PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION!!! American Eagle 300Blackout suppressor ammo BEWARE!!!!!!

lksmith
10-19-2015, 02:34 PM
220gr OTM subsonic lot#V54G111

I bought a box of the above ammo 3wks ago for my AR since I haven’t had time to work up a load

To hunt with. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

First shot exited and hit the target and it was loud even with suppressor, second shot was fired also loud,

but thought I heard something hit the brush behind the target.

Third Shot KABOOM! Sounded abnormally loud but no additional recoil.

Looked at the gun and right at the end of the barrel right before the threads the barrel was split and had to use vicegrips to

Get the suppressor off since I couldn’t get it off with the suppressor wrench.

After I got over my disbelief, and inspected the suppressor, luckily no visible damage (surprisingly) I promptly contacted Federal via the website that night telling

them what happened and that I wanted a new barrel due to their ammo ruining it

No luck, Contacted them via the website again and was told to call. Called them once again stated my case, offered them pictures, lot numbers, offered to send the

Barrel along with the offending box of ammo again nothing.

Was trying to give them ample time to respond and relay how they took care of me, but have heard nothing and with gun season coming up over most of the country

wanted to warn others in hopes of sparing them the same fate

Artful
10-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the warning - you might want to post on

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

9w1911
10-19-2015, 03:33 PM
contact the BBB and file a claim
dont call them back
file the claim and you will hear from them

lksmith
10-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the warning - you might want to post on

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

Trying to register to post, but I see you already posted there

lksmith
10-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Want to add that I was sighting it in, not rapid firing. I hated to think what would've happened had I been doing drills, competition or on a heard of pigs. Because aside from the sound, nothing seemed out of the ordinary from behind the scope

Tackleberry41
10-19-2015, 05:07 PM
I do not remember what brand of ammo it was off the top of my head, but factory stuff off a shelf, 300BO. Friend of mine built one recently. He had ammo issues to, blown out primers. It was sold as subsonic, but was not very quiet. Told him maybe not shoot anymore of it, no it would be fine. Well after he dug the primer out of the trigger mechanism to fire some more. Had some reloads a friend gave him, blowing out primers to. He kept shooting it for the brass.

Maybe its just that 300BO is so close to the edge in order to work.

shooter93
10-19-2015, 06:44 PM
What type of gun was it and are you saying they were over loaded or one didn't exit the barrel and then the next shot hit the lodged bullet?

lksmith
10-19-2015, 06:54 PM
What type of gun was it and are you saying they were over loaded or one didn't exit the barrel and then the next shot hit the lodged bullet?

Ar15. Thinking one of the rounds was under loaded and didn't exit but was enough to eject.

M-Tecs
10-19-2015, 07:10 PM
You have three fired cases from that lot. What do they look like. Any pressure signs on the cases?

lksmith
10-19-2015, 07:19 PM
No pressure signs. I haven't disassembled the other 17 yet on the outside chance they actually respond and want them

bnelson06
10-19-2015, 07:43 PM
I would put money on a bullet not exiting. If one gets lodged after the gas port it will eject and be very loud as all the gas exits the ejection port.

M-Tecs
10-19-2015, 09:22 PM
With no pressure signs on the brass I would be more suspect of a barrel flaw. Rare but they do happen. I have pulled bulged and blown barrels on 10 or 12 rifles. In all case the primer pockets were blown and the stamping on the case head was gone and belt formed like a belted mag case. On the four AR's the case head fusion welded to the bolt face. At least one of the bolt lugs failed but on a couple two failed.

Not my pics but this what I have seen with blown AR's http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=611111

lksmith
10-19-2015, 09:53 PM
With no pressure signs on the brass I would be more suspect of a barrel flaw. Rare but they do happen. I have pulled bulged and blown barrels on 10 or 12 rifles. In all case the primer pockets were blown and the stamping on the case head was gone and belt formed like a belted mag case. On the four AR's the case head fusion welded to the bolt face. At least one of the bolt lugs failed but on a couple two failed.

Not my pics but this what I have seen with blown AR's http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=611111

I;m certain what happened was a squib that got stuck just past the gas port and they "slugged up" stretching the bore of the barrel until they got to the end cap on teh can which is roughly 1/2" thick x 1-1/2 diameter stainless that had much more material than the barrel itself. the fact that I had to use vice grips instead of the wrench that is used to take the can apart for cleaning supports that (at least in my mind). Unfortunately it marred the cap pretty good so I'll have to dress it up and repaint it.

