PDA

View Full Version : Bob Marvel 1911 Build Class Review

seagiant
10-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Hi,
Would LOVE to take this class!!!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hand-building-a-custom-1911-the-bob-marvel-way/

M-Tecs
10-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Maybe after I retire.

tenx
10-22-2015, 02:44 PM
met him at camp perry in the 90's, super nice guy. willing to give me some of his time and answer my dumb questions. thanks bob...

Greg S
10-22-2015, 04:01 PM
I took one with Vickers about 6-7 years ago. It really helps the sickness. Haven't done much the past 2 years due to my work schedule as I'm still on builds 7-9. Build 7 just needs some mill work (Sight cuts and tig on a Chen mag chute), 8 frame and slide fitted, high cut and front strap checkered, need to hardfit the barrel next. Build 9 is still in a ziplock back of an ovesized frame, slide, and a slew of WC parts and a Kart barrel. In the meantime, I've picked up a Barstow MT Commander barrel, which led to me purchasing a S80 Colt Commander which will get a full re-build.

Taking a class is a spendy. I was well prepared for my vacation, a had read, rezread x 3 Kuhnhausen's book till the light turned on. I still had questions which I jotted down to ask in class. Have an open mind and be ready to drink the info as it comes outta the firehose, no joke. It'll make waterboarding seem docile. The best part of the class I took away was trouble shooting, the instructor wasn't the Shell Answer Man in the respect that he made you deduce through prodding what the problem was and the course to correct the problem. When someone ran into a problem, the class was stopped and the problem discussed so basically, everyone experianced the same build problem.

Take copious notes and refine them in the evenings on a laptop. Idetify any questions to clarify the notes in the morning. Be ready to tackle a second simular build on your return home immeadiately to further hone your skills and embed the info. I rebuilt an existing Colt Government so instead of frame to slide fitting I tackled frame tightening which was covered in class.

These classes fill up fast. I'm looking at taking another class here in the next year or two to see how another smiff builds his mouse trap. As was mentioned, there are alot of folks out there building pistols, but not all of them run. I no longer have to rely on a guy that hangs a shingle outside his shop that says gunsmith who really is a blowhard parts exchanger. I travel alot but always carry enough parts and tools to rebuild at least one complete pistol.

9mm. Yes, I've built one and yes, it runs like a sewing machine, now. I highly recommend building a few 45s before tackling a 9mm build. There are alot of idiosyncrasies with running a 9mm para (30-38k) in a platform designed for the 45 ACP (16-18k). There is alot of helpfull info out there as to mags, mag catches, barrels, ejectors and discussions on slide lightening.

Love Life
10-22-2015, 07:16 PM
I really want to take one of his classes. There a couple others closer to me that I may look into as well. I've been teaching myself on Norinco's and it is coming well, but it would be nice to have a master in the room to give you guidance.

John 242
11-15-2015, 09:25 PM
I really want to take one of his classes. There a couple others closer to me that I may look into as well. I've been teaching myself on Norinco's and it is coming well, but it would be nice to have a master in the room to give you guidance.

We (MSC college in Tishomingo, OK) offer a 1911 build class as part of our NRA summer program. It's taught by Mike Watkins from Brownells. The class is about $300 (don't remember if there's a lab fee) and it's a week long. Mike is a American Pistolsmith's Guild member and works in the tech department at Brownells.
If you want more details, you can post back here or shoot me a PM.

Love Life
11-15-2015, 09:47 PM
John 242 I sent you a pm. Thank you for the information heads up on the MSC class.

John 242
11-15-2015, 10:14 PM
No problem. PM sent back. Any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

seagiant
11-15-2015, 10:24 PM
We (MSC college in Tishomingo, OK) offer a 1911 build class as part of our NRA summer program. It's taught by Mike Watkins from Brownells. The class is about $300 (don't remember if there's a lab fee) and it's a week long. Mike is a American Pistolsmith's Guild member and works in the tech department at Brownells.
If you want more details, you can post back here or shoot me a PM.

Hi,
Thanks!

If you can put the info here for everyone that would be good?

If not I would like it!

John 242
11-15-2015, 11:53 PM
No problem.

The class is tentatively scheduled to run from 6 to 10 June, in the summer of 2016. I say tentatively because we haven't published our 2016 flyer yet. Love Life mentioned he wanted to take a 1911 class, so I figured I would speak up. We should have flyers made up in a few weeks and I would be happy to email or snail mail anyone who want's a copy.

The class should be $300, but that DOES NOT include the frame, slide, barrel or small parts. Generally, Mike limits the class to 10 students.
Last year, most of the students ordered frames and slides that were not fit and gunsmith fit barrels. We managed to get all of the fitting complete by the end of class, but refinishing will have to done in a different class or on your own. Barrel fitting and installation including final chamber reaming and headspace, fitting a grip safety, barrel bushing installation, milling for sights, fitting a link and checking timing, trigger fit and trigger jobs, tuning an extractor are covered, along with many other things I'm forgetting.

One of the guys last year built a wide body (double column) Caspian in 9mm Luger, but Mike is the "go to" on what he would like for you to bring to class.

Accommodations are available both in town and on campus. Although Tish is a pretty small town, Durant and Ardmore aren't too far away (I drive every day back and forth from Ardmore).

Any questions, please feel free to hit me up here or you can send me an email at jtremblay@mscok.edu

Am I forgetting anything?
I trimmed some of my response down so my post doesn't sound like free advertising. If you'd like to learn more about our gunsmithing program, you can go to the MSC website listed below or our Facebook page, also listed below.

http://www.mscok.edu/academics/departments/gunsmithing_technology/gunsmithing_program_information.aspx
(http://www.mscok.edu/academics/departments/gunsmithing_technology/gunsmithing_program_information.aspx)
http://https://www.facebook.com/pages/Murray-State-College-Gunsmithing-Program/347974078627726

Here's the 2015 flyer. There will be some changes for 2016, but on page 7 is Mike's class and course description.
http://www.mscok.edu/sites/www/Uploads/files/Academics/Gunsmithing/NRA%20Summer%202015%20final%20copy.pdf