PDA

View Full Version : Have they no pride

DCP
10-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Is It the younger generations or what is it?
The whole world wants everything free. Have they no pride.

Lets see

Free collage for all

5 year old died,(which is tragic) I don’t have insurance please send donations.
When my children were born 1st thing I did was get life Insurance.

I just became disable need a ramp built, please help and have no money. Later in other posts Looking for lead to shoot and brass boy these Cuban cigars are good anyone like Cuban cigars.

I got hit by a mentor last night. I am going to have to start a Go fund me fund, money is tight . Later in other posts Looking for 45-70 rifle and a 357 mag revolver........... boy this rib roast is fantastic

People come to join the church....... and the 1st thing they ask for is food, before the meeting is over

And it is right here in the good USA

These are just examples if it resembles a real person it is just a coincidence.

Love Life
10-20-2015, 11:28 AM
It most certainly is not just the younger generations. It is a social shift on what is acceptable, and what is now normal. Being an adult, being self sufficient, holding ones self accountable are all for suckers these days.

I see much of the same as what you are talking about.

bruce drake
10-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Surprisingly, I recently realized I'm not of the current generation as I now have adult children but I will tell you I taught them that being independent and able to take care of yourself and others you care for are the hallmark of being an adult. I've sold off entire gun collections in the past to cover my expenses. I've worked double shifts and at times two jobs to ensure the paycheck covered my bills.
Thankfully, I hope those life lessons have been passed on to my sons. Only time will tell for all of us but I'm hoping the examples above are just the odd occurrence...

GRUMPA
10-20-2015, 11:43 AM
LL hits it close to home. Young or old they act as though somehow.... they are deserving of what they desire. I've had people come into my home and almost demand the password so they can play on the internet on there device, fat chance of that happening.

When folks can't get what they want out of you they can get rather hostile about it.

Folks want the Mrs. and I to make things for them, but we offer to teach them so they can do it on there own, yeah right, like that'll happen.

All the while we do without things like spending money which we don't have. But they can go out and do all kinds of things, buy new cars etc and yet they want us to feel sorry for them?

I can sure go on a rant real quick on this subject.

The population seems more geared on "GIMME" than either working hard for something or learning how to do things for themselves.

Love Life
10-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Troof right there^^^! Try to teach a man to fish today, and you are labeled as a meany.

I believe it just may be that people no longer feel ashamed.

dtknowles
10-20-2015, 12:31 PM
I tend to think that all the grabbers and give me types are calling attention to themselves otherwise how would they get the handouts (sort of like the panhandler on the corner). The more independent or self reliant types do not get much attention because they don't need it and all the attention would just put them on the radar of the grabbers or give me types.

I still think there are as many independent and self reliant types as there are grabbers and give me types. I don't think this is much worse than in the past, I think it does get worse when the Economy is bad as there is less shame in begging when a lot of people are suffering. Of course there are always shameless people.

Tim

starmac
10-20-2015, 12:46 PM
The only reason you see more in the younger generation is more gimmees are raised every year. I am pushing 60 and there are plenty of gimmes older than I am.

Freightman
10-20-2015, 01:02 PM
I still think there are as many independent and self reliant types as there are grabbers and give me types. I don't think this is much worse than in the past, I think it does get worse when the Economy is bad as there is less shame in begging when a lot of people are suffering. Of course there are always shameless people.

Tim
We have them come by the church all the time wanting money, we do not give out money or ore-paid visa's we do give them food for a day. We have been called servants of the devil and worse. If they can't find a job in Amarillo it is because they haven't tried every business almost has a "we are hiring" sign up.

Sensai
10-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Just in the last fifty years I've seen the apparent majority opinion go from shame if you had to accept a handout, to living on charity being a normal occupation. I agree with DCP and Love Life, there doesn't seem to be a lot of pride in self reliance amongst the masses. It's not hard to tell, either. It doesn't take but a few words to tell if a person has a sense of honor and integrity or not. As dtknowles says "The more independent or self reliant types do not get much attention because they don't need it". I'm just glad that there IS a remnant honorable people left. The chaff will be blown away.

