PDA

View Full Version : Fill-out problem?

Whitespider
04-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I’m using a couple of Lee TL molds, pouring with a ladle. I’m having trouble with one side or half of the mold filling out the front driving band. Always in the same mold half, happens with both molds. I’ve tried varying the temp of the alloy and the molds. If I raise the temp of the alloy or cast faster the side that won’t fill out starts to get frosty. I’ve tried a clean mold and a smoked mold, same results. The alloy is a 50/1 - WW/Tin, should I add more tin? I’m not long on tin so I hesitate to start dumping it in the pot. What do you guys think? Am I missing something else to try?

Like some sort of dummy, I threw them all back in the pot so I can't provide any pictures? :groner:

randyrat
04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I wonder if there is some tough dirt,grease,or stuborn oil of some sort in there. What did you clean it with. I would clean it with HOT soapy water and an old tooth brush then smoke the heck out of it. What did you smoke it with? I use a bic lighter or stick matches. Don't use candles or patrolium based smoke.

Ben
04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Clean the mold good with hot soapy water like randyrat suggested. It isn't clean yet. Small minute traces of oils can cause the problem. ( Be certain that mold is 101% dry before thinking about pouring any lead into that mold.). I like to lightly heat mine with a propane torch before casting with it .

I doubt this is your problem but it could be venting.

I've had several Lee molds that don't vent well. Most likely however your problem is that the mold just isn't clean yet.

Ben

Whitespider
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
I cleaned them with mineral spirits and sprayed with brake clean. I smoke with a Bic lighter. I’ve opened the vents a tiny bit with a dentil pick.
I’ll give them a good scrub with hot soapy water and see what happens.
Thanks for the replies.