PDA

View Full Version : Texas propositions 2015

popper
10-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Not political - just some wierd propositions here. Non-Texans won't understand our gov. system.
Prop 4 - pro sports raffles - special interest amendment for Jones, Cuban, etc. Raffle is defined as gambling, of sorts, like a lottery. Why do this?
Prop 7 Interesting problem with roads, seems like after 2000 the $ added to the road fund increased dramatically but inflation has increased the COST of building roads even faster. With the extra funds, inflation in this area IMHO will get much worse. Additionally, IMHO, TXDOT is pretty poor in it's function anyway.

"shall deposit to the credit of the state highway fund $2.5

billion of the net revenue derived from the imposition of the state

sales and use tax on the sale, storage, use, or other consumption in

this state of taxable items under Chapter 151, Tax Code, or its

successor, that exceeds the first $28 billion of that revenue

coming into the treasury in that state fiscal year."

Taking sales tax to build roads is a change from using gas tax for funding. Fed returned tax is lacking, i.e. spread the Texas wealth elsewhere.An amount of gas tax is put in the rainy day fund - which has dramatically increased recently as has the cap on the fund.
Prop 5 lets small counties fix their own roads - I assume this relinquishes TXDOT control? Or funding? Something fishy here.

Anyway, Texans need to get informed before voting.
Maybe this will help. https://bivisual.cpa.texas.gov/QvAJAXZfc/OpenDocNoToolbar.htm?document=Documents%2FTR_Maste r_UI.qvw&host=QVS%40daupswap80&anonymous=true&select=LB00,09&sheet=SH19

wch
10-22-2015, 10:54 AM
I wish PA would do that- we pay 70 cents per gallon state and federal taxes.

starmac
10-22-2015, 12:56 PM
It has been several years snce I have been there, but at the time a dirt road in Texas was maintained better than a toll road in Pa. lol

dragon813gt
10-22-2015, 01:23 PM
I wish PA would do that- we pay 70 cents per gallon state and federal taxes.

And come 2017 we will be over $1 :mad:

It has been several years snce I have been there, but at the time a dirt road in Texas was maintained better than a toll road in Pa. lol

I was recently in Texas for two weeks. The roads weren't much better than in PA. Same lack of maintenance. Only difference was no deep pot holes in Texas. Considering the mileage they have to maintain they appear to do a better job. But the weather and climate sure help that.

popper
10-22-2015, 03:30 PM
The prop #7 is advertised to finance (study for 2020) metroplex traffic jams. Note - TEA/EDU/HHS/WELFARE costs are $553B whle TXDOT is $76B. Direct from state web site - interactive so you can look up the details.
Lets see, 3 trips to Ks, 1 to Ne, 1 to Tn - 4 to Houston, this year. Texas roads are TERRIBLE.

no deep pot holes in Texas You're kidding, right? DFW has 'repaired' - filled with asphalt - some 40K and still working. Houston proper is worse. IMHO, these props don't solve a thing. Texas is like the 4th most in debt state in the union. Major payments to Mellon bank. People gripe about how the US has gone to pot but don't follow the money trail. Haven't been to Pa in 20 yrs, roads weren't bad then. I suspect the same problem in most states.