PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Tightness...

BCB
10-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Two questions:

When I put a die in my old RC’er and tighten with the tool that can be bought that has various sizes of slots for the different size of nuts associated with dies, they always seem to work loose after some sizing or seating. It seems they tighten and then after a bit of use, you can tighten more. Is the large insert on the RC’er press worn so smooth on the top that the die stop nut can’t really get a good grasp on it?...

How do you tighten the Mic adjustment tool that fits in the Uniflow measurer? You can’t really clamp pliers and such on it as it would mark the numbers on the dial. I have tried putting a piece of leather on it and then applying pressure with pliers, but it still works loose. Thoughts?...

I could use a 36” pipe wrench for both applications, but I think that might be defeating the purpose concerning tightness!!!...

Thanks…BCB

country gent
10-22-2015, 06:55 PM
When I rebuilt my uniflow measure and added the michrometer adjustment I added a set screw to lock it in place from the side of the drum. I jig ground and honed the bore made a new hardened drum with side plates to limit end play and the set screw lock in case the michrometers numbers didnt line up top dead center. You could drill and tap a 1/4 28 hole for a set screw and lead plug to help lock it in place. On the dies check to make sure both the presses bushing surface and die rings are flat and true, on truly square threads and faces spinning in by hand will ussually take a wrench to remove it. Lossening up indicated unsquare or dished surfaces. Pliers with rubber or leather jaws can be used ( a buddy dips a set of pliers in his lead pot to make lead jaws from also). I would check the surfaces make sure they are flat and true. Use a metal scales edge and look for light under it at the surfaces. or blacken the rings surface and screw in snug look for bright spots in the ink. Burrs or unevenly worn surfaces will allow lossening.

Geezer in NH
10-25-2015, 03:32 PM
I bought a bunch of Lee rings from Titan solved it for me. I adjust every time on my single station presses.

Mk42gunner
10-25-2015, 07:11 PM
The die locking collar is really more of a light duty jam nut. I usually tighten them just a bit past snug, and don't worry about locking the collar into place on the die.

Done properly, it should in theory stretch the thread on the die body, however minutely, and lock everything in place. Smoothness of the press insert should not matter. In reality???

I don't really like the Lee locking collars with the o-ring, but I have never had any troubles with them.

Robert