starmac
10-20-2015, 01:19 PM
I had a shop on I 40 for years, the local churches would send folks that were passing through asking for gas money or grocery money or motel money, heck even beer money. There was usually several weekly.
I always had things to do that I didn't have time for, I never turned anyone down that even remorely looked worthy, but offered them a tank of gas or whatever in turn for a few hours work, in 9 years, I never had to buy the first tank of gas, but was called names I had never heard of. lol
It is amazing how many people travel across this country every day, even with young kids in tow, that have no money at all, bumming their way through life.
When I was a kid we read about hobos, saw hobos on tv, heck they were glamorized by hollywood now that I look back on it, most kids at some point of their life had a hobo stick with a bag on the end of it throwed on their pretending to run away at some point.
In the 70's as a young man I went to work for a contractor primarily for the railroad, I was shocked to learn that hobos were not a thing of the past, probably more now than there ever was, riding the rails bumming from town to town.

hardcase54
10-20-2015, 02:14 PM
LL strikes again. You are correct, sir. There seems to be "no shame" left. Also the gimme covers all ages not just the young.

jcren
10-20-2015, 02:48 PM
And the "go fund me" ****. My wife has a friend that will do go fund me for vacation money or to buy a new outfit! And people donate! And why bother spending money on such silliness as home insurance, if anything happens it is declared a disaster and someone will help you out!

abunaitoo
10-20-2015, 04:15 PM
We have a big homeless problem here.
Maybe you've seen it on the news.
Majority of the are transplants. Want everything for free.
Stupid state gives them money and food stamps.
Others see it and join in.
Asked a lady once if she felt bad about being on welfare. She told me "It's free money for doing nothing. You stupid if you work"
Maybe she's right.

DCP
10-20-2015, 05:05 PM
When Colorado legalize pot. They then had a homeless problem. Da I could see that coming .

Then the fast food people want 15.00 an hour.

Look like the Democratic s are the party of the moocher. They have there hands out for all the free stuff

When there is was enough dems we elected the O.

dg31872
10-20-2015, 05:18 PM
If truth be told, not all are lazy or looking for a handout. I am not defending, but there are exceptions.
My wife and I are doing alright, and stay plenty busy, but we may be luckier than others.

Just saying...

shooterg
10-20-2015, 05:20 PM
The entitlement mentality is being taught to kids every day. Everybody gets a trophy for every activity, everybody is special. We may all be special but we just ain't all equal in every aspect . I know this started with Roosevelt, but Johnson's Great Society accelerated us to where we are today. IMHO we've gone from a Nation of Riflemen to a Nation of Sheep to a Nation of Leeches.

bedbugbilly
10-20-2015, 09:18 PM
I view it as our new "social curse". Yes . . . there are those that do need help. But they are actually in a minority compared to the "I'm entitled" people. This "go fund" #$%^##$ just drives me crazy. Get off your #$##% and earn it. I'm a firm believer that if a person wants to work, they will find work. This having to pay high dollars to a person "just because" when they have no training or experience is ridiculous. But it goes back even further . . my wife taught school for over 30 years. There used to be discipline. The kids had to work to achieve. Then "no child left behind" came in. Everyone was supposed to be equal. Well sorry folks, everyone is different - we all have different appituds, skills, IQs, etc. But no . . every one has to have a trophy for playing ball or whatever. Ad then . . . the "I didn't do it" generation arrived. Even when caught in school doing something wrong . . and witnessed . . . it was "I didn't do it". And the worst part is that most parents viewed the teacher as being wrong, not their kid.

I think most of the posts here kind of hit the nail on the head. And it's all age levels . . .not just the younger ones. And unfortunately . . this country now pretty much runs that way. I was brought up to work and work hard. If you didn't have the money, you didn't buy it and you didn't need it. We were taught to save for a rainy day and retirement . . . notice the last eight years you don't hear much about urging people to "save". We were taught if you were going to do a job, do it right. Be to work on time and give 110%.

We live in a time where there is a feeling of "entitlement" . . .and we all see it everyday. "The government will take care of you". Well, I can see where the politicians come up with that because they certainly feather their nests and obviously don't have to live by the laws that they create. How many Congressman are on Obama Care . . oh, wait a minute . . they ae not required to be under the same rules . . they have lifelong pensions and health care . . paid for by us. As someone pointed out a long time ago . . history repeats itself. Take a look at the Native American Reservations . . and this is not a "knock" on anybody. Their land was stolen by the government, they were lied to and cheated and the government told them that if they were "good" and move on to the Reservations, they would be taken care of by the government. Hmmm . . I have been on a number of Reservations and know a number of people who work on them . . . the only question I have is "how did that work out for you"?

