PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy

Bzcraig
10-20-2015, 01:24 AM
As a going away present my boss is buying me a Henry Rifle. I'm going with a brass receiver big boy but I'm torn between 44mag or 45LC. Which would you choose AND why. Thanks

Hannibal
10-20-2015, 02:40 AM
44 Mag 'cause I already have a pistol, brass, dies, powder, experience.

thegatman
10-20-2015, 03:02 AM
Love 45 LC for same reasons as Hannibal. Stick with what you know.

georgerkahn
10-20-2015, 07:28 AM
I bought/have the Henry in .44 Rem Mag, and love it! My only -- how do I say this? -- "unhappiness" is not the word -- but, perhaps, "thing I don't adore?" is its weight. A great range firearm, but its weight of almost nine pounds gets weary; on the other hand is that old adage, "the heavier the gun, the lighter the (felt) recoil".
For what its worth, there's a pretty comprehensive review you may wish to read, assuming you already have not, at:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/chris-dumm/gun-review-henry-big-boy-44-magnum/

My, albeit small, experience with (new) Henry firearms suggests either will be a great addition to your safe!

Good luck, and BEST!
geo

CastingFool
10-20-2015, 08:14 AM
I just got a Henry Big Boy Steel chambered in 45LC, because I already reload and cast for the 45LC. I can and have reloaded 44 mag, but I don't cast for it. Another reason I chose the steel receiver is that it is lighter than the brass receiver, and since I plan to use the rifle for hunting, I simply didn't want the flash of shiny brass. Another feature is that the BBS comes with sling attachment points, and the receiver is d&t for a scope mount. Henry sells the mount for $28, but wants $10 s&h. I do find the rear sight kind of chintzy but, when I shot it offhand at 15 yds, I was amazed how well it shot, considering that the sights were very fuzzy. All 10 rounds would have been killing shots at that distance. I chose 15 yds, because I wanted to ensure I was going to hit paper.

tazman
10-20-2015, 09:29 AM
I got to handle and shoot the Big Boy in 45LC that my neighbor owned. I was one of the smoothest lever action rifles I have ever handled. He put a scope on it and it would shoot cloverleaf groups to 100 yards. The bore in this one was super smooth and did not lead no matter what we ran through it. Excellent rifle.

Bzcraig
10-21-2015, 11:27 PM
I know there are more opinions around this place!

Mauser48
10-22-2015, 12:37 AM
44 mag. Easier to get brass for and you can shoot specials if you want. I think 45 colt is better in a more traditional levergun like a winchester 92. Either caliber you choose will be tons of fun and serve you well. Or make your boss buy you both so you can go "shoot them together!"

10-22-2015, 08:39 AM
.44 mag for it's power range. Load 'em mild to wild depending on what you intend to shoot. Components are everywhere, and the mag is a proven winner. (So, too, the .45LC) The rim on the .44 mag is bigger and I only suspect that extraction when dirty would be more positive. I've got two Henrys and they both are fantastic - .22's. Would love to have a .44 Henry rifle.

lightload
10-24-2015, 04:14 PM
About a month ago I bought a blue steel Big Boy in .44 mag. I can only say good things to say about my rifle. I installed a Skinner Express(peep)sight on the receiver using its scope mount holes. My senior eyes could not accommodate the factory buck horn sight. Now I can hit it if I can see it. The blue steel version is lighter and a few dollars less expensive than the brass version. If you buy the .45 Colt rifle, you will love it, but the same statement applies to the .44 mag Henry. I selected the .44 because I have a .44 handgun and several molds for this caliber. The Henry in either caliber is a 100 yard rifle for hunting.

FergusonTO35
10-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Bzcraig, I'm glad to hear there are a few good people left out there.