PDA

View Full Version : 2009 town and country brakes part 2

gsdelong
10-20-2015, 06:22 PM
I got advice earlier on my brakes ordered all the parts and have started tear down.

One of the issues I was having was that after about 15 miles of driving I had a noise from the right rear wheel that sound almost like a rubbing. Applying the brakes stopped it only while the brakes were be depressed.

I decided to order a rear wheel bearing while I was ordering parts.

Now that I have the rotor and caliper off when I spin the hub there is resistance but it still spins very smooth.

My question is do I still need to replace hub and bearing assembly.

This car does sit for long spells in between being driven and the rotors havery a pretty thick crust of rust where the pads don't actually rub.

Thanks for the input again

Greg

starnbar
10-20-2015, 06:48 PM
How many miles on it?

Tackleberry41
10-20-2015, 08:01 PM
A bearing will make noise when you load it, turning, thats your early indication one is going out. You can't generally tell one is bad just by turning it by hand unless its pretty bad.

Something rubbing, could just be a pad sticking, touch the brakes its gone. Not sure what it is about US cars, I worked on European cars for a long time, and it was really rare to have to replace a caliper, we just replaced pads and rotors. Had a brake lathe in the shop, but it was rarely used, and only for personal vehicles. When I went to a shop that worked on US cars, I was shocked how fast some of the brakes came apart in them, they ate calipers and rotors. Rotors had to be machined out of the box often.

dragonrider
10-20-2015, 08:07 PM
If you are that close to it replace it.

gsdelong
10-21-2015, 05:47 AM
If you are that close to it replace it.
It is a pretty big job, but I am leaning that way.

90000 miles