I was brought up that having pride, being self reliant, hardworking, being honest and fair and truthful . . . were what made you a true man or woman . . . somewhere, we've lost those things and they aren't being taught. We have a break down in the family unit, religion and such things are dampened because of "political correctness" and many do not have the proper role models in the first place . . . in the end it's about respect for others . . . but most of all, respect for yourself.

AZ-JIM
10-20-2015, 09:44 PM
You guys pretty much nailed it. Some people are trying to get by and could use a few bucks here and there, but it sure does seem like they are far outnumbered these days. I have sibling that acts this way and it really irks me, I confronted her about it and boy am I the bad guy. We were brought up in the same house by the same parents with the same rules, but we sure don't see things the same way.

az-jim

CLAYPOOL
10-20-2015, 10:58 PM
I average getting a helper out here on the farm maybe once a month or so. Its the 16 year old or so high school boys because the older ones WILL NOT WORK AT ANY WAGE LEVEL. $ 10.00 a hour - CASH, no check off.. Most only come one time. A rare one will work 2 or 3 times with less hours of course. Then that's it. No more. I have learned to work them very easily no matter the job. I generally have Ms. M bosses as she can get them to do more as she a woman of my age. There not embarrassed either.

MaryB
10-20-2015, 11:14 PM
Hey my rib roast was $2.85/lb this year! Helps to buy 1/4 beef every year! Only thing I buy extra of are chuck roasts, I got 3 with the meat and will go through 6 or 7 a year...

Is It the younger generations or what is it?
The whole world wants everything free. Have they no pride.

Lets see

Free collage for all

5 year old died,(which is tragic) I don’t have insurance please send donations.
When my children were born 1st thing I did was get life Insurance.

I just became disable need a ramp built, please help and have no money. Later in other posts Looking for lead to shoot and brass boy these Cuban cigars are good anyone like Cuban cigars.

I got hit by a mentor last night. I am going to have to start a Go fund me fund, money is tight . Later in other posts Looking for 45-70 rifle and a 357 mag revolver........... boy this rib roast is fantastic

People come to join the church....... and the 1st thing they ask for is food, before the meeting is over

And it is right here in the good USA

These are just examples if it resembles a real person it is just a coincidence.

Frank46
10-20-2015, 11:34 PM
Within the last couple weeks have been approached by people looking for money. As I only carry less than $20 on me at any given time I usually hand out a couple bucks. Sad part about it is that you don't know if they need it or not. I'm not well to do just retired and on pension. Frank

MaryB
10-20-2015, 11:39 PM
I tried to hire one of the local kids to mow after my neck surgery. Nope, I am to busy playing my game console... that mommy or daddy paid for and gave to them. If I wanted something as a teen I went out and earned money for it! Told dad I needed a car, he said he wasn't paying for it so I said no problem. I found a $100 junker that lasted 3 years! 1969 Olds Delta 88 4 door hard top. Could easily fit 8 people on $5 carload nights at the drive in! At 12 I was running a bean weeding crew, at 16 managing a Radio Shack. And at 16 I took $10,000 I had saved and invested it with mom and dad in the next house they were flipping. We bought wrecks and stripped and rebuilt them. I was paid minimum wage to strip out plaster and lath! That $10k tripled when the house sold when I was 17 and I had my college paid for and a nest egg that I used to buy a house to remodel and sell. I was never afraid of hard work and worked on my grandparents farm starting at 5 years old(or younger!). Plus the family garden at home and the 6 family garden at the farm... we worked all the time! Played maybe 2 hours a day is it.

I average getting a helper out here on the farm maybe once a month or so. Its the 16 year old or so high school boys because the older ones WILL NOT WORK AT ANY WAGE LEVEL. $ 10.00 a hour - CASH, no check off.. Most only come one time. A rare one will work 2 or 3 times with less hours of course. Then that's it. No more. I have learned to work them very easily no matter the job. I generally have Ms. M bosses as she can get them to do more as she a woman of my age. There not embarrassed either.

