PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck to You Folks Up North

jcwit
10-20-2015, 09:19 AM
I won't try to tell you how to run your country, just make note how things are going!

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/10/20/son-of-late-pm-pierre-trudeau-becomes-canadas-new-leader/21251322/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D199577047 2

TORONTO (AP) — Canadian voters reclaimed their country's liberal identity sending Justin Trudeau — the son of one of the country's most dynamic politicians — to the prime minister's office and ending nearly a decade of conservative leadership under Stephen Harper.
The victory in Monday's election by Trudeau's Liberal Party was stunning. The Liberals were on a path to win at least 184 seats out of 338 - a parliamentary majority that will allow Trudeau to govern without relying on other parties. The Liberals received 39.5 percent of the overall vote compared to 32 percent for the Conservatives and 19.6 for the New Democrats.

Wis. Tom
10-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Good bye AAA rating, hello unbalanced budgets, more govt., and global warming stifling regulations. Welcome to our world.

runfiverun
10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
hey, at least they got free health care.

B.C.Jay
10-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Indeed.

I'm saying good bye to our country as we speak.
The progressive ship has sailed.

jcwit
10-20-2015, 10:32 AM

Yes, that's true. But so do I.

blackthorn
10-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Quote "Good bye AAA rating, hello unbalanced budgets, more govt., and global warming stifling regulations. Welcome to our world."
Yep---God help Canada!! I just hope you folks south of the border are not in for more of the same! As to "free health care", the way we are taxed, there aint nothing "free".

farmerjim
10-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Free health care is not worth what you pay for it.

starmac
10-20-2015, 01:54 PM
I admittingly do not know much about Eastern Canada where the major population centers are that get to determine the Canadian laws, but have spent a lot of time in Western Canada, and even in BC, once you get a few miles north of Vancouver, the people are about as conservative and down to earth as they come, I really feel for those that I have met and known throughout the western provinces.

Bent Ramrod
10-20-2015, 03:44 PM
You're right on that, Starmac. Western Canada is pretty close, attitudinally, to the Western US. One of my mentors used to opine that we ought to rotate the US/Canadian border 90 degrees at about the longitude of the Mississippi River. They could call everything east of the Mississippi "Canada" and everything west of the Mississippi "The United States." He was even willing to throw in Los Angeles and San Francisco as western territories of "Canada" to sweeten the deal. He figured those cities were beyond rehabilitation anyway.

Tenbender
10-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Free health care is not worth what you pay for it.

I use to pull trucks from the Stirling truck plant in Ontario back in 2000. The company had a local taxi service that transported the drivers from the airport to the plant. In a conversation with the taxi driver the subject turned to health care. He said that the USA was trying to set up a plan but be careful what we wished for. Then he told me about a lady in Ontario that fell on a ice slick sidewalk and broke a collar bone. The health care was so back logged it too her 6 months to see a physician to repair her collar bone ! That's why people in Canada hate the system. He also said he knew a person that sold there home to get medical attention in the USA.
Now Hillary wants us to have the same thing !

starmac
10-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Hillary??? How about Obammy and many, many others. Hillary tried and FAILED, Obammy succeeded in ruining our health care system.

dragon813gt
10-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Urban versus Rural vote. Nothing more to say than that.

jcwit
10-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Regarding health in Canada, if in fact their system is so overloaded, would it not be overloaded whether it was free or not?

Furthermore if in fact they are coming to the U.S. in droves for care how is it possible for U.S. citizens to be able to get care at the border states? Just asking.

Tenbender
10-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Regarding health in Canada, if in fact their system is so overloaded, would it not be overloaded whether it was free or not?

Furthermore if in fact they are coming to the U.S. in droves for care how is it possible for U.S. citizens to be able to get care at the border states? Just asking.

He didn't say they were coming in "droves". They were coming because of the wait time. That would be big unless you just had a hang nail. Anyway, why would he lie about it ? After all he is a Canadian citizen ? I guess if you get yours free from obama , " At this time what difference does it make ." In your eyes !!

jcwit
10-20-2015, 08:01 PM
He didn't say they were coming in "droves". They were coming because of the wait time. That would be big unless you just had a hang nail. Anyway, why would he lie about it ? After all he is a Canadian citizen ? I guess if you get yours free from obama , " At this time what difference does it make ." In your eyes !!

I get mine free because I'm a 72 year old disabled Veteran, Thank You Very Much. Very classy comment by you to say the least.

