PDA

View Full Version : 80% AR Build. Who has done one and if so what Jig?

JesterGrin_1
10-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Well I plan to do an AR 80% lower with an 80% ARMS Jig. But since I have never done something like this I was hoping that a few of the other nuts on the forum could show off there handy work and what they used?

Thank You. :)

OBIII
10-21-2015, 12:27 AM
I haven't done one yet, but I have two lowers and one jig from the company that made the lowers. The jig is supposed to be one time use, but I figure if I am careful, I'll be all right.
OB

montanamike
10-21-2015, 01:23 AM
I have used the 80% arms easy jig and it works great they'll do at least 3 lowers before you have to replace any jig plates.

Littleton Shot Maker
10-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Have not used that brand- BUT I am making deal with James Madison Tactical to get a few in stock to carry at shows, shoots etc...308 and 556!!! 308 is DPMS patterned will not fit armalites
please take a look at them , they are stout, come from folks that DO/ did still do Aircraft grade quality work.

If you call ask for Scott , tell him Alan in Az referred you, please..

Jig comes with every frame they sell , you will need the tools ( drill press) still and the bits, I plan on getting those, so I can sell them as a package with or with out 'drill bits & end mill cutter'.
Sorry to Jump your thread just want to help these guys get the word out there

JesterGrin_1
10-21-2015, 05:05 AM
I have used the 80% arms easy jig and it works great they'll do at least 3 lowers before you have to replace any jig plates.

You know I thought a bit about that and am wondering why one can not simply drill out the holes and press in a hard replaceable bushing in bronze or stainless steel?

nekshot
10-21-2015, 07:54 AM
I got the 80 percent finished and then bought a finished one for forty bucks or so and use that for measurements. I do have a mill so it is easy, but I often wondered how many of these recievers are ending up in the trash bin from screwups!

Vann
10-21-2015, 09:06 AM
I've built 2 rifles using the 80% arms jig and Daytona Tactical rifle kits. I am very happy with the way they turned out. I'd post pictures if I could but I'm at work now maybe I will later if I can figure out how.

A couple of guy's did a side by side comparison of the Daytona rifles with a Bushmaster, and you really can't find any difference in over all quality.

The next one I build will be based on a 80% Arms machined upper and lower.

As far as using the jig, I used a router and it worked fine. Just go slow, if you rush it you'll find the router bouncing around in the hole and leaving chatter marks. It's no big deal they can be cleaned up with a bit of fine Emory cloth. Also I found that I could not do the trigger slot with my full size router, so I had to finish it in the drill press.

xacex
10-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Harbor freight mini mill. Done several, and before the law changed this year let family and friends use it too. I got a bunch of 80% for 22.50$ and handed them out for Christmas presents. Don't ask me where I got them for that price, that ship has sailed. That darn thing has paid for itself between the AR-15 lowers, and AR-10 lowers I have done, and now I have a piece of equipment I can use for other things like making side charge uppers.
BTW, I still use the jig, but just use it to draw the top lines to start, and then use the mill to get it perfect. Makes it real easy. I just have a weird need to make it a mini cnc now.

Mauser48
10-22-2015, 12:33 AM
I haven't done one but I heard the good jigs to use are the ones that have a bushing in the drill hole so you don't mess up the drill hole if its not perfectly center. I think if you use a cnc you don't need a jig. I believe the bushing is made of delrin.

clearcut
10-24-2015, 07:48 PM
The Daytona jig has steel bushings,but only on one side they are replaceable,if you don't hit the sides of the jig it should do lots of lowers.Drill press and X Y vise worked for me.
CC

tommag
11-01-2015, 08:14 AM
I completed my first one with a modulus arms jig. I used a drill press and small router. It works, but I had to use a dremel in the front of the pocket, as the lower portion of the hammer was binding on the receiver.
I buggered up one of the holes for the safety, but that was my fault. The drill press table rotated a few degrees and I didn't notice it.
I do think steel bushings would be an improvement.

rtracy2001
11-01-2015, 09:31 AM
I used a Tactical Machining jig and a Harbor Freight 8" tabletop drill press and X-Y vise. The TM jig is aluminum with steel drill bushings. They also offer an adapter to use the jig with a router.

Here is a tip: normally aluminum calls for a 2-flute end mill so chips will clear better. However, if you use a drill press, the 2-flute mill will chatter horribly. The drill press cuck just isn't rigid enough. Using a 4-flute cutter eliminates the chatter. (Stop and clear chips with an old paintbrush and a shop vac about every pass or two, depending on how deep you cut each pass.)