NavyVet1959
10-20-2015, 11:53 PM
I grew up in a time and culture where a man would be ashamed to have to ask for help. If you were homeless, you would sell you blood plasma and eat cold cans of pork and beans.

Mumblypeg
10-21-2015, 12:52 AM
Out of nine people that live on my dead end street, four are on disability and they all walk and get around better than I do except one maybe. I don't have a problem with working for $10 an hour. I receive a retirement check that I paid into for many years and just stated getting SS. People kept telling me to apply for disability but I am just crippled not disabled... that's how I see it. I just have too much pride to take hand outs and I want to work for what I get even if it's pennies. I have heard many say that they would not work for less that such and such and many say they can't find work. I get calls all the time from people asking for someone to do manual labor such as cut grass, trim hedges or just fix things around someone's house. They say they can't find anyone that wants to work. I just want to be able to work and do as much as I can even through the pain of a bad hip and back. But... many today don't see it that way and are proud of how much they can get for nothing.... but when push comes to shove and they have nothing, they will work.... If you put up a bird feeder the birds will not look for food and will leave droppings all over... take down the bird feeder... they will find food.

Mhars
10-21-2015, 01:26 AM
I have adult children 36,34,and 32 years old. Every summer while teenagers they went to a small town in Illinois to see their grand parents "and" bail hay and detassel corn. Man did I catch hell some summers. Later 2 of them worked at a small grocery store in Oklahoma that up and closed. I had heard from coworkers at my job about kids moving back home because they couldn't find work. Both of mine had work in 10 days. not doing what they wanted but both have gone on to great careers. The kicker to this story is both my future daughter in laws worked there to and also had work in the same time. The kids have all come around to thanking us for those summers, it gave them what they needed to get through. My grand kids aren't that old but they know grandpa doesn't always give it up without something in return. Their mom and dads are that way too.

Tackleberry41
10-21-2015, 08:50 AM
There was some sort of disconnect between my grandparents generation and my parents, like someone flipped a light switch. Both my grandparents had gardens, both canned food, both would sew their own clothes at times. One grandmother had a whole room dedicated to sewing. My mom has well had 11 bro and sis, none of them had gardens, none of them know how to can anything, she had one sister who had and used a sewing machine. My cousins are even worse, at least my aunts knew how to cook. I seem to be some sort of freak because I can make stuff from a cookbook.

One of my moms brothers figured the world owed him everything he wanted. He didn't think anything of going to several churches for a handout. She let him stay in her house in exchange for fixing things. He was a bum, to good to work, but would sit and complain not enough was being done for him. Hes already getting free room and board, and didn't actually fix anything. And believed every woman wanted him, hit on everyone he saw over and over, no was not an answer he would accept. Got all mad when after nearly a year he was told it was time to go.

I know some will go blaming it on democrats, but both sides of my family are very conservative. According to some Im some sort of communist because I dare have an opinion different than theirs.

DCP
10-22-2015, 07:34 PM
And the "go fund me" ****. My wife has a friend that will do go fund me for vacation money or to buy a new outfit! And people donate!

This stuck me as how true.
People will enable this type of behavior and even encourage it.
I guess this is why some kids are still at home at 30 years old.

Hickory
10-22-2015, 07:57 PM
This generation coming up will make their living with their hands out, mostly because it's all they know. But a good many will make their living in the same wise, because king zero has reduced our economy to that of dependency and not independently.

Clay M
10-22-2015, 08:46 PM
My son has pride, but I raised him and taught him from birth.
He earned his education with scholarships ,and he is willing to work however hard to make his own life.
I am very proud of him. He is my best life's work.
The best I have to offer this world.
I am giving him my land that has been in my family for six generations.
He is worthy of it in ever respect.

Ickisrulz
10-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Responsible people also need to be taught not to give out free money and stuff just because a person has a bad story or carries a cardboard sign saying they are a Veteran and God Bless (most of these are not young people). Donations should be only given to good charities or to people you know are not scamming.

I may be a real specimen, but I wouldn't even consider donating money or materials so a "poor" person could have a shooting hobby.

