PDA

View Full Version : Yield on range scrap?

DaveSpud
10-20-2015, 09:22 PM
I did a search, and it seems the yield on range scrap is 75-80%..true?

Have a lead on a local source. Scrap for 40 cents a pound. Ingots for a buck a pound. Sounds like the scrap would be a better deal.

Opinions invited.

petroid
10-20-2015, 10:26 PM
If the range scrap contains much in the way of copper jackets your yield will be quite a bit lower. However, copper is more expensive than lead and the jackets recovered from the smelting process will have some value. Not as good as clean copper, but can be sold to a recycler. I would think you'd be lucky to get 50% yield of lead from range scrap considering the trash that is also in it unless it was clean and almost all lead. Might be cheaper and would definitely be easier to get the ingots but it depends on the quality and how much work you want to do. Also consider your fuel cost for smelting.

dilly
10-20-2015, 10:42 PM
I would have to disagree with petroid here. I melt range scrap and you get way more than 50% yield. Unless you are careless and put a bunch of dirt or shredded tires in with it.

A bucket of jackets is not dense at all compared to the same bucket of unsettled range scrap.

You would be money ahead to make your own ingots but it is definitely a lot of work. Don't forget to factor in the labor.

mac1911
10-20-2015, 11:31 PM
I put 3/8" screen on a clam rake/digger.
I run the clam differ along the soil. Get more lead than I can,carry in short order.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-20-2015, 11:35 PM
while you didn't share the details...common sense will tell you range scrap mined from an outdoor range will have rocks, sand, and dirt. So depending on how it's mined, will determine % yield.
I suspect your potential connection is indoor range scrap, and it should be well over 90% yield per weight, and you can sell the copper jackets.

BUT...
You may find it well worth the money for someone else to do the work of ingotizing the alloy. It is alot of work...plus equipment, Fuel,Time, and if it's indoor scrap, there'll probably be some small particles and even lead 'dust', be very careful so it doesn't become airborne.

DaveSpud
10-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Its indoor range scrap, and he offered to buy the copper jackets back. Propane is cheap, and its 'fun' work for me, so I guess that yields the answer.

gunarea
10-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Hey DaveSpud
You go get whatever you can. Melt it down, clean it up, check it out and post your results. There isn't anyone who can predict exactly what you will get out of the experience. Never let the "fun" get sucked out by others. I been doing this stuff for over fifty years, it's still "fun" for me. While the age thing has gotten me, cynicism is being held at bay, at least so far. The empirical data gleaned from hands on experience has no substitute. As you learn what is good and what is chaff, input for others later on will bear much greater value. Thoroughly search for guidance, technique, hazard, tips, and avoid opinions. This is not new science, but has been refined over the years with an emphasis on safety along with great advances in end product. Please drop me a line on the day you realize your hoard of lead is too big.
Roy

10sandxs
10-21-2015, 08:13 AM
I recently smelted 450 lbs of indoor range scrap for the first time. I have about 50 lbs of jackets and 400 lbs of lead. The jackets pail has some unmelted bullets that I need to sort, but aside from the rubber fire from the first 50 lbs in the smelter, it went pretty well.

Word of advice, if the range has a shreaded rubber backstop, pick as much of the rubber chunks out as possible...

My scrap dealer pays between $0.85 and $1.75 for copper jackets, depending on how dirty/residual lead it has

Sasquatch-1
10-21-2015, 08:19 AM
I get less then 25% jackets and dirt from outdoor, dirt berm range scrap. Usually this has maybe a pound or two of dirt from a 5 gallon bucket. I usually get a couple pounds of steel jackets which go in the trash. The rest is lead, copper and brass. The brass and copper will more then pay for your propane.

Also, being as this is an indoor range you may come across a lot of copper sintered bullets.

MilesTeg
10-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Make sure you check out my thread about this on the Lead section of this forum. My opinion on yield it depend on the trap make up and mining technique. For my case it was an indoor sand trap with sloped metal backstop. I used a screen with 2 layers 1/4" metal mesh. I'm not getting all that great of a yield. The sand that is trapped is a lot more than anticipated. Also the skimming with this much contamination makes for a TON of work. As I am young and can do the work and the lead is free I will keep going in this fashion. But if you have the money or other source of lead I would definitely think twice about jumping on range lead that has to be paid for.

twc1964
10-21-2015, 10:32 AM
I usually get an 80lb yeild from a 100lb bucket of indoor range scrap. The scrapyards around me rip me off on the jackets if there is one speck of lead in with em. Last batch of copper jackets netted me a whopping 8.00 for 28 lbs of jackets. Not worth my time. I just toss em.

Kraschenbirn
10-21-2015, 10:46 AM
I've never been able to develop a source for indoor scrap but have been recovering/recycling outdoor scrap for several years. Using a homemade sifter and picking out the 'big pieces' of gravel, dirt, clay bird, etc, I usually obtain 60%-70% recovery (by weight).

Bill

mjwcaster
10-22-2015, 12:41 AM
I have only done a few hundred pounds of outdoor range scrap from when our club moved the berm.
I got 80% or better yield from them.
There was a bunch of cast in their, but well less than half.

As has been said a bucket of jackets does not weigh that much.

I would love to do more, but our range has a new berm that is just not yielding much yet. Maybe in a few more years.

I still pick up what I find laying around when I get the chance, this year it yielded about 25lbs.

Nose Dive
10-22-2015, 01:41 AM
Well....mmmmm 25% wooooo....hardly worth the effort ..yea?

Now let's see... 25% of what? I do take a front end loader or two dumped in my ole PU....yea...lot's of dirt,,clay..'gumbo' here in south Texas....

25% of that my be OK...not a load I like...but... dumped in the drive way.... plenty of time.....ahhhhh... Man...25% of that is tough....but...

It seems to me however that the guy running the back hoe has a lot to say about percent 'keeps'...per cent dirt.... need to watch that....

Now...let me say, I do take two loads and work it out...and no...most is dirt...most is 'returned' to the range and spilled back above the targets....

And now... I really pass on that... as the 'guys' now...want to just build back the back stop at my effort and I an no longer really into that.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

PS {I do smelt alot of 'bad news trash']..... ND
PS:... look for the stuff from the black powder ranges...best I have found ND