PDA

View Full Version : Bought A CVA Hunter 7-08 On A Whim

TCLouis
10-20-2015, 09:02 PM
I'll be danged, I think I am gonna like the lil galBest 4 shot plinking load so far is about 5/8 - 3/4 outside for 4 shots at 50 with PROMO and BOOLITS.

Soup Cans get a bunch of rifling marks when GC is NOT down in the case a good bit. Even the RN GB BOOLIT engages the rifling and pulls the BOOLIT if I do not fire the round.

Did use that GB RN BOOLIT and 8.3 grains of PROMO to provide evidence of meplat vs RN impact.

When shot with the original RN version of the BOOLIT a 1 gallon milk jug of water is opened up and drained.

I filed just a decent meplat on another o the BOOLITS and that milk jug ripped open with authority.

I have got to find a camera good enough (and cheap enough) to catch this sort of thing on video so I can study it in slow motion.

Anyone have any idea of velocity of 8.3 Grains of PROMO, 120 grain BOLLIT, 20" BARREL

jhalcott
10-22-2015, 01:33 PM
no clue as to speed of your loads, but I have a 788 in 7-08 that does not seem to care about depth of the "soup can" gas check. I use a Loverin style 130ish grain in mine for deer. I try for at least 2000-2100 fps and sub 2" @100 yds. So far I've been lucky with it on several deer.

TCLouis
10-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Shot my standard water filled 1 gallon milk jug test yesterday.

135 grain Soup Can GB BOOLIT 2.510" OAL IIRC.
21 grains of Milsurp 4759 lit by Wolf LP primer.

Holy Mackerel was that some impact at 50 yards.
Never found the lid and jug in two pieces.

Made the 140 grain coated projectiles affect look like nothing.

Gotta catch that on video and post somewhere to share.

Of course that means I have to drag out the Chronograph too.