PDA

View Full Version : Advice on purchase of .45LC SA pistol.

mtnman31
04-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I am contemplating getting a single action 45LC. I don't have a long list of requirements - inexpensive, good quality, a fairly accurate modern copy of an "old west six shooter". Mostly just needs to be externally accurate - I understand that some of the modern copies have updated internals. I don't want anything shiny or plated, prefer a blued or case hardened finish.

I saw in the most recent Shotgun News that CDNN has Taurus Gauchos on sale. Anyone have an opinion of these? I also looked at a few of the Beretta Stampedes and Ruger SA pistols. Any positive recommendations, as well as things to stay away from, are highly appreciated.

A 45LC would just be something different to play with and not something that I want to sink a ton of money into. Having said that, I am not looking for THE cream of the crop or top of the line, just something that will make a decent shooter and provide me with some fun.

Thanks

targetshootr
04-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I've got a 45 USFA Rodeo I may sell, if interested. They're probably the best SAA out there.

EDK
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Go look at RUGER VAQUEROS or NEW VAQUEROS. There's a difference in frame sizes that really shows up in a side-by-side examination. The VAQUERO is on the standard RUGER frame (same as 44 magnums) while the NEW VAQUERO is about the same size as a COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY.

I like the Original Size VAQUERO because it's available in 44 and it fits my leather for Cowboy Action Shooting; grips interchange also.

Differences of opinion is what makes horse races and political elections. Both guns are good, just for different reasons.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

timkelley
04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Ruger New Vaquero.

Lloyd Smale
04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
if you want a great gun thats a close copy of a colt you ought to be checking this out. The tarus are proably good guns for what there closing them out for but id be scared as old holy hell about there warantee dept. It is NOT GOOD. The ruger is probably going to be the strongest and the most durable of the bunch. If it were my money id go with the USFA but then i dont have one and want one and that could be part of my reasoning.
I've got a 45 USFA Rodeo I may sell, if interested. They're probably the best SAA out there.

shooting on a shoestring
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
"Advice on purchase of .45LC SA pistol." - Get one.

Go with Ruger New Model Blackhawk or Old Vaquero if you want to shoot heavy, fast, 44 Mag type of loads. However, you really don't need the stomper loads in .45 Colt. Thats a cartridge that has big heavy 250 gr boolits and moves them 900 to 1000 fps out of all the other revolvers you're looking at. If you want those big boolits to go 1300 fps, get a Ruger or better.

Yep that big bore "boom" is a hoot to shoot. It sure can deplete your lead pile in a hurry, but its fun.

Wayne Smith
04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
If you want authenticity you can't go wrong with a Uberti Cattleman. Uberti makes them to the original Colt specifications. They bought the 1873 Colt equipment when Colt sold it. Your modern Colt 1873's are Uberti's that are fit and finished by Colt.

Of course this gun has all of the shortcomings of the original. For all intents and purposes it is an original.

Dale53
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I am a shooter, not a collector, so that tends to "color" my judgment. However, if you want an extremely durable and reliable six shooter to USE, then for me it is HANDS DOWN, Ruger.

I have several Rugers including a Bisley Vaquero. They ALL needed a trigger job and they all Shoot WELL. I can recommend them without reservation.

Dale53

Knarley
04-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Uberti cattleman:-D Ruger New Model Vaquero:-D I have both. I like the Uberti cuz it's finished like it's already 100 yrs old, I can't hurt it and it is like handling a real old Colt. The Ruger is a slick little gun that handles recoil BETTER than a single-six, go figure. You won't go wrong with either.
Happy Trails,
Knarley :Fire:

burch
04-14-2008, 06:47 PM
If you want it for plinking and hunting go find yourself an older model Ruger Vaquero or one of the Blackhawks. They can withstand the heavy loads.

Burch

PatMarlin
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Taurus will honor their warranttees. They just take forever to do it.

