PDA

View Full Version : Myth Busters getting axed

458mag
10-22-2015, 07:57 PM
I have always enjoyed the show, when they were playing with firearms, but when they basically said Carlos Hathcock was a liar by trying to duplicate his shot through the scope of the NVA bounty hunter sent after him I completely lost all respect for them. The two knuckle heads didn't even use the same equipment that was used when he made the shot. If you are going to call yourself an engineer, at least try to duplicate the conditions. A pox on them.

tdoor4570
10-22-2015, 08:12 PM
they lost all of my respect when they said that archery robin hoods were inpossable

Littleton Shot Maker
10-22-2015, 08:36 PM
well they are from Cali right?
that gives them a 50% chance of being wrong 100% of the time....
sorry guys I know some of you all live there. I did too, NOT by Choice and won't go back.
Hate to even visit the family or spend my dollars in that country...would rather go to Disney World , BUT they ( Disney ) hates MY kind now too, gun owner that is.

10x
10-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Their methods were not the most consistent.
The windows down/ A/C mileage test used two vehicles when one would have done.
This is what they should have done with one vehicle.
Get up to road speed - and switch to a 1 gallon temporary gas tank - drive with the windows up till the gallon is gone - record miles.
Get up to road speed - and switch to a 1 gallon temporary gas tank - drive with the windows down till the gallon is gone - record miles.
Get up to road speed - and switch to a 1 gallon temporary gas tank - drive with the windows up and A/C on till the gallon is gone - record miles.
And they should have tested at set speeds of 30 mph 50 mph, 60 mph and 70 mph.

Instead they used two vehicles and did a very loose comparison based on fuel consumption.

bedbugbilly
10-22-2015, 09:38 PM
That's alright . . . they'll probably replace it with another "reality" show . . . . something like the "Kardashians Live Like The Common Folks" . . . :-)

MaryB
10-22-2015, 09:54 PM
When they fired the crew I lost interest...

edler7
10-22-2015, 10:25 PM
I always thought they were pretty soft science. Ballistics and shooting.....:roll:

Havent watched the show in years.

Mk42gunner
10-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Funny thing, they couldn't get a .30 caliber through a scope, I put a garden variety .22 LR all the way through a Tasco 3/4" tube scope when I was a kid. I was at almost contact distance though.

I was squirrel hunting along a creek through the neighbors pasture, and my month old scope that cost me twelve or thirteen hard-earned dollars was so dark I couldn't see a hedgeapple with it, while I could see it fine once I took the scope off. That cheap scope soured me on scopes for quite a few years.

Robert

Uncle Jimbo
10-22-2015, 11:51 PM
I liked the show. Might not have been perfect in all their test, but I found it fun, light entertainment.

oldblinddog
10-23-2015, 12:21 AM
They later corrected themselves on the Carlos Hathcock shot. It was through a Russian PU (I think) scope with very little glass in it and many viewers called them on it.

But, I haven't watched in years either since this episode was only one, of many, that was a fluff job...

preparehandbook
10-23-2015, 12:51 AM
I used to live pretty close to those guys. Knew some people in common.

It is best to keep a couple points in mind.

The starts are prop makers, they make fake effects for a living. They do not test anything.

It is a TV show, scripts, storyboards, etc. The end result is determined long before they build their props.

Early on they realized controversy builds ratings. At this point they began to purposely disprove knowns, and to include glaring procedural errors so that people can enjoy "catching them"

jcwit
10-23-2015, 12:56 AM
At this point in time, what does it matter?

LongRangeAir
10-23-2015, 03:44 AM
I have a wall in my shop covered with RobinHoods. Impossible they say???:veryconfu

Knifemaker

lavenatti
10-23-2015, 05:54 AM
I only ever watched it for the redhead. Smart, pretty and always smiling - Can't beat that.

The show had no other merits.

10x
10-23-2015, 06:38 AM
I only ever watched it for the redhead. Smart, pretty and always smiling - Can't beat that.

The show had no other merits.

She is a vegan - possibly her only fault...

Rockydog
10-23-2015, 07:22 AM

That's probably because no one ever served her fresh venison backstraps cooked over an oak campfire.

montana_charlie
10-23-2015, 02:56 PM
She seemed unable to take direct sunlight for any length of time, and also had a very delicate stomach.
I am guessing her vegan-ness affected her health adversely.

KCSO
10-23-2015, 03:09 PM
As to the Robin Hoods... hitting the nock of another arrow isn't that hard, splitting the shaft for a ways will work also, but splitting the arrow from nock to point will only work if you can find a piece of wood with either no or perfect grain. I have damaged more than a few arrows in the last 55 years but never will I see one split from nock to point. But all in all a pretty useless debate about a largely fictional archer.

As to Mythbusters most of their TESTING is unnecessary for anyone who can think.

jcwit
10-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Wonder why they never tested as to how a bumblebee can fly, after all it is impossible, is it not?

Smoke4320
10-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Wonder why they never tested as to how a bumblebee can fly, after all it is impossible, is it not?
according to the Navy

shooterg
10-23-2015, 03:57 PM
The episode never shown is the one I want to see - their bowling ball cannon overshot their outfall area and damaged some dwellings - no one was hurt, but I'da like to seen it !

Uncle Jimbo
10-23-2015, 04:12 PM
That's probably because no one ever served her fresh venison backstraps cooked over an oak campfire.

I'm not a vegan and nobody ever served me any venison backstraps cooked over an oak campfire. :cry:

458mag
10-23-2015, 06:17 PM
A real engineer would have duplicated the conditions. Just sayin. I think their a couple of hacks.

DoubleAdobe
10-24-2015, 12:41 AM
She seemed unable to take direct sunlight for any length of time, and also had a very delicate stomach.
I am guessing her vegan-ness affected her health adversely.
My Dad used to say about the same thing about Bill Walton years ago. He was crowing about being a vegetarian then had bad foot and ankle problems.My Dad said well, yeah cuz he doesn't eat any meat.