My next door neighbor has relation "sisters" that live in London, Ont. I have talked with her on length about their health care and the whole family are happy with their care. Now then I suppose they are lying? Why would they lie? After all they are Canadian Citizens.

You need to know what you talk about before you start throwing stones.

BTW, Are you a Vet?

bedbugbilly
10-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Bent Ramrod . . . the only problem it we ever rotated the border 180 degrees is the Republik of California would be still be in the United States . . . but perhaps all the liberals would sneak across the border to the east and be welcomed as illegals?

jcwit - your question about citizens getting care at the border I can easily answer . . . if you have to go to the ER, most likely it will be jammed with "illegals" there to get care . . . they commonly use it like a doctor's office. I know . . I've seen it a number of times. By law, they cannot turn them away. If they can't pay . . . oh well . . . In AZ, we had to take my mother-in-law to the ER several times - at the time, she was 89. In fact, we ended up at three different hospital ERs in Tucson over a period of time. Same story each one . . . hurry up and wait. We transported her . . . if we had called an ambulance, it still would not have made any difference. Kind of hard to tell a 89 year old woman (at the time) who is in great pain with a blocked bowel why she has to wait for hours to be looked at. After several trips, she was finally admitted and given surgery. I won't even go in to detail how poor the care was. Most aides were young . . . more important to congregate in a place they wouldn't be see to compare their tattoos than it was to take care of patients. Nusing staff - some great and some lousy. One hospital (where she ended up for surgery) contracts for the illegals. If a illegal is caught and needs medical care, they are transported there and given a private room. On top of it, a guard is in the room 24 hours a day. Guess who is paying for that? This goes on day in and day out. They know if they need medical care they can cross over and get it.

We are on my wife's retirement insurance - retired teacher in MI. The insurance used to be excellent. Not anymore thanks to the new "National Plan". We are just a couple years shy of Medi-Care. I am not in the best health so I took my SS early hoping to be able to do some things. So far . . . it's pretty much gone for medical care . . . tests that I have to have - some are six times what they were a couple years ago. Co-pays . . . ever increasing. Drug costs . . . keep rising. As far as i'm concerned . . . those of us who worked hard all of our lives are paying for those who don't want to work. Sure . . there are legitimate folks out there in need and they do need help. But I'm sick and tired of paying (in MI) for 3rd and 4th generation families who make their living on Welfare like their ancestors did. They have their Obama Phones and the kids know how to "work" the system to get tuition and aid and then drop out after they have it . . . only to repeat it the next semester. Detroit? Hmm . . . welfare recipients selling their monthly "Bridge Cards" on the black market so they can get their drugs. The state was going to require mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients . . . until they found out what the cost would be . . . .

I thank you greatly for your service and all veterans and those serving. What I don't get is why those in our military are treated as second class citizens and the young families scrape by on a military wage and often times substandard base housing . . . while those who are "entitled" are treated like they are worthy of whatever can be given to them?

I vote for who I think will do the best job . . . but when I watch the debates - both Democrat and Republican . . . all I can do is shake my head and bow it in shame. This is the best we can offer? Where are the leaders? All I see is a bunch of self serving clowns who are nothing but bottom feeders. And Congress? Regardless of what party . . . they were sent there to do a job . . not serve the big self interests who supply the with money for their campaigns and partying. We have a separation of government . . . Executive, Legislative and Judiciary . . set up by the Constitution for a reason of checks and balances . . . and yet we let they all get away with trampling on the Constitution. They pass laws like Obama Care that we all have to live with and yet they do not have to live by the same rules? Sorry folks . . . but they are "temporary help" that are supposed to work for us . . the "tax payers". Those of us who still PAY taxes and who are not "entitled".

And don't even get me started on "political correctness". Yes, things will change for our neighbors to the north . . . but unless something changes in this country, there will be no country.

Sorry for the rant . . . .

starmac
10-20-2015, 08:47 PM
The reasons the system is overloaded in places is. One if a doctor is on salary and it doesn't matter if he sees 2 patients or 200, think about how many you would shoot for.
Another thing to think about is, if it doesn't matter in the long run financially if the doctors patients live or die, are satisfied or not what kind of care are you expecting to get.
I have talked to many, many canadians that are not happy with the quality of their health care, know of many cases that have come to the uS for treatment they couldn't get there, but could here if they paid out of pocket.
This has been common knowledge much of my life. Another thing is they don't have free health care, they pay it in taxes, anybody thinking anything is free is living in a dream world.

