PDA

View Full Version : Lee Universal Charging or Long and Short Charging die?

RogerDat
10-19-2015, 12:29 PM
I understand that the Lee Universal Charging die allows mounting my existing Lee PPM (Perfect Powder Measure) while the Long and Short Rifle Charging dies allow mounting the Auto Disk and the new drum powder measures.

What I am not clear on is do the Long and Short Charging dies allow me to easily pour powder in that I have measured on the side.

I'm just starting to move from pistol to rifle casting and reloading. Intended powder measuring set up is for 303 Brit, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x39, and .223 rem. Don't think my auto disk pro will work well for that task.

Understand Auto Disk even with double disk kit is pretty limited for rifle sized charges.
The PPM mounted on turret won't every be fully automatic.

I guess I'm leaning toward the Long and Short Charging dies IF they will let me measure with the PPM on the side and charge case through die. Figure the newer drum powder measure might be a better eventual purchase for loading the auto loader cartridges and I can get by with measuring to the side for now if I can avoid the annoying funnel in the brass step.

If the PPM can mount on a turret and be used to accurately load 7.62 or .223 then maybe the Universal Charging die would be the better choice. