PDA

View Full Version : Another "what lube" thread.. Bens red?

302w
10-21-2015, 07:08 PM
Hey all, I have been PCing and I love the final product, but it takes too long..

I have a lubsizer, and Lee push through sizers too. I'm seeking a lube that shoots clean and smells decent.. I was very turned off by old cast boolits with Javelina.

How does Bens Red smell? Are there ANY downsides? It seems to be an end all be all lube.

I'm casting for a 9mm Shield, but 30-30 and 8mm soon.

JWFilips
10-21-2015, 08:09 PM
If you make it right It smells like Heaven! When you shoot it right it shoot like all hell! & That is GOOD!
It is the best but you better follow Ben's Instructions!

Yodogsandman
10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Ben's Red is great but, if time is a major factor, try some Ben's Liquid Lube, it just might be my "go to" lube for everything, now. Easy too make and easy to apply. Much faster than PC, too.

Just mix 60/40, Lee Liquid Alox and Johnsons Liquid Floor Wax. Just a few drops (8-10) to coat about 50 bullets, swish them around till coated, lay them out to dry, then load em and shoot em! I've been using 3 coats for HV rifle loads and just one coat for pistol rounds. No leading, no fuss and quick, too!

blikseme300
10-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Ben's Red and BLL together are a match made in heaven when used for my 30-30, 300blk, 444M, 308MX and 8x57. Used other lubes before and was OK with very slight leading and initial flyers at HV but since I switched to the combo of Ben's Red and BLL both of these annoyances disappeared. My range sessions typically exceed 100 rounds and I need very little cleaning between sessions as the bores stay shiny and there is no need to disturb the bore conditioning.

ubetcha
10-21-2015, 09:05 PM
I made some Ben's Red and it smelled pretty bad probably due to the grease used. After while I guess it didn't smell to bad, but making it is time consuming and somewhat tricky.

35 shooter
10-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Ben's Red puts my first cold bbl. shots in the group so i could care less how it smells...it works like a charm.
That first shot is all important in a hunting situation.
First shot to last shot all in the group is what i'm after... Ben's Red delivers for me!
Keep the heat low when making it and there won't be much smell at all.

Bll works just the same for me either used as an overcoat on top of Ben's Red, or just used by itself as a stand alone lube.
As yodogsandman said... 1 or 2 light coats for pistol and 3 light coats for rifle.
Takes about 2 hours to dry between coats...load em the next day.

I love the performance i get with Ben's lubes...they smell just fine to me!!

Tailhunter
10-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Here is what I've seen. Or smelled. Grease stinks, period. I made a butt load of Ben's Red, it works but it stinks.
I've also used a lube called simple green, it works too but no stink. My sinuses say stick with SG, I have seen no difference in accuracy or protection from leading. I have only used these lubes with my 45/70 so my overall experience with them is limited.

edctexas
10-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Try TAC-1 or TAC-X from RandyRat. Smells good and works well. TAC-X if its really hot or TAC-1 if it is cool to normal temps.

Ed C

302w
10-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Does bens red require heat in a lubsizer?

This is ridiculous.. But is it possible to cover up the grease stank with small quantities of scented oils?

I can't stand the smell of Javelina.

runfiverun
10-21-2015, 11:19 PM
grease smells like grease.

you might like simple lube, you just melt the wax and stir in the other stuff. [probably have most of it in your garage]
the recipe is a couple of posts down.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-22-2015, 12:25 AM
RandyRat's TAC-1 smells like Honey when lubing the boolits.
I don't notice any smell when shooting the lubed boolits.

GhostHawk
10-22-2015, 08:20 AM
I would try the Ben's liquid lube first for your 9mm. Dead easy to make and use. Then if you find you need/want another layer of protection for rifle boolits pushed hard try Ben's Red under a coat or 2 of Ben's Liquid lube. This stuff is magic in rifles. But unless you push your cast hard you probably would not need the Bens Red.

As to smell, I have been shooting almost all Red Dot and it has a distinct odor. I have never really noticed the Ben's Red or BLL. And I don't mind the Red Dot. To me it is the smell of money saved.

302w
10-22-2015, 01:48 PM
I might try to make my own. Is there a local source for raw carnauba?

Tailhunter
10-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Ok. Y'all can yell at me if you want but I did it anyway.
The smell of grease is bad on my sinuses so I tried using Simple Green. The stuff works. I did not like the stickiness of the lube so I altered the formula a little. (this is the part where you yell, cant you just follow directions) I used 10 oz. of bees wax, 10 tsp. of walmart brand vasoline, 5 tsp. of stihl 2 cycle oil, 5 tsp. of ATF and 5 tsp. of Johnson's liq. floor wax.
It fills the groves with no taciness, smells like beeswax and leaves no lead fouling at all.
So how bad did I screw things up?

Here is 5 shots I just took using it .....

runfiverun
10-22-2015, 04:27 PM
simple lube was developed to be modified.
it takes anything except synthetic oils quite well.

I'm pretty sure randyrat has carnuba I have got bees wax and lanolin from him and xlox [alox] from lars's stuff down below.

Tailhunter
10-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Yup I just got the beeswax from him today.

dverna
10-22-2015, 10:37 PM
I just ordered 4 bottles of Lee Alox to make BLL. I have tens of thousands of commercial cast bullets to process and it seems the most cost and time effective method