PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SRH Toklat 454

historicfirearms
10-22-2015, 04:59 PM
I went and looked at one of these today and am really liking it. Originally went looking for a four inch Redhawk, but something about the Toklat appeals to me. Kind of like a Mack truck, this one we use at work and I just think it's so cool.

Anyway, I don't really have a need for a 454. I just want one. Anybody else have one of the Toklat Rugers? How does it shoot?

paul h
10-22-2015, 06:02 PM
If they chambered it in the 480, I'd have one.

The only SRH 454's I've shot have been the 7 1/2" models.

Having fired several SRH's and having owned a 480 7 1/2" SRH for ~12 years it's like most Ruger revolvers, super strong, the action is a bit rough and the trigger a bit heavy. That said the SRH's have been exceptionally accurate. With load work the gun should put five shots into 1" at 50 yds.

If you're looking for a gun to shoot the stoutest 44 mag level loads that will never, ever, ever wear out, then yes you do need this ;)

paralaska
10-22-2015, 06:30 PM
I have both the Toklat and the 7 1/2 in model. Cannot detect any difference in recoil between the two. The Toklat shoots just as accurate as the longer model. They have really good grips on them. I prefer the Toklat for woods carry because it's lighter and easier to draw. You can also shoot .45 long colts which are real mild, or reduced .454 loads. I think it's a really good, well built gun.

Cornbread
10-22-2015, 09:56 PM
This will probably be the next 454 I get. It's an addiction I tell you :) If you do get it, post a review after you have given it a go. Especially if you test it with cast.

makicjf
10-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Love mine! I might consider it the best all around weapon/tool I own---its certainly the most capable and diverse! A lee 300gc sized to the throats (.454) water dropped and smooshed down on top of 30.5 of h110 gets me a steady 1535-1550 and is more accurate than I am. The trigger is actually pretty nice, but has a strong "stage" point in double action. I'd not really describe it as stacking. I don't shoot 45 colt through it because my Redhawk in 45 colt is finally popping all primers, but I could if need arose. The grip is really nice... I prefer to shoot the above load from the 454 than to shoot the lee 300 gc over 24 of h110 from the redhawk.
jASON

Electric88
10-23-2015, 11:19 AM
I also have the 7 1/2" Super Redhawk, and it's a freaking tank of a revolver. I love it, and if the Toklat is the same it will be an exceptional gun

Markbo
10-24-2015, 10:58 PM
What is a Toklat anyway?

paul h
10-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Toklat is a river in Alaska. It's also what Ruger has called their 454 SRH w/ 5" barrel with flats milled on the side to lighten it.

historicfirearms
11-11-2015, 08:58 AM
I finally located one of the Toklats and brought it home with me. So far I am very impressed. It seems to be very accurate with the few loads I have tried in it. The inside of the barrel is very smooth and I have shot around fifty rounds with boolits and got zero leading. The single action trigger pull was 6.5 pounds fresh out of the box, but dry firing and live fire have brought it down to a crisp 4 pounds. Double action pull is heavy but acceptable. Barrel - cylinder gap is .005". Fit and finish are good, but mine arrived with a small and light 3/8" scratch on the underside of the barrel. I can live with it but come on Ruger, you can do better. The grips that came on the revolver are great at taming recoil, fit my hand perfectly, and are grippy enough but not sticky, I love them.

The only thing I don't like so far, is that it makes a couple very loud clicks when cocking single action. The first click is the bolt stop falling into the cylinder notch. The second, and louder, click is when the hammer sets into the single action notch. Imagine dropping a 45 casing into a box of other casings from waist level, that's about how loud it is. Its enough to scare a deer off in a quiet woods. Hoping it will get better with more use.

When I get a chance to try out some more loads and boolits, I will post an update.

Markbo
11-11-2015, 09:52 PM
With a little practice you can do that without making much noise. Go slow and use both hands.

paul h
11-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Practice shooting double action. I find I can fire the SRH more accurately DA than SA.

historicfirearms
11-12-2015, 03:18 PM
With a little practice you can do that without making much noise. Go slow and use both hands.

I played with it a bit more today. Cocking it single action was noisy no matter how I did it. What I found that made it quite was to pull the trigger through double action and with the other hands thumb catch the hammer and hold it all the way back, let off the trigger and the hammer stayed cocked, silently.