PDA

View Full Version : Handi in 22 Hornet

shoot-n-lead
10-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Been wanting one of these for a while, now. Was over on GB the other night and found this one...just what I wanted...compact version. And, y'all don't laugh at the scope as it is staying on the rifle...my old eyes need all of the help they can get setting scopes at 100yds (when trying to get really small groups) and shooting small things like this rifle will be used for. So, I had the Nikon 4.5-14x40mm waiting for the rifle to arrive...might be overkill, but it certainly works.

Anyone have one of these? Anyone willing to throw some loads (cast and jacketed) out for me to try.

Thanks and I am looking forward to delving into this little rifle...and I fully expect this to be a real learning experience.

(wife made me protect her table linen from the "OILY" rifle)

prsman23
10-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Haha. Mine does the same darn thing!

sparky45
10-19-2015, 11:26 PM
I've got one of those, except with a SS barrel. Shoots better than I can and is a fun gun to use. Right now I load a cast bullet that's 60 grain and a 35 grain V-Max. I use Lil'Gun (12gr) @ 1.725 OAL with the V-Max; and 2.5 gr Unique with the cast @ 1.65 OAL. The cast is my replacement for .22 plinkin'. These are my loads and work well for me. You should work up loads that work well for you and your gun. I've got a bunch of Sierra 45gr soft points (#1210) that I'm going to work up this week.

Tackleberry41
10-20-2015, 09:44 AM
Its a handi little rifle. But the older type factory scope rail sucks, not sure what they were thinking when they made it. Only has 2 slots, and the spacing doesn't seem to work with very many scopes, at least with a proper eye relief and have some room for adjustment. The newer ones come with a full length picitinny style rail. I know part of the issue is its an old design, for iron sights, scopes were just added on later. I like mine to sit back further and lower. So requires an aftermarket rail, and usually a hammer spur, with a bit of hammer ground off to clear the scope. The unkle mikes single side spur is not very good. If you grind a little bit for clearance, it weakens them and will bend, won't stay on. Switched to a different brand, double sided, they can be modified.

shoot-n-lead
10-20-2015, 09:38 PM
It will take me a little while to get this one sorted out as deer season came in on the 17th and I will be concentrating on that for a little while. But, I am really looking forward to getting a couple of loads that shoot well. I am not looking for one hole groups at 200yds...just loads that will hit the things that I will shoot with it...varmints and a hog in the ear at 50yds.