PDA

View Full Version : a couple of new guy questions

wiley
04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Howdy - Just about to jump into casting & have been studying up on molds. If I were to use a mold designed as a "gas check" mold, can a boolit be cast without using the gas check, and suffer no loss of accuracy as a result? Next question...I take it that lubrisizer presses are for the most part set up to handle hollow 1" tubes of lube. If using home brewed lube instead of the factory stick, do you just pour it in the press chamber? Please explain....

thanks,
Wiley

klausg
04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
wiley-
1st question-boolits are cast, then the gascheck is applied during the lubing/sizing operation. Yes, you can shoot gas checked designs w/out the check; I've never personally tried it but some members report good results.

Next question-You are correct, you pour the (molten) lube directly into the chamber.

If I may make a suggestion, I would start out with some of Lar45's "White Label" lubes (see link @ bottom of page). It's good stuff and cheaper than just about anything else you'll find. Making your own lube can get messy and your significant other may kill you for getting beeswax all over the kitchen[smilie=1:

mooman76
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Wiley
You can use gas check bullets without checks. You usually cant push them as hard but there are ways around that. It's best to get a non checked mould if that's what you want to shoot or remove the check in the mould.
Like Klausg said you can pour the lube in or if your lube hardens somewhat some have made moulds for the lube out of PVC with some release agent to slip it out.

dromia
04-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the forums Wiley. :-D

You got good advice already, un checked gas check boolits can shoot very well at plain base velocities, ultimately only your rifle will tell.

Ditto the White Label lube recommendation.