PDA

View Full Version : Dug Up Guns Museum, Cody, Wyoming

TXGunNut
10-19-2015, 11:53 PM
A member here has a contact at the Dug Up Guns Museum in Cody, Wyoming. I'll be in the area in the next few weeks doing some informal research at the Cody Museum. If that was you I'd be happy to buy you a drink at the Irma Hotel Bar.
Pls PM.

runfiverun
10-20-2015, 10:16 AM
for sure go through it.
it's fairly small and only run on donations, but just looking at the stuff really brings out the old west and the 'if only that thing could talk' memories.

shtur
10-20-2015, 12:24 PM
The guns are rusted, broken, and very few are complete, and not really identifiable.

starmac
10-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Gunnut, different subject kind of, but have you ever been through the Texas rangers hall of fame?? It will make a lover of old guns drool for days.

TXGunNut
10-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Gunnut, different subject kind of, but have you ever been through the Texas rangers hall of fame?? It will make a lover of old guns drool for days.

Yes, very good museum. More than just guns, the stories behind them as well. Was impressed by the Bob Doherty exhibit, was discussing that incident with a friend (ex-DPS narcotics) just a few weeks ago. During my LE career I heard several versions of the events of that night, the narrative at the museum is accurate as far as I know but it was good to get some details from someone who was there.I liked the equipment exhibit where they talked about the days when Rangers were issued horses, cars and trailers.

TXGunNut
10-20-2015, 07:38 PM
for sure go through it.
it's fairly small and only run on donations, but just looking at the stuff really brings out the old west and the 'if only that thing could talk' memories.

I'll let ya'll in on a little secret; I'm looking at the museum from a window of the Irma suite of the Irma Hotel. Spent the day at the Cody Museum, should have time to stop in tomorrow and look around.

runfiverun
10-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Dang, I was just through Cody a few day's ago, I was down the street [to your west] at the Americas best Inn.

side note: Bill Cody is buried outside Denver, just west of Denver actually on I-70.

TXGunNut
10-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Dang, I was just through Cody a few day's ago, I was down the street [to your west] at the Americas best Inn.

side note: Bill Cody is buried outside Denver, just west of Denver actually on I-70.

Guess we could have planned that a little better. Headed out to Little Bighorn Nat'l Monument bright & early tomorrow morning. I like this little town but I think I've seen what I came to see, with the exception of the JMB exhibit at the Cody Museum.

runfiverun
10-21-2015, 10:32 PM
you'll be close to Mt. Rushmore and the devils tower over there.

Don't be disappointed by the monument, take in account the wildness of the area at the time, and try to see the other forts in the area.
ohh,,, food is not cheap over there.

TXGunNut
10-21-2015, 11:32 PM
you'll be close to Mt. Rushmore and the devils tower over there.

Don't be disappointed by the monument, take in account the wildness of the area at the time, and try to see the other forts in the area.
ohh,,, food is not cheap over there.

I've seen Mt Rushmore, it's impressive but not worth a second trip IMHO. After a few hours tomorrow contemplating Custer's demise and Crazy Horse's command brilliance I'll head south for awhile. Been re-reading Ambrose's Crazy Horse and Custer after dinner on this trip, just finished it a little while ago.
An easy day's drive across the beautiful states of Wyoming and Colorado Friday will then take me to Whittington Center in Raton for another day of shooting. Still have almost three cases of shotgun shells and a shooting bag generously supplied with rimfire and centerfire cartridges, no sense in allowing them to weigh me down for the final leg of this journey, lol.
Can't recall many cheap meals on this trip but the famous prime rib @ Irma's tonight was worth every penny.

35 shooter
10-21-2015, 11:48 PM
Glad to hear your having a good trip. I especially liked the sound of that prime rib dinner!

Clay M
10-22-2015, 07:28 PM
I'll let ya'll in on a little secret; I'm looking at the museum from a window of the Irma suite of the Irma Hotel. Spent the day at the Cody Museum, should have time to stop in tomorrow and look around.

Eat a slice of that prime rib for me my friend..

Cody is one of my favorite places on earth.

My old shooting buddy's Hi Wall is hanging in the museum..

We shot together for many years, and he died of lung cancer in 2005.
He was my best friend..
Now I shoot alone.

TXGunNut
10-22-2015, 09:21 PM
Eat a slice of that prime rib for me my friend..

Cody is one of my favorite places on earth.

My old shooting buddy's Hi Wall is hanging in the museum..

We shot together for many years, and he died of lung cancer in 2005.
He was my best friend..
Now I shoot alone.

Sorry to hear about your shooting buddy, saw a few high-walls. My shooting buddy had back surgery recently so he had to pass on thois trip. And yes, I had the prime rib last night, pretty sure the steak in my omelet this morning was prime rib as well.

Clay M
10-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Thanks,

Hopefully you have time to make the drive up to Yellowstone Park..
Roosevelt said that is the prettiest drive in the lower 48.
I have to agree.
Sept -Oct is a great time to visit Yellowstone. You have the park more to yourself, but some of the high passes may already be closed..

Beerd
10-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Beartooth Highway is closed, Chief Joseph Pass is open.
But I'm afraid TXGunNut has already left the building and is in Colorado by now.

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2015, 07:38 AM
haven't been back there in a few years. the bad back kind of puts the kibosh on long trips. Sure would like to get back out there some day.

TXGunNut
10-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Beartooth Highway is closed, Chief Joseph Pass is open.
But I'm afraid TXGunNut has already left the building and is in Colorado by now.

Yep, blazed a high-speed (for me) trail thru parts of Montana, across Wyoming and Colorado and a bit of New Mexico Friday. Not much interested in Jelllystone, what I saw of Wyoming was simply overwhelming. Colors were awesome, scenery mindboggling, weather was great and there weren't a lot of folks to get in my way. Took lots of pics but quite honestly a camera is challenged to do this scenery justice.
I was talking to a couple I met in Raton, they helped me realize I have a few years to figure out how to retire to Wyoming. Maybe I could find a job up there and make the move sooner.

reloader28
10-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Shoot, I should have turned on my computer sooner. Been busy with Fall stuff.
I live about 40 miles from Cody.

TXGunNut
10-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Shoot, I should have turned on my computer sooner. Been busy with Fall stuff.
I live about 40 miles from Cody.

Sorry, I was keeping a bit of a low profile. Silly question; do you still notice the beautiful scenery around you? Judging by your avatar I'd say you do.

reloader28
10-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Thats a picture of where we go camping sometimes. It should be pretty white there right now after the last couple days.
After growing up here from the age of 5, I dont imagine that I notice the scenery as much as someone from Texas would. Its just home.

I was in Dallas once and no offense, but after growing up here in the sticks, there is NO way I could live there. I rarely even go to Cody.
If you get up this way again, let me know.

TXGunNut
10-27-2015, 10:10 PM
I am sometimes obliged to go to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and even Austin now and then. Very unpleasant. Even Denton, the town I grew up in, is too big for me these days. There's a real estate office just across from the Irma Hotel, came pretty close to dropping in to look around.
I'll hopefully make it to your neck of the woods again soon, reloader28. One of these days I may just pack up my kit and go up there to stay.