I have to ask, why did you ask Tenbender if he was a vet??
I have seen you ask different members the same before, we pretty much respect the fact that you were a vet, but does that somehow make you better at anything than someone that isn't, disabled or not.

dragon813gt
10-20-2015, 08:51 PM
It's free to you if you don't work and don't pay taxes. Pretty much a dream scenario that's a reality.

jcwit
10-20-2015, 09:03 PM
The reasons the system is overloaded in places is. One if a doctor is on salary and it doesn't matter if he sees 2 patients or 200, think about how many you would shoot for.
Another thing to think about is, if it doesn't matter in the long run financially if the doctors patients live or die, are satisfied or not what kind of care are you expecting to get.
I have talked to many, many canadians that are not happy with the quality of their health care, know of many cases that have come to the uS for treatment they couldn't get there, but could here if they paid out of pocket.
This has been common knowledge much of my life. Another thing is they don't have free health care, they pay it in taxes, anybody thinking anything is free is living in a dream world.

I have seen you ask different members the same before, we pretty much respect the fact that you were a vet, but does that somehow make you better at anything than someone that isn't, disabled or not.

So they come here and pay out of pocket?

Why did I ask?? Because of his snarky comment, which he knew nothing about! Does that make me better than the rest? Maybe, maybe not. But it does explain why I get free "to me at least" health care, which he didn't understand as to why.

Back in my day, actually YES it does, the others ran to Canada, I didn't. Am I proud of that fact, YUP, I am.

jcwit
10-20-2015, 09:09 PM
jcwit - your question about citizens getting care at the border I can easily answer . . . if you have to go to the ER, most likely it will be jammed with "illegals" there to get care . . . they commonly use it like a doctor's office. I know . . I've seen it a number of times. By law, they cannot turn them away. If they can't pay . . . oh well . . . In AZ, we had to take my mother-in-law to the ER several times - at the time, she was 89. In fact, we ended up at three different hospital ERs in Tucson over a period of time. Same story each one . . . hurry up and wait. We transported her . . . if we had called an ambulance, it still would not have made any difference. Kind of hard to tell a 89 year old woman (at the time) who is in great pain with a blocked bowel why she has to wait for hours to be looked at. After several trips, she was finally admitted and given surgery. I won't even go in to detail how poor the care was. Most aides were young . . . more important to congregate in a place they wouldn't be see to compare their tattoos than it was to take care of patients. Nusing staff - some great and some lousy. One hospital (where she ended up for surgery) contracts for the illegals. If a illegal is caught and needs medical care, they are transported there and given a private room. On top of it, a guard is in the room 24 hours a day. Guess who is paying for that? This goes on day in and day out. They know if they need medical care they can cross over and get it.

I should have made it clear as I was referring to Canadian citizens coming across the border for health care they can't get in their own country.

starmac
10-20-2015, 09:17 PM
In my day most vets went about their business like anyone else, maybe even more quietly, as they considered themselves men that didn't have to prove anything to anybody, so to speak.
Your flaunting it reminds me of some that, pull the race card out at every chance.
You always mention being a disabled vet too, did your disability stem from your duty, or is it just something you like to throw out there?
And again, your health care was not free, because your a vet, you payed for it.
As far as it makeing you better than a draft dodger, I will have to agree, but what a heck of a goal to shoot for.

jcwit
10-20-2015, 09:50 PM
You always mention being a disabled vet too, did your disability stem from your duty, or is it just something you like to throw out there?

Duty.

Feel as you wish, makes small difference to me, and likely little difference to you also, by your attitude.

I have no need to prove anything to anyone, least of all you.

Tenbender
10-20-2015, 10:28 PM
[/QUOTE]
I got the same message in a PM. If he is a vet he earned health care. I don't mind paying for it. The deadbeats is what bothers me. Canada's health care sux's at least when I was working out of there. My last year was 2008. Then you know what happened . Obama made most workers part timers .

jcwit
10-21-2015, 01:44 AM

I got the same message in a PM. If he is a vet he earned health care. I don't mind paying for it. The deadbeats is what bothers me. Canada's health care sux's at least when I was working out of there. My last year was 2008. Then you know what happened . Obama made most workers part timers .[/QUOTE]

Accepted, thanks. Things were really bad back in the mid 60's, seldom went in public in uniform, Thank God it's different for todays servicemen. Now if we can get the VA system straightened out. Here in No. Indiana I get excellent care at the VA Hospital in Fort Wayne, Ind.

