PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! First deer with a boolit

c1skout
10-19-2015, 09:35 PM
I was using a 200gn .451 Lee rnfp in a sabot over 70gn of 777. NEF Huntsman muzzleloader. She was heading almost straight towards me and I hit her through the left side of her lower neck where it meets the shoulder, boolit would have been headed towards the right side ham. No exit wound and she piled up about 60 yards away. I told the butcher to save me the boolit if he finds it. I'm pretty happy!

Powder Burn
10-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Good job. Nothing like casting your own and taking game with it.

Indiana shooter
10-20-2015, 12:50 AM
Congrats!!! I just killed my first with a boolit during KYs muzzle loader season Saturday morning. Mine was a doe that field dressed at around 135, she was around 145 yards and DRT. My boolit was a Ranch Dog designed 255 gr cup point (NOE mold). I do push it hard so I decided on a bit harder alloy of 1 in 20 mix with some copper in it.

Honestly, I'd have much rather used the FN boolit but couldn't get the accuracy with my limited time testing loads. I spent WAAAY to much time doing red neck ballistic test to find the alloy that I felt confident with and left myself with only a couple of range trips to settle on a load.

Please post a pic of your boolit (if/when you get it back) along with your alloy.

missionary5155
10-20-2015, 03:19 AM
Good morning
Congratulations on that 1st Castboolit deer ! It is very satisfying realizing your home made product can and will take care of your hunting needs.

If you have not already started I highly recommend you start a hunting /casting journal. Write down every detail. Boolit, mold, mix, load, weapon, details of hunt, times.... every thing. After 50 years too many facts will get all mixed together in the brain but your journal will help keep it all straight. Started mine 20 years ago and discovered how "run together" my first 30 years of hunting was.
Mike in Peru

white eagle
10-20-2015, 07:03 AM
First off congrats on first deer with cast
quite and accomplishment for sure you should be proud
I agree with the hunting log
I started one in 1985 and have referenced it often

GunnyJohn
10-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Congrats. Nothing better than making meat the way you got her done. Enjoy each tasty bite.

OnHoPr
10-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Bravo, great shot. Them CBs work pretty good in the ole front stuffer don't they.

10-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Well done. Game, ethically taken, after the planning and preparation required from casting your own is special. Something the once-a-year Wal-Mart shooters won't fully get.

c1skout
10-23-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the comments and ideas guys. I got my deer back today so here's some pics of my boolit. The butcher said it hit the floor when he skinned the deer.

This was cast from my range scrap stash so I don't know the alloy or hardness... other than to say I can scratch it with my fingernail. The mold calls it 200gn but they run from 206-208 on my scale. My recovered boolit weighs 199gn. and measures .706 at the widest point.

I'm definitely happy with the performance!

Blammer
10-23-2015, 08:04 PM
I'd say, forget the alloy, just use it!

Looks really good here!

Indiana shooter
10-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Looks good to me!! Now that you know how THAT batch of mystery alloy preforms I would save it for future use as a "hunting alloy" for your ML. I have tested several batches of range lead and found little consistency from batch to batch. Most tend to be to brittle for hunting. (with my velocity)

I have, however, found some batches that seemed to be a perfect balance but shot it up assuming it was all the same. That was when I first started casting and thought the lead inside j-words was all the same and all "hard cast" boolits were lino. (Man, how much I have learned in the last year, a big thanks to all on this forum.)

4719dave
10-23-2015, 11:40 PM
congrats ...

swheeler
10-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Congratulations! Looks like the range scrap was just right at impact velocity, deadliest mushroom in the woods style, perfect.

Hickok
10-24-2015, 05:52 PM
That head-on chest shot is tough angle. Your boolit did a good job!