Clay M
10-22-2015, 09:10 PM
I am all about helping the poor, as Christ said, but I am also careful who I help.
There are many people out there with disabilities and problems that really do need help.Many others do not.
Many organizations play violins and juggle cats just to steal your money.
I have to know the individual..

jcwit
10-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Times have changed, look how people dress today in public.

PS Paul
10-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Don't lose all hope. I run a biz in a military town and I meet lots of great young people every day who have principles and moral fiber. They give me hope for the future of our country.

NavyVet1959
10-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Don't lose all hope. I run a biz in a military town and I meet lots of great young people every day who have principles and moral fiber. They give me hope for the future of our country.

For every ONE of those, there are at least a HUNDRED who are poster children for POST-natal abortion legalization. :(

Hogtamer
10-22-2015, 09:35 PM
"The Big Rock Candy Mountain" was a song very popular during the period, written in 1928..... read these lyrics and you might see that not much has changed.....just a heap more folks.http://www.bluegrasslyrics.com/node/568

Clay M
10-22-2015, 09:36 PM
I grew up in a beautiful time..
The pinnacle of America..

I was blessed, I only wish my children had the same hope..

If I die tonight, I have been been blessed beyond the years..

Wish I could give my children and their children more.

I have preserved the hope as best I know how to do..

I have done my best.

All empires decline.. That is what empires do.

We are indeed an empire in decline.

We do what we can, as David Gilmour says ,"Rattle That Lock"

PS Paul
10-22-2015, 11:04 PM
For every ONE of those, there are at least a HUNDRED who are poster children for POST-natal abortion legalization. :(
Yeah, I know. I know. Sigh...... I am sorry to admit it's roughly HALF of America. Maybe more. Still, I guess I can just raise my kids the best I can and hope they won't be freaks for having pride and being different than most of the kids born of losers they get to go to school with. Ha ha!!

Love Life
10-23-2015, 08:50 AM
I made light of this situation earlier this year I the humor and off topic section with my "Give me money for a new gun" thread.

twc1964
10-23-2015, 10:38 AM
The ongoing ways of the current dictator in chief have emboldened the many thugs, ner-do wells, and other less than desirable types. The lawlessness has permeated our entire culture and its darn sad. Ive met the gimme types and the ages were teens thru fourty somethings in my experience. As others have stated, a cultural shift is occuring and darn sure not for the better. I hope we can bring this country back from the brink we are teetering on. Ok...my rants over for now��

Love Life
10-23-2015, 11:01 AM
It seems, whenever an avenue for freebies opens up, more people show up to ask for and accept freebies. You see it on this very forum from time to time.

Basically, I'm jaded to the whole helping and charity thing. I'd rather give my money to the fake veteran bum at Walmart to go buy a bottle of booze.

Maximumbob54
10-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Short story time.

Bought cable internet where I used to live. Setup a wifi for the house of course with password protection. Maybe two or three days later I get a note taped to the door.

"Hey, share your wifi. Leave the password in box (whatever it was) if you're cool with it"

That's about as close as I can remember the horrid English the person used. Notice how I didn't include anything like a please or thank you. It's not that I'm forgetting either one.

My other favorite "new normal" is kids that want to mow your lawn. Keep in mind I'm in one of the postage stamp sized property communities. So just the front that takes me about tem minutes to mow. The kid wants $20. Do you sweep up the clippings and pick up the sticks and stuff first? Naw, mister, that's extra. So they seem to want a twenty for not even ten minutes labor and leave a mess.

dragon813gt
10-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Why is age always brought into this debate? There are already enough issues to divide us. Age should not be one of them. Since I'm one of them younger people I tend to take this type of thing personally. It has nothing to do w/ age.

Just think back to your childhood. I'm sure your father complained about someone being a bum. There have always been deadbeats and losers. I don't think there are more of them. I just think we have access to them thanks to the internet. It makes the world look a lot smaller than it is.

Superfly
10-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Heck I don't sell my plazma but I eat a lot of cold cans of pork and beans and cold soup and chilli. And I am not that old LOL Nothing wrong with simple life but when no one else in your family wants to save money and just spend spend spend you are pretty screwed trying to get by.
I grew up in a time and culture where a man would be ashamed to have to ask for help. If you were homeless, you would sell you blood plasma and eat cold cans of pork and beans.

