View Full Version : MEC loader questions

Petrol & Powder
10-22-2015, 07:40 PM
I have picked up an old MEC 600 jr. reloader and I'm trying to sort it out. I have a couple of questions and I'm looking for some info.
1. I replaced the fixed charge bar with a newer style (still 302 for the single stage) that accepts powder bushings. The powder side of the bar leaks powder. I know there was some type of O-ring or seal that could be used to tighten the clearance between the powder bottle and the charge bar but I can't remember the details. Can someone refresh my memory on the methods to reduce powder leakage at the charge bar?

2. The starter crimp die appeared to be assembled with the insert backwards. There's a brass/copper type insert inside the die that starts the crimp and mine was installed with the convex profile facing towards the hull so that it would expand the mouth of the hull instead of starting the crimp. I assumed that the previous owner simply installed it backwards for some reason. I disassembled the die and flipped it over so that the concave side faced the hull. Has anyone seen that before? Was there some reason that it was inverted?

toallmy
10-22-2015, 08:01 PM
I don't have a clue as to the starter crimp ,but the powder issue can be fixed with the rubber bushing and a brass washer.you can probably download directions , mec people are very helpful to. Good luck and enjoy getting it going.

Greg S
10-22-2015, 08:21 PM
If I remember correctly, the new crimp starters are injection molded single pieces that fit on a ball swivel on the end of a stud screwed and locked into an arm on the press deck. The only items to Che k would be if it was a 6 point or 8. Use the appropriate one for your type of cases.

MEC customer service is quick. Call them in the A.M. and they should get the parts out tomorrow so you can have them next week.

Petrol & Powder
10-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks, I've run an old MEC Sizemaster for years and have been very impressed with that simple machine. I'm hoping to get the 600Jr. up to the same standard.

Petrol & Powder
10-22-2015, 08:28 PM
If I remember correctly, the new crimp starters are injection molded single pieces that fit on a ball swivel on the end of a stud screwed and locked into an arm on the press deck. The only items to Che k would be if it was a 6 point or 8. Use the appropriate one for your type of cases.

MEC customer service is quick. Call them in the A.M. and they should get the parts out tomorrow so you can have them next week.

10-4, this is an old machine that has metal crimp dies with a brass insert in the starter die. My newer Sizemaster has the injection molded crimp dies you speak of but this press is a pre-1980's model. The die works (now that I've flipped the insert) but I was wondering if that was a mistake or if there was some reason to mount the insert in the starter crimp upside down?

Iowa Fox
10-23-2015, 02:39 PM
MEC used a thin brass Bellville washer on the powder side of the slide bar. Leaks like a sieve without it dry as a bone with it, also don't forget the rubber washers. Gotta jump on mine this afternoon and load a few rounds for the Hastings quiet gun. Nothing but a thunk out of the 12ga with that tube screwed on with matching loads.

trapper9260
10-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Here is MEC website for reloaders that will help you https://www.mecshootingsports.com/

jsizemore
10-23-2015, 09:10 PM
10-4, this is an old machine that has metal crimp dies with a brass insert in the starter die. My newer Sizemaster has the injection molded crimp dies you speak of but this press is a pre-1980's model. The die works (now that I've flipped the insert) but I was wondering if that was a mistake or if there was some reason to mount the insert in the starter crimp upside down?

Some folks don't know what they're doing. Could be the previous owner just slapped it together to get it down the road. You already got it straightened out. Load away.

Petrol & Powder
10-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Here is MEC website for reloaders that will help you https://www.mecshootingsports.com/

Thanks for the link, just ordered the grommet and brass washer.

Petrol & Powder
10-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Just a quick update.

The rubber grommet and brass washers showed up. The powder/shot bar works as it should now. The starter crimp die issue was fixed by assembling it the correct way (still don't know why the former owner put it together backwards ?)

The old 600Jr is up and running. That old press may not be the fastest shotshell loader out there but it sure is a workhorse.

Thanks to all that offered advice and links.

EDG
10-30-2015, 01:44 PM
The current crimp starter is a one piece plastic item. Don't be tempted to switch to the new one because it does not work as well as the brass crimp starter.
There is NO reason I can think of to put the brass starter in backward. Some people have very limited mechanical aptitudes. Now that you have it right It will never need attention again.

Just a quick update.

The rubber grommet and brass washers showed up. The powder/shot bar works as it should now. The starter crimp die issue was fixed by assembling it the correct way (still don't know why the former owner put it together backwards ?)

The old 600Jr is up and running. That old press may not be the fastest shotshell loader out there but it sure is a workhorse.

Thanks to all that offered advice and links.

NuJudge
11-01-2015, 06:36 PM
There is a brass crimp starter that is currently being made as an aftermarket part, and it is billed as allowing you to get better crimps with new cases that have not been crimped before:
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Crown-Crimper-Large-Bore-6-Point/productinfo/0740006/

I bought one, but have not used it yet.