW Lloyd, I am currently employed keeping your brethren safe, whether it be planting a pole or in the bucket. And yes, occasionally getting that bucket or boom back in the rest when something goes wrong.

Thank you for your assistance, Tim.

bangerjim
10-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Do not be afraid of the LEE 4-20! I have 2 of them and they have NEVER dripped or dribbled...EVER. Excellent casting pots. I swear by them.....not at them as others that do not know how to treat them generally do. Never put sawdust or any other chunky flux in your casting pot. ONLY beeswax as a reducer......all you need....because all your ingots you made were fluxed 3X.....RIGHT!?!?!?!? No need to do it any more.

In they many years I have used a 4-20 I have never had a drip or run. Many other will say the same thing. Funny, this.........people only mention a product when they are having operator error.....never when it runs great!

banger

Mike W1
10-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Been running a couple Lee #10's for about 40 years. Drips once in awhile and I turn the rod. End of problem. Really as I see it all we're doing is trying to pour a stream of lead into a mould. I've not used a Lee 20# but I'd buy one and spend my money on something more useful than an expensive pot that still pours a stream of hot lead. But then I can't understand why one would ladle when all you have to do is learn how to use what you've got. I remember that juggling act from when I started casting. No thanks but to each his own and then we're both happy,

gwpercle
10-25-2015, 06:27 PM
I do not cast with a bottom pour pot any more, I have one and used it plenty, but didn't like the results.
I use an open top pot with a Lyman ladle ,with the side spout , and pressure cast. Not conductive to mass quantities but I can get the best , most perfect boolits I can make.
For this method the Lee electric pots are just fine. Most complaints center on dripping and leaking. Yes they will if not kept clean. Mine would leak if I let it get all gunked up with crud. The Magnum Melter , because of it's size, has the smaller 4 lb. pot beat six ways to Sunday .
I still have a small Lee pot (4 lb.) purchased in the early 1970's, thinking one day I would upgrade to a bottom pour pot. When I did get the bottom pour I could make a whole bunch of so-so quality boolits....I didn't want a bunch of so-so boolits, I wanted perfect boolits . so I bought the big magnum melter, because it held a lot of metal, and went back to the Lyman ladle with side spout . None of the Lee pots have ever failed or needed repairs. So , if you don't go the bottom pour route, do not be afraid to buy a Lee open top pot, they last, work well , don't leak and are an excellent value .
Gary

jsizemore
10-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Both the RCBS and Lyman Mag pots have the heating coil in close proximity to the pour spout. If you cast at a lower temp you don't have any spout freeze issues once you are up to casting temp. I think the drip issue with the Lees serves to keep the spout from freezing at lower casting temps even though the heating element isn't close.

I've also found it cheaper and easier on the nerves to buy the good stuff right from the get-go. Lee's fine if you don't mind or like tinkering.

I've been on this board for a while and there's only been 1 person that hasn't had a drip issue from a Lee. I don't think thousands of folks have all been doing it wrong!

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2015, 08:49 AM
are you a lineman Tim?
Thank you Gentlemen for your time.

I sent 4006 an offer of 180 shipped for his pot and we will see what transpires.

I truly am new to casting but not reloading and have learned that quality trumps initial price in most areas of life. Some of the Snap-on tools that I use every day were born before me. The Lee Load-all that got me started 40 years ago has given way to a Dillon and allowed me to deposit many 100s of thousand projectiles into the dirt all over the west coast. I am not expecting to cast that quantity of lead from a pot on my bench but I want to experience a different part of the reloading world that includes more long guns. So here we are.

BTW Lloyd, I am currently employed keeping your brethren safe, whether it be planting a pole or in the bucket. And yes, occasionally getting that bucket or boom back in the rest when something goes wrong.

Thank you for your assistance, Tim.

corbinace
10-26-2015, 12:16 PM
No, not a Lineman. I work in what we call Fleet Services. My main duties are inspection and repair on the aerial equipment to include Line Trucks. I do take great pride in my work and work very closely with the linemen to insure they don't get held up on the job. We are a pretty small utility and I only have about 50 Bucket/Line trucks so I can be pretty intimate with my charges.

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Ive had to use the emergency electric backup to get down once and back before we had them I shimmied down a couple booms. Not first on my want to do again list. Before I retired they put repelling harnesses in all of them. Never had to do that. I know its pretty frustrating to have your bucket quit. It allways seems to happen on the coldest days or in the middle of a storm. We contracted out all our repair work. Sure would have been nice to have service people right there all the time.