PDA

View Full Version : Lee sprue plate replacement

nagantguy
10-24-2015, 09:04 PM
One of my most used molds, lee .429-240 swc has a bent sprue plate I noticed boolits from one cavity were falling from the mold with a fine around the base the other cavity was dropping them perfect. So I looked close and could see day light above one cavity when the cover was closed. I did a quick search and only see replacment covers for 6 bangers. Is there a tried and true method for bending these back into shape , does lee sell replacments for the 2 cavity molds. Buying a new one isn't a big investment but this mold being the second one I ever bought and up till now my best I'd hate to replace it if I didn't have to.

billyb
10-24-2015, 09:07 PM
is it bent or is the screw to tight? to tight sprue plate screw will cause the sprue plate to lift up on the opposite end. Bill

swamp
10-24-2015, 10:38 PM
The problem that I have run into with Lee moulds is that sometimes the screw will not thread all the way into the hole. I would suggest you give Lee a call and discuss the problem with them. I have had very good results with them.
swamp

retread
10-25-2015, 12:19 AM
Take the sprue plate off and lay it on a know true surface. If it is indeed bent, place it on a flat surface( preferably a thick chunk of brass or bronze) with the belly up and hit it with a brass hammer or a brass punch and other hammer. Check it again on your flat surface. It will probably be better but still have a slight belly to it. Repeat the hammer procedure but put a playing card under one end. Check again. If it still need more, repeat with two playing cards. Keep this up until it check straight on your reference surface.
Good luck.

nagantguy
10-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys , no it's bent did the dance with the goofy screw a long time ago and have thus mold leemented and running good. Don't know how it got bent, I don't gorilla beat on my molds to open them but I have cast huge heap o boolits with it guess it's showing it's age. As many of these as me and my daughter shoot, I may just invest in the same mold with six holes in it.