Maximumbob54
10-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Post 43,

My grandfather used to talk about people when he was younger that wouldn't do an honest day's work in the factory. So I agree age has little to do with it.

dragon813gt
10-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Post 43,

My grandfather used to talk about people when he was younger that wouldn't do an honest day's work in the factory. So I agree age has little to do with it.

Exactly, it's not an age thing.

As far as kids wanting to much money. I can say the same for older people as well. Anyone in the construction industry will agree w/ me. Guys want to be paid based on their age, not their worth. Someone at 35 w/ minimal or no skills is going to ask for more money just because of their age. They feel they are worth more because they are older. This is rarely the case.

The flip side is under paying the young guys. The ones that are actually worth it usually don't get paid what they should because of their age. If they stopped over paying the older guys they'd be able to bump up the younger guys pay quicker. But I don't see this happening anytime soon.

shooterg
10-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Not only do they have no pride, they're proud of it ! lol..or cry

starmac
10-24-2015, 12:58 PM
I have helped lots of folks, sometimes when I could not afford it, but that said I rarely help someone that ask for it.
As far as the guys with a cardboard sign, they get zip, think about it, thay would get a job if good people would not enable them not to.
It is common to see folks with a sign that claims they will work for food, try offering them a job sometime, and see what you get.

NavyVet1959
10-24-2015, 02:29 PM
In one area on the west side of Houston near what we call "Chinatown" (they are rebranding it "International District" these days), there is one intersection along Beltway 8 where the people with signs asking for money hang out. The next major intersection past there (by the Home Depot), the day laborers hang out. I have much more respect for those day laborers than the guys bumming money with the signs.

starmac
10-24-2015, 02:39 PM
I have more respect for the average lot lizard, than I do a bum. I got to where when they ask for a cigarette, I charge them a quarter.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-24-2015, 02:41 PM
I had a shop on I 40 for years, the local churches would send folks that were passing through asking for gas money or grocery money or motel money, heck even beer money. There was usually several weekly.
I always had things to do that I didn't have time for, I never turned anyone down that even remorely looked worthy, but offered them a tank of gas or whatever in turn for a few hours work, in 9 years, I never had to buy the first tank of gas, but was called names I had never heard of. lol
It is amazing how many people travel across this country every day, even with young kids in tow, that have no money at all, bumming their way through life.
When I was a kid we read about hobos, saw hobos on tv, heck they were glamorized by hollywood now that I look back on it, most kids at some point of their life had a hobo stick with a bag on the end of it throwed on their pretending to run away at some point.
In the 70's as a young man I went to work for a contractor primarily for the railroad, I was shocked to learn that hobos were not a thing of the past, probably more now than there ever was, riding the rails bumming from town to town.
after reading your post, I got to thinking about a 40 year old movie, I had to search a bit to find the name, "Emperor of the North"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jn-ZS7g8xs

bdicki
10-24-2015, 05:07 PM
It seems, whenever an avenue for freebies opens up, more people show up to ask for and accept freebies. You see it on this very forum from time to time.

Basically, I'm jaded to the whole helping and charity thing. I'd rather give my money to the fake veteran bum at Walmart to go buy a bottle of booze.
I agree, I'm disappointed.

starmac
10-24-2015, 05:23 PM
I once witnessed a bum try to bum a buck off another bum at a truckstop outside of Kingman Az. I about rolled in the dirt, when the bum asked him who the heck he thought he was, go hit up someone that looks like he has money. lol He wasn't about to give up any of his hard earned bum money. lol

shooter93
10-24-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't think it's primarily an age issue although at times it appears that way. I run into a HUGE number of "disabled" people of all age groups. They could easily be doing some type of gainful employment considering all the activities they enjoy while not working.

starmac
10-24-2015, 06:17 PM
It's hard to claim it's an age thing, when you look at different people standing at intersections holding cardboard signs.
It has been over 30 yearsince I have been around a genuine hobo camp, but even back then it was not an age thing, infact most were probably older.
Back 20 years or so ago, I knew a guy that got welfare checks in Ar, Nm and California. He would usually hitch hike between the three states monthly, usually took a grandkid or two along, ecause he claimed it was easier to get rides with the kids.