I LOVE my 70's series Blackhawk. $300 hawkshop find that obviously already had a trigger job. Can't go wrong there.,

Freightman
04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
I have a Taurus Gaucho, smooth trigger, but it don't like hard primers so CCI and Remington are out does fine with Federal and Winchester. POA accurate or at least mine is, got mine from CDNN $279 including shipping, but I work for a FFL part time. It loves a 200g Lyman SWC that I have, not at all bad with 250g TC eather, the 300 I tried it with was fine but the recoil is harsher than the others. It is the 7.5" barrel I like it fine.
I may order another before they are gone and add another holster to my belt.
I have a '78 Ruger Super Black hawk in 44 mag if I had to get rid of one it would be the Taurus like the gun but love my RSBH better.

Wicky
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't think you can go past a Ruger - I have a half dozen - two in 45LC for SASS. I did a trigger job on them and they both shoot like a dream.

beagle
04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Go for a convertible Blackhawk....the 5 1/2" model. I love mine. Wouldn't be without it. Shoots .45 ACPs like a house a fire as well./beagle

fecmech
04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Beagle--I've been thinking about a convertable blackhawk but am curious about the accuracy. I have no interest in the .45 lc just the acp. Will your blackhawk group under 2" benched at 25 yds with good acp target loads? Thanks Nick

trickyasafox
04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
not exactly what your looking for but i've been pining over a 5.5 in convertable.

beagle
04-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Definitely...... and with heavier bullets and loads also. I bought that gun for the .45 Colt and frankly, I didn't expect much from the ACP cylinder but now I shoot more .45 ACP through it than .45 Colt as I have more good .45 Brass.

The convertibles that Ruger makes are definitely worth the money. I just wish they made a SBH with a .44 Special cylinder as mine don't shoot .44 Specials that accurately.

The 5.5" barrel sure makes it handier to carry than the longer barrels as well and accuracy due to the shorter sight radius doesn't seem to suffer either./beagle

Beagle--I've been thinking about a convertable blackhawk but am curious about the accuracy. I have no interest in the .45 lc just the acp. Will your blackhawk group under 2" benched at 25 yds with good acp target loads? Thanks Nick

eljefe
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I own a 41 magnum blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel, and couldn't be happier with it.
Even with my diminished vision, I can see the front sight pretty well.

I have my eye on a Cimarron model p in 357 magnum, but am kind of thinking of staying with the blackhawk for the adjustable sights; and, of course, the extra strength of the design.

Looking at ruger's website, they are discontinuing some of the shorter barrel blackhawks. I might have to decide pdq...

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=13&variation=Blued&bct=Yes&type=Revolver

Dale53
04-17-2008, 09:55 AM
eljefe;
I looked at the Ruger web site and it just may be that they are now supplying the new Rugers with Black Rubber grips instead of laminated wood. I see plenty of the shorter models but they have an "L" suffix model number and no longer have the wood grips. It IS a bit confusing, but hopefully they are not dropping these fine revolvers, but have changed the grips and model numbers to go with the new grips.

Dale53

eljefe
04-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Good call, Dale. I actually like those rubber grips; might try a set on my 41. That rosewood can get a little slippery with heavy loads.

StrawHat
04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I am contemplating getting a single action 45LC. I don't have a long list of requirements - inexpensive, good quality, a fairly accurate modern copy of an "old west six shooter". Mostly just needs to be externally accurate - I understand that some of the modern copies have updated internals. I don't want anything shiny or plated, prefer a blued or case hardened finish.

Thanks

I think EMF still imports the Hartford line of SAs and Cimmarron has an extensive line up also.

I have always been partial to Uberti made guns but most of mine are cap and ball revolvers not cartridge.

I have handled a couple of Uberti Model "P" clones and they seemed fine. They shoot about where I was aiming and went bang when I pulled the trigger.

Perhaps not the technical review others can write but it does cover the basics.

The more expensive copies are finished a little better or have different markings. The basic gun is a copy of a 135 year old design.

It might be old but it is a lot of fun.

Good Luck!