M-Tecs
10-19-2015, 10:35 PM
I was not there you were. If you were not single loading and the second round was a squib it would not have ejected/chamber the third round. Also squib rounds are quite.

First shot exited and hit the target and it was loud even with suppressor, second shot was fired also loud,

but thought I heard something hit the brush behind the target.

Third Shot KABOOM! Sounded abnormally loud but no additional recoil.

Good chart at the end for port pressure on the different length AR's http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

Artful
10-19-2015, 11:20 PM
If you were not single loading and the second round was a squib it would not have ejected/chamber the third round.

Actually not true, I had a "squib" in loading subsonic 308 in a FAL/SLR and it ejected the brass and loaded another one - but I recognized no new hole on target so checked the bore - blocked and so saved myself. Working with subsonic ammo a "squib" is a little different than if your loading full power loads and have a "squib". Which is usually a case of no powder or not much powder.

The fine line you try to run with subsonic makes it difficult so you have to be extra careful. Just tipping the barrel up or down before shooting a subsonic in a 308 case caused several hundred fps difference in the performance of the same subsonic load.

Mica_Hiebert
10-19-2015, 11:42 PM
keep on federal! demand to talk to their quality control manager, I work for speer/cci the sister company of federal and I know that our qc department is very helpful and willing to make things right.

M-Tecs
10-20-2015, 01:20 AM
Actually not true, I had a "squib" in loading subsonic 308 in a FAL/SLR and it ejected the brass and loaded another one - but I recognized no new hole on target so checked the bore - blocked and so saved myself. Working with subsonic ammo a "squib" is a little different than if your loading full power loads and have a "squib". Which is usually a case of no powder or not much powder.

The fine line you try to run with subsonic makes it difficult so you have to be extra careful. Just tipping the barrel up or down before shooting a subsonic in a 308 case caused several hundred fps difference in the performance of the same subsonic load.

Never fired or worked on a FAL/SLR so I can not comment. The 300 Blackout is a bitch too get to function well in the AR platform with full pressure subsonic loads much less a squib load that won't push a bullet out the bore. Stuck bullets are common with very little loads in the 300 Blackout. I don't own a 300 Blackout anything other than a reamer but do chamber a fair number of AR SRB and 16" barrels for a buddy that has a business selling AR's. He test fires everyone. When he has issues that he can't resolve I get them. Can's help keep pressure. I am not lics. for cans so the can's have to be removed before I can work on them.

Some rough guidance on port sizes for the 300 Blockout. http://micromoa.com/300-blk-port-size-testing/

lksmith
10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Just got a call from federal, and the guy was very friendly. They are sending a call tag for the remaining 17 rounds and the 3 fired ones and said they would probably want the barrel to inspect once I send pics.

Artful
10-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Excellent - Most Ammo maker's do care about their customers.

Mica_Hiebert
10-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Just got a call from federal, and the guy was very friendly. They are sending a call tag for the remaining 17 rounds and the 3 fired ones and said they would probably want the barrel to inspect once I send pics.
Glad to hear it! Keep us updated. Federal Cartridge Co. signs my pay checks. I am fully confident they will make this right!

lksmith
10-20-2015, 04:49 PM
I'll make sure to update the status on this thread until the closure of the incident

dragon813gt
10-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Responding so I can see what the resolution was.

odfairfaxsub
10-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Any news

Geezer in NH
10-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Any news27 hrs?? They do not have a transporter give it a break Don't expect an answer from the op till he gets it in a week or two from Federal.

Internet may be instant but real life is not.

lksmith
11-04-2015, 01:14 PM
The guy from Federal just called me. He said that the other rounds in the box tested fine, but this is an oddball low pressure low velocity load and sometimes get funny results and can't prove or disprove that there wasn't a bad round.
He said although they normally don't pay claims on custom built guns due to unknown workmanship of assembly that he'd send me a check for half the cost of the barrel and send me my gas system and barrel nut back.

All in all I am satisfied in the customer service, once I was able to get in touch with a person

Mica_Hiebert
11-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Im glad they did something for you.