Have done some more research into the Canadian Election, looks like they really messed up, but who are we to talk.

Most certainly a Vet., stationed at the Pentagon, Hq. Company, DASA, "google it". Was injured in AIT, but still served for 8 years, got old and it all caught up with me.

Littleton Shot Maker
10-21-2015, 02:39 AM
spoke to a Canadian that told me he came here to get fixed and the Canadian Govt. picked up the tab for his visit here?? Can't be true right??
another lady I spoke to told me her husband died while waiting to seen by the heart doc . they knew he needed help but could not fit him in for over a year. "they" called her up one day to see if he was going to make the apt. she had to let them know he was dead, then she got a bill !! for setting up the Apt that never took place even after he died...

I always wonder when I hear this stuff and then hear some one say they love 'their system', maybe it's great if your not sick, old or about to die soon ....

starmac
10-21-2015, 02:51 AM
Canadians that get sick here are cared for and the Canadian government health care does pick up the tab, generally if they are on a list to see the doc in Canada, and come here it's out of pocket, unless they are sent here for some procedure not performed in Canada. That is the way I understand it at least. I have talked to several Canadians that have gotten hurt while visiting, and they all told me the same thing, that is the US hospital trys to keep them as long as possible because they bill the Canadian Govt.
By the same token, if we get sick or hurt in Canada, an emergency visit to be stabilized, used to cost 10 bucks, but I understand it has gone up to 20, the last I heard.

458mag
10-21-2015, 08:14 AM
and just how do you figure its free?

jcwit
10-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Carefully read my post #19.

firefly1957
10-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Just today i saw a news blurb that Canada was removing fighter jets from The middle east i wonder how long it will take for the liberal government to start bringing enemy combatants, oh um I mean refugees, into Canada!
Prayers for all of you up there you need them more now.

starmac
10-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Just today i saw a news blurb that Canada was removing fighter jets from The middle east i wonder how long it will take for the liberal government to start bringing enemy combatants, oh um I mean refugees, into Canada!
Prayers for all of you up there you need them more now.

It is my understanding, like us, they always have.

Geezer in NH
10-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Tories, subject mentality, not a free thought amongst them. The next England bet they take in lots of mid-east migrants. Remember they did let the terrorist into the USA for 911.

B.C.Jay
10-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Well, so far, up here in Canada, the sun still rises and sets. Beyond that, I guess we'll wait and see.

All I can say to you good folks to the south - you should be glad that obama doesn't have a son.

Silfield
10-23-2015, 06:12 AM
But Hillderbeast has a daughter!

CBJed
10-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Tories, subject mentality, not a free thought amongst them. The next England bet they take in lots of mid-east migrants. Remember they did let the terrorist into the USA for 911.
I have to say if you think there are no freedom lovin' free thinkers up here, you have not spent much time in western Canada. We likely will absorb more mid-east migrants than we should(and we don't have many extra jobs for any that will end up in the west). As far as Canada letting the 911 terrorists in to the USA, if they did come from here, we do not let people into the USA, you let people into the USA

CBJed
10-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I cant believe that was the first thing that got me to post on here, after all these years of lurking about.LOL

Tenbender
10-23-2015, 11:20 AM
I have to say if you think there are no freedom lovin' free thinkers up here, you have not spent much time in western Canada. We likely will absorb more mid-east migrants than we should(and we don't have many extra jobs for any that will end up in the west). As far as Canada letting the 911 terrorists in to the USA, if they did come from here, we do not let people into the USA, you let people into the USA

I have spent a lot of time in Canada . And your right. Once you get west of Ontario, I would like to have all the rest as my neighbor. Good people.

Reverend Al
10-23-2015, 08:59 PM
The truly scary thing about our recent election results is that now the Liberals will have free rein to unleash new, draconian firearms laws on Canadian gun owners with impunity since the opposition (now the Conservatives) no longer have enough seats to actually fight them and defeat any new bills in Parliament. Bill S-231 was introduced by an anti-gun Liberal Senator (although she denies that she is) back in June. With a Conservative majority government at the time of course it went nowhere, but now that we have a Liberal majority how long do you think it will take before they revisit this bill or others like it? Canadian gun owners are in for a VERY rough ride over the next 4 years ... :-(

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPolitics/comments/3b44z8/pc_senator_email_on_bill_s231strengthening/

farmerjim
10-24-2015, 09:28 AM
I needed surgery when I was living in Montreal. Went to surgeon, it would be 12 weeks before he could get to me. I had the surgery back in the states the next week. My Niece in Edmonton, was run over by her horse. Broke her leg in many places. Hospital was so full they put her on a gurney in a broom closet for 4 days before she saw an orthopedic surgeon. She still walks with a limp because of the delay. Wife's cousins wife had a mammogram in Toronto. They did not read it for 6 months. She had Breast cancer. It had spread, she then had to have a double mastectomy and chemo. I can go on, but just say the government can't do anything as good as the private sector.

jcwit
10-24-2015, 11:44 AM
I can go on, but just say the government can't do anything as good as the private sector.

Well as usual with blanket statements, not completely true.

I go to the VA, I've had my Dr. call me up as late as 8:00 PM in the evening just because she wanted to see how I was doing. Her nurse has called me just because she was interested. I needed minor surgery, nothing life threating at all, got in in 2 weeks to have the growth removed, and even then it was checked for cancer. The Fort Wayne VA is excellent, and anything they can't handle at once is forwarded to one of the other 3 major hospitals in Ft. Wayne.

So yes, Government can get it right, depending on who is running the local show.

Mayhap our hospitals on the South side aren't crowded because of the uninsured not getting the care they need because of cost and lack of funds.

What's the solution?? Way past my pay grade!

ole 5 hole group
10-24-2015, 12:37 PM
I've had one experience with the Canadian Health Care System. When I went to the emergency room I had to wait about 10 to 15 minutes to see the admitting clerk - upon being called and as I was sitting down she asked for the Insurance Card. I told her I was an American and had BC/BS and Medicare after which she asked what my injury was and upon telling her she advised I needed to pay $180.00. I had to either pay by cash or credit card, otherwise I needed to return to the States for care.

I waited in the emergency room for 75 minutes and people were coming in steadily, registering and waiting. When I was called I entered a hallway filled with 90% Canadian Indian who mainly looked like they got hit with a Mack Truck and were bandaged pretty good to stem the blood flow. The hallway definitely needed a cleaning maybe a week ago by the looks of it. I went into a small bay with a curtain separation - on the other side was a couple arguing with a doctor that they needed him to take care of the problem as they lived something like 150 miles away and couldn't keep running back and forth for nothing. They were pretty persistent in getting proper care now, not coming back in stages.

When I was seen, the doc nor the nurse cleaned my wound, the doc just poured a orange substance over my hand with some splashing on the floor. He did his thing and told the nurse to bandage it up - I asked if he was going to put in a couple stitches, he said no. I asked what happens if it became infected, as we were still going to be at a remote camp for a week. He said if it becomes infected to come back and he would take care of it and he abruptly turned around and left. I asked the nurse to clean up the wound area, which she did reluctantly with a little discomfort on my part. When I left, we saw several hospital patients in their gowns standing outside smoking - I just smiled and walked on thinking Canada is a whole lot more European in their thinking.

Medicare reimbursed my Canadian health care expenses to the penny.

I know several Canadians come down to our hospitals/clinics for "rapid" care and pay out of pocket. I also knew several Canadians who advised me their health care was alright and they took maximum benefit from it when they caught a cold. They said they left work in the morning and never returned that day. The doctored wanted to see them once a week for two weeks - meaning they got two days off work seeing the doc for a cold.

Myself, I don't much care for the Canadian health system in the boonies - maybe Toronto or Montreal might have a better system but Thunder Bay is lacking just a tish.

The Canadians I worked with really disliked Pierre Trudeau and when we elected osama and they saw what he was up to they laughed and said we would be worse off than they were in short order. Well, we caught up but now they will pull ahead at break-neck speed for several years unless we elect another clington. It just might be interesting to see what happens to North America over the next 10 years.

farmerjim
10-24-2015, 01:01 PM
"Well as usual with blanket statements, not completely true."

Yes there are always exceptions to blanket statements, but on the whole I believe this one is mostly true.
You have a good VA and a good doctor. They sound better than most anywhere.

jcwit
10-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Yes, I am very fortunate. As are the hundreds of Vets here in No. Indiana. At least in my experience.