PDA

View Full Version : Mabey the wrong choice

GunnyJohn
10-20-2015, 01:17 PM
We the moving is over. My wife had back surgery yesterday, all went well. Now for recovery. Last weekend, I took some time to hunt for my cow. I took along my 45-70 thinking that I might get a shot around 100 yds. The rifle is sighted an inch high at that range. My load is 29 grains of AA5744 with a Lyman 457193 lubed and sized it weighs 422 grains WW/Pb 50/50 ac. According to the book some where around 1420 fps. I took a shot at a little over two hundred yards. I had spotted the elk at about 1/2 mile while glassing off of a high rock. After a slow stalk, I had to cross a fence. I couldn't see the elk directly but had a real good idea where they were. I crawled a 150 yards or so, and could see them still over two hundred yards out. There was nothing but grass between them and me. I stood up slowly and could see two cows. One was grazing and the other was bedded down. I gave it some thought, and thought I could make the shot offhand. Then I sat down and pondered some on wether I could find a way to get closer. There was nothing. I stood up again and out of nowhere two more had gotten up from behind some brush farther down the hillside. With only two weekends left to hunt and all things considered, I decided to take the shot. I missed. It felt like a good shot, but I had missed. The elk kinda milled around a bit. Then they started to walk down hill. I was sitting there reflecting on what just happened, and thought about all the things I shoulda, coulda, wouldas,. I decided to call it a day, and headed for home. It was a long 6 miles back to the pick up. I got back down and stopped at my shooting range. I have a clanger target that is 30 inches tall and 15 inches wide. I decided to take a couple of shots. I held center and hit the steel wheel it is mounted to. With the 5 inches of spring between the target and the wheel that's about 20 inches of drop. Obviously I need to do more shooting with that rifle at longer ranges to better learn it. But for the rest of the season Ol Slayer (my 35 whelen) will have to come out of the safe. I don't have a good cast load developed for her yet. That will come this spring. So the j-words will have to bring home the meat again this year. Well 4 more days to make meat. Can't wait for next weekend.

c1skout
10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
Those big 45 slugs drop pretty fast, huh. At least it was a clean miss. I've got mine sighted about 1.5 high at 100, but usually a 60 yard shot is a long one where I hunt. Better luck next time.

GunnyJohn
10-20-2015, 09:03 PM
I Guess so. I definitely need to do some more research (shooting) with and put together a dope card. With my aging eyes some kind of a scope may be needed. I really didn't expect it to drop that much. Live and learn. But I was lucky, a clean miss beats a really poor shot any day in my book.

Those big 45 slugs drop pretty fast, huh. At least it was a clean miss. I've got mine sighted about 1.5 high at 100, but usually a 60 yard shot is a long one where I hunt. Better luck next time.

Rufus Krile
10-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Gunny... One of my loads is a 405gr backed by 27gr of AA5744 and it chronographs 1470fps out of a 30"bbl. That's a 25/1 alloy, but with a harder mix...16/1... I get only about 1420fps. First shot usually is faster than subsequent shots by a little. Your 50/50 mix probably falls between the two alloys but closer to the 16/1. I like the 5744 for consistency but it leaves a lot of carbon fouling.

GunnyJohn
10-20-2015, 11:57 PM
Gunny... One of my loads is a 405gr backed by 27gr of AA5744 and it chronographs 1470fps out of a 30"bbl. That's a 25/1 alloy, but with a harder mix...16/1... I get only about 1420fps. First shot usually is faster than subsequent shots by a little. Your 50/50 mix probably falls between the two alloys but closer to the 16/1. I like the 5744 for consistency but it leaves a lot of carbon fouling.
My bbl is 24". With roughly 100 yd zero do you have any idea what the drop be at 200-225 yds? Or where to find out?

Lonegun1894
10-21-2015, 12:45 AM
Per this http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html , with your 422gr RN load at 1420fps, sighted in at 100yds, (and I assumed your scope heights at 1 inch over bore line), your POI should be 21.68" below your POA at 200yds and 31.29" low at 225yds, but there's several assumptions in the numbers I plugged in, so it will probably be a little off.

Sorry, I screwed up. The above is for dead on at 100 yds, not an inch high at 100yds.

triggerhappy243
10-21-2015, 02:33 AM
Sorry to hear of the miss. But you are one better than me. I cant even draw a cow tag.... 5 years in a row. And you actually got a shot. As for me, i use a cheat sheet taped to my stock at 25 yard increments. And i do alot of range time too.

Les Staley
10-21-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm shooting close to the same load, 28 gr 5744, same boolet RCBS 422 gr fp gc coww alox lubed from a 30" bbl Shilo. With the sight staff set for 200 yds, it's 7" high at the 100 yd target. With a shorter barrel you're dropping even more at that range. Sorry you're gonna have to eat beef again this winter..better luck next time.

GunnyJohn
10-21-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm shooting close to the same load, 28 gr 5744, same boolet RCBS 422 gr fp gc coww alox lubed from a 30" bbl Shilo. With the sight staff set for 200 yds, it's 7" high at the 100 yd target. With a shorter barrel you're dropping even more at that range. Sorry you're gonna have to eat beef again this winter..better luck next time.I still have till the end of the month to make up for my miss. So I'm not putting away my elk recipe book just yet. I appreciate the info on your ballistics. Have you taken elk with your 45-70?

GunnyJohn
10-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Per this http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html , with your 422gr RN load at 1420fps, sighted in at 100yds, (and I assumed your scope heights at 1 inch over bore line), your POI should be 21.68" below your POA at 200yds and 31.29" low at 225yds, but there's several assumptions in the numbers I plugged in, so it will probably be a little off.

Sorry, I screwed up. The above is for dead on at 100 yds, not an inch high at 100yds.Thanks for the info. Also thanks for the link. It looks like a good tool for future use.

Les Staley
10-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Gunny, yes, three elk in Wyoming, three or four deer and one bison on a ranch near Ekalaka Montana. I have had the Shilo 1874 Hartford model for 15 years, hunted with it for about three years when I first got it. Finally retired and have enough time to devote to my Hobbies, shooting and hunting.

GunnyJohn
10-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Gunny, yes, three elk in Wyoming, three or four deer and one bison on a ranch near Ekalaka Montana. I have had the Shilo 1874 Hartford model for 15 years, hunted with it for about three years when I first got it. Finally retired and have enough time to devote to my Hobbies, shooting and hunting.That's a really nice rifle. Glad to hear that you had good success with it. I shot a buck about 5 years ago with mine. It was right after I got it. Used a cast load, but the bullet was made by Oregon Trail Bullets. I haven't shot anything with it since I started casting my own. Work has a way of getting in the way of things we'd rather be doing. Hopefully I can become more aquainted with this rifle at different ranges, and do better next year. Thanks again for the info, and enjoy retirement.