PDA

View Full Version : .304 Dia Cast Bullets ???

Johnch
10-22-2015, 08:52 PM
OK this afternoon I helped a friend clean out part of his Great Great Grand Dad's house
A WW1 Vet that moved to the US before WW2

He is trying to clean it out after sitting empty for 30+ years so he can move in ( His Ex got his house )

Well a bunch of casting stuff from , we think Germany ( a brass plate on the sizer is in German) and other reloading tools are in good shape
As is a number of older rifles wrapped in paper after being covered in grease
Everything is covered in grease ...so he will be spending some time cleaning stuff

But what has me stumped was a box of lubed plain base bullets
Sort of a round / flat nose design ( mould has not been found yeat ...but lots of stuff to look through still )
I took them home ...sized dia is .304 and lubed weight is 180 or so gr (lube if falling off if you touch them )

What would these have been used in ?

As we dig into the rooms ....more and more interesting stuff is found
Like the master bed room had a box of about 20 carpet beaters ....just how long ago did those quit being used LOL?

Oh I will be getting a Voere Mauser rifle , in 8 MM Mauser it looks like new for helping him
With 2 sets of the tapered base scope rings
Oh I want to load my truck up every time I go there to help him

Thanks
John

fryboy
10-22-2015, 09:50 PM
a sloppy italian 7.35 carcano ?

there's a whole slew of customs it could be so ...

tdoyka
10-22-2015, 10:05 PM
7.5 french???

Mk42gunner
10-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Throat filler for a K31 Swiss? Let us know if you find out.

Robert

s mac
10-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Would possibly be a candidate for paperpatching a 30 cal.

runfiverun
10-23-2015, 02:22 PM
keep looking.

your boolit is for breech seating into the throat.
you should find a tool for placing it there amongst the stuff, and possibly a rifle with a funny looking stock.
maybe something marked 28-30 on a box or two kicking around too.

Johnch
10-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Oh we errr , he will keep looking
I can't help him till either I get a new truck to drive or the transmission gets fixed
As the other day the transmission started to slip and after 100 yards wouldn't go forward at all

And with the cost of rebuilding a transmission for a 2003 truck ...a new to me truck might be the way I have to go as there are a few other problems to fix also

Oh well
Thanks
John

runfiverun
10-24-2015, 10:56 PM
a rebuild should be in the 2-k price range.
that's what the one for my 89 bronco costs, the motor went a year later so it sits still for now.