PDA

View Full Version : Trouble using "search" on this site

corbinace
10-23-2015, 05:11 PM
What am I doing wrong?

I always try to do a search on the forums that I use, so that people do not have to keep restating the easy stuff over and over for us beginners.

The search function on this site returns pages and pages of stuff that has absolutely no relevance to my query.

I see only minimal refinement options.

I type in "lyman mag 25", get over 2000 hits, but on the first three page there is not a word about this pot.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Tim.

Artful
10-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Well sometimes less is more - as lots of lyman molds and Mag is short for Magnum.

A great alternative is google - put in
Lyman Mag 25 site:castboolits.gunloads.com
https://www.google.com/#q=Lyman+Mag+25+site:castboolits.gunloads.com

corbinace
10-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Thank you Artful.

I guess I had not thought of the ramifications of my query wording. I was using the "advanced" method and see that the Google method is maybe a more efficient way to proceed.

Thank you for the insight.

Tim.

runfiverun
10-23-2015, 10:42 PM
the sites search function is actually a google search.
Montana Charlie wrote up [or sumthin] a really nice search feature that used google and we just adopted it since it was 5 times better than the sites search function.

rondog
10-23-2015, 10:52 PM
I hate searching here, it's always a challenge and rarely successful for me.

tryNto
10-25-2015, 12:45 AM
The Google Custom Search box@ the top right of page works great for me.
Many relevant threads/posts on any terms I enter.

corbinace
10-25-2015, 02:19 AM
Thank you one and all for the assistance. I have been able to use the "Google box" to better advantage.

montana_charlie
10-25-2015, 12:19 PM
The one bad part is that Google can't see The Pit.
If what you hope to find is in Political/Religious or Humor/Off Topic, Google can't get you there.

corbinace
10-25-2015, 12:46 PM
The one bad part is that Google can't see The Pit.
If what you hope to find is in Political/Religious or Humor/Off Topic, Google can't get you there.

And that, in my mind, is a good thing. One is subject to those discussions all to frequently in the physical world.

Tim.

Mal Paso
10-25-2015, 12:57 PM
So Advanced Search is a Trap?

Good to know!

I had not noticed the built in Google Search. I had been using that script thingy Thanks!

montana_charlie
10-25-2015, 03:17 PM
And that, in my mind, is a good thing. One is subject to those discussions all to frequently in the physical world.

Tim.
That's an opinion shared by many LIVs, too.

corbinace
10-25-2015, 03:51 PM
That's an opinion shared by many LIVs, too.

I had to look up the slang term, I guess I am ignorant in many ways. I, however, choose to believe no offense was meant.

:drinks:

Tim