PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Small Pistol and Small Pistol Magnum Primers?

Javelin Dan
10-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Hey guys, new mini-crisis to solve. After shooting my remaining primers yesterday, I visited my go-to sporting goods/shooting supply store. Won't mention who so as not to throw anyone under the bus. I asked a sales guy I've dealt with before (kind of a blow hard) to direct me to the small pistol primers - I'm loading for .32 Long and .32 ACP. He takes me down an isle and without asking hands me a box of CCI's. I tell him I want Winchester, and by now he's being distracted by another sales clerk and a customer so he hands me a box of Winchester while looking the other way, I look at the box and see "small pistol" and walk to the checkout. Shame on both of us!

I get home, completely load 25 rounds and get as far as powder charging the next 25 (fully primed of course) and just happen to look at the box of primers. It says "small pistol magnum". Now for the obviously stupid question...can I use 'em? Just what is the difference? As a know-nothing newbie, I'll take a stab in the dark and guess they burn a little hotter to ignite a larger and in some cases slower burning powder charge. Am I anywhere close to being right? But again, can I use them or should I see if I can exchange the rest?

alfloyd
10-23-2015, 07:54 PM
If you are not at the max load for your caliber, you should be OK.
They are a little hotter than standard primers.

Lafaun

NavyVet1959
10-23-2015, 07:54 PM
As usual, the answer is "it depends"...

If you are nowhere near the max pressure, it's probably safe.

During the components shortage, I used mag primers a lot.

Javelin Dan
10-23-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm right about in the middle. 1.7 gr. Bullseye in the ACP, 2 gr. in the Long. Both are using a hard cast lead 76 gr. RN-FP bullet. Following data from Lyman's 49th. Thanks!

Outpost75
10-23-2015, 08:35 PM
FWIW in my testing of Winchester small pistol standard, vs. magnum primers loading .312" diameter 71-grain Hornady FMJs in .32 ACP Fiocchi brass, the difference in velocity between the standard Winchester SP primer and the magnum, firing a full charge of Alliant Bullseye, was less than either sample velocity standard deviation, both 10-rd. samples having Sds in the single digits.

If the load is otherwise safe and below the published maximum, I wouldn't worry about it.

tazman
10-23-2015, 08:40 PM
I agree with the above posters.
I don't load full power loads. The only effect of using magnum primers(Remington magnum as opposed to CCI or Remington standard) was one of my loads for the 9mm started producing tighter groups.

Javelin Dan
10-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Cool beans - thanks again!

Love Life
10-23-2015, 11:27 PM
If I'm not over max on the ragged edge, I use them same as standard primers. Lots of times you can get good deals on magnum primers so I buy them then to. I use them for my fast gunnin' practice and general gun fodder. They still make lead projectiles hit pretty close on the target.