PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a new/used rifle.

tazman
10-19-2015, 07:54 PM
When I was looking through my ammo stash, I found 600 rounds of 223 that I loaded years ago to be match grade complete with match grade hollow point bullets. They were stored in a sealed ammo can that was in a cool place and so should be just fine.
I haven't purchased a centerfire rifle in 20 years. I really don't know what is out there now and what is good or bad.
What would be a good(not great) quality, accurate rifle that I could get to shoot them on the cheap? I would prefer a bolt gun or single shot.
I say good quality because I may want to keep it if it works really well. If not, I will sell it when I run the ammo out.
I say not great quality because I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I don't have a lot of use for centerfire rifle cartridges and what use I have is well covered by my 30-06.
If it shoots really well I might try loading cast in it just for grins.
Thanks for your input.

GabbyM
10-19-2015, 08:48 PM
http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-hunter

Tika makes a nice rifle. It's the economy branch of Sako.
I linked the wood stock model but you can save a few dimes with a plastic stock. My AR-15's give me about all the black stocked rifles I can tolerate so I like the wood. You can always paint a plastic stock to tone it down however.

When you scroll down on the linked page you'll see Tika builds a 223 on there short action. Then they have a medium and long. You definitely want the 1:12" twist model to shoot cast bullets. They make 12" and 8" twist. twelve twist will also be the best shooter for 52 or 53 grain match bullets.

My last 22 CF was the CZ 527 LUX you see in my avatar. I seriously like the rifle. Especially the 222 Rem caliber and it's 14 twist. However its not low price and it's also a claw extractor of Mauser style so isn't for everyone.

GhostHawk
10-19-2015, 08:58 PM
There are still H&R Handi rifles for sale in the 200-250$ range. With decent glass these tend to be good shooters. They are no longer being made but you can still find old stock NIB for reasonable price.

I also hear a lot of favorable talk about CVA single shot rifles and CZ-USA.

Lever-man
10-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Just bought a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 carbine and I love it! they also make it in 223, I like it so much that I'm thinking of getting one in 223 to match. They have nice wood and the action is first class not to mention that they are accurate.

jsizemore
10-19-2015, 09:22 PM
I bought a 12 twist 700 ADL after a lot of looking for a good price. With a bit of work it shoots great. I have since shot a couple economy Savages that shot great even with the factory triggers. Next economy gun I buy will be a Savage.

kycrawler
10-19-2015, 09:52 PM
weatherby vanguard s2 compact they are a very handy smaller rifle sized between a youth and fullsize rifle . convienent packing around rifle for coyotes and my wife uses it for deer they are 1-9 twist and mine shoots 62 and 64 grain jacketed into 1 ragged hole

Gofaaast
10-19-2015, 10:15 PM
My thoughts on value based bolt actions.
1. Savage they shoot out of the box and the accutrigger is hard to beat.
2. Howa good shooters value priced.
3. Remington that is old enough to not have a lawerized trigger, or plan to spend another 100 if you want a great trigger.

Mica_Hiebert
10-19-2015, 11:59 PM
ruger american has my vote

fryboy
10-20-2015, 12:18 AM
howa is a nice rifle at a fair price , so nice that weatherby buys some and puts their name on it ( as did s&w and mossberg ) sort of like a modern mauser only better
the h&r is a good idea sadly they're going the way of the dodo bird so getting an accesory barrel later down the road may be somewhat of a challenge
having said all that , and even tho i love the contenders ...an encore would be about ideal and you could get an accessory barrel in your beloved -06 , a word of caution however ...both contenders and encores seem to breed like rabbits once in captivity :P

Lever-man
10-20-2015, 12:19 AM
I had a Ruger American & didn't like it at all, but that's what makes the world go round.

Mk42gunner
10-20-2015, 12:24 AM
I have zero knowledge of the Savage Axis models, but the old 110 or 10 series rifles were astonishingly accurate for the price. After that I would go for one of the CZ 527's, then a Remington.

I've had bad luck with any of the H&R rifles or shotguns with the transfer bar.

Robert

Bzcraig
10-20-2015, 12:37 AM
ruger american has my vote

Good rifle for the money. I have one in 308 & ranch compact in 223, would buy them both again.

Motor
10-20-2015, 12:56 AM
See if you can find a Remington M700 VTR used. It's the wild looking one with triangle barrel and synthetic stock.

These rifles were real tack drivers and if you pick one up used for a decent price you just may have a keeper.

Motor

Jack Stanley
10-20-2015, 08:17 AM
I agree with the Savage 110 idea I have one and it does better than the Axis out of the box .

Jack

PB234
10-20-2015, 03:45 PM
If you go with a CZ they are out there in 1 in 9 and 1 in 12 twist.

pietro
10-20-2015, 04:26 PM

Since almost every decent-sized funshop I visit usually has at least one or two used rifles in .223 for sale, I would suggest doing some shopping, so you can coonfinger whatever floats your boat.

tazman
10-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions people. I guess it's time to do some searching in person at the local gun shops and see what I can come up with.

Three44s
10-24-2015, 12:27 AM
For me, the CZ 527 is a top choice. An older Remington with the old school trigger is great as well.

I am big on Savage bolt guns (have not done the Axis yet however) ....... and in particular, their flexibility as to cartridge changes and other goodies, brand name and aftermarket.

My current drag around the ranch rifle is a Ruger American compact and unlike several I have heard go back to Ruger land .... my rifle feeds flawlessly from both supplied magazines.

I have a pistol and rifle barrel in .223 in the Contender line as well. My carbine has not shot up to my expectations worth beans yet. The pistol ...... I have not shot enough to make a firm comparision but it seems like it was promising.

You should note that with single shot break open guns of about any flavor, you take a chance on a less than firm lock up affecting accuracy.

Bolt guns in my opinion are safer bets in that regard.

Best regards

Three 44s

richhodg66
10-24-2015, 08:59 AM
About 28 years ago, I bought a Savage 110 that was being sold cheap in a local shop because they were moving. Plain and ugly, but I learned a lot about handloading with it and just about anything I handload and shoot through it will be dime sized groups at 100 yards. I still have it, trigger's not the best, and big and homely for what it is, but it's a shooter.

Couple years ago, I got a wild hair and bought a Mossberg MVP Predator (short, fluted barrel and uses AR magazines) I really liked the concept of this rifle, but it hasn't shot like that old Savage yet and has kind of gotten back burnered. It is a neat little rifle though and when I work with it more I think it'll shine.

FergusonTO35
10-26-2015, 09:01 AM
I have a Howa 1500 rebarreled to .257 Roberts. It is really an excellent rifle, I would say that quality wise it is up there with the better Remington 700's and Winchester 70's. You are not likely to find the Howa on the shelf of any store though. For the money I would go with the Savage Axis. Around here the basic Axis sells for $300.00 or even less. You should have no trouble getting your money back out of it if you don't want to keep it.

TCLouis
10-27-2015, 09:26 PM
The base model Savage models ought to meet your needs, or the CVA Hunter Combo in 223.