PDA

View Full Version : Push thru sizer

HoytFlinger
10-19-2015, 09:04 PM
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone make a push thru sizer in half sizes? I need one in .4515. Sorry for my first post being a question, but I searched on here and couldn't find an answer.

mgread
10-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Try pm Lathesmith

country gent
10-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Put up a post in swaping and selling or want to buy for a .450-.451 lee sizer state you will accept undersized ones even. then with very fine sand paper and a dowel open it up. .0005 with 600 -800 grit sand paper wont take long so work carefully.

jcren
10-20-2015, 12:00 AM
If you don't care to lap one (easier than you would think) Lathesmith as mentioned will make any non standard size your heart could desire.

HoytFlinger
10-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks fellas. I sent him and Buckshot a PM. I've never tried to lap one myself.

runfiverun
10-20-2015, 10:40 AM
magma engineering will make sizer dies in any size you want even half sizes but only for the star lube/sizers.
if you get one from lathesmith, get some of his lock-rings and a sizing stem too.

HoytFlinger
10-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Lathesmith is only making them for Star. I haven't heard anything from Buckshot. Looks like I'll just have to get a Lee and hone it out. I'd rather pay someone to do that as I am afraid I would screw it up and take away too much.

Jedman
10-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Getting a bullet sized to within .0005 with a push through die is like splitting hairs. You can try but there is spring back differences with different alloys and most guns don't need a half a thousand tolerance .

Jedman

HoytFlinger
10-20-2015, 07:01 PM
I shoot pure lead. There is negligible if any springback. My current bullets are sized to .4515, but i do not have that die. That half makes a difference in a White muzzleloader.

country gent
10-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Heres the procedure for polishing out a sizing die like the lee. For the wanted .4515 a piece of 7/16" wood dowel or aluminum rod will work well. Cut 6" long and a split in one end deburr and break edges ( other wise side of split may cut paper. You can tape papers edge to dowel also. Size a few bullets to get actual size of die. I for .001-.0005 start with 800 grit paper. cut a piece 4" wide and just long enough to wrap to a snug fit in die. For small amounts I would turn by hand. WHat you want to see when polishing is a figure 8 pattern in the die with the polish lines crossing over each other. Turn and push or pull at the same time, never coming completlyoff the paper. make 3-5 passes and size a couple more bullets to see where you are and work like this slow and checking often. A lapp could be purchased or made but for one sizer its cost prohibitive, same with an adjustable reamer. Use a light oil on the wet dry paper also. Its not hard to do just requires checking and patience.

HoytFlinger
10-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I may give that a try. I found a .4515 reamer too. $30 bucks.

runfiverun
10-21-2015, 11:38 AM
that 4515 reamer may cut up to 453 depending on your equipment.
the lee sizers are soft and .001 only takes a minute rolling the die up and down your leg while holding the sand paper lap steady, it won't take much.
you can also chuck some 2,000 grit wet-dry finish paper on that same stick and use a drill to hone the half thou out in no time flat.
use plenty of oil [or toothpaste it's water washable and a good final polish] and just bump the motor over and move the die up and down.

country gent
10-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Depending on materil tool, geometry ( how its sharpened and what its sharpened for), and rigidity and accuracy of the set up a reamer can cut over or undersize easily. Reaming isnt always as accurate as thought. Burnishing is more accurate but also a more expensive tool. ( A burnished as 3 rollers that smooth press small amounts of metal back into the surface) Lapping or polishing can be very accurate depending on the person doing it. Honeing is also an option but again the tooling can get expensive for small bores. The dowel and sandpaper is the accepted method. Finish is dependant on grit size. A cleaning patch with fine diamond, simichrome or flitz ( toothpaste as mentioned above) metal polish work slow will make a mirror fimish. Work with slow rpms and high feed rates so the polish lines cross over each other, this gives the best most durable finish and helps keep the bore accurate. Very light oil mineral spirits or even water ( a little dish soap can be added also) keeps the paper cutting cool and clean, allows the grit to break down evenly. .0005 is very little metal removal so go slow and check often.

swheeler
10-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Shoot Buckshot a pm, he daman to do it

HoytFlinger
10-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Thanks all. Good info. Buckshot said he only does thousandths.

DocSavage
10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
I ran a honing machine in a former life and trust me removing .0005 of an inch without going over is very difficult. I would use the finest abrasive I could find and use the split rod method and go exceedingly slow. In Cass your interested I worked on parts for jet fuel systems for F 16s had to hold .0003 straight and round.

DocSavage
10-22-2015, 10:21 AM
I ran a honing machine in a former life and trust me removing .0005 of an inch without going over is very difficult. I would use the finest abrasive I could find and use the split rod method and go exceedingly slow. In case your interested I worked on parts for jet fuel systems for F 16s had to hold .0003 straight and round.

MT Chambers
10-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Yup, ditch the reamer, use very fine sandpaper for that small diff.

rbuck351
10-27-2015, 09:46 AM
You can put Flitz on a boolit and push it through your sizer die. Doing that with a few boolits should open it up. It will not take many so check after each one.

Dragonheart
11-01-2015, 07:28 PM
If you have access to a lathe I would just buy some diamond paste off Ebay and rub it on a wooden dowel. Chuck up the die and then polish it out with the coated dowel. You can polish out .0005 pretty quick and leave a mirror bright surface, so you will have to polish, try, polish because that is a very small difference.

beagle
11-01-2015, 09:49 PM
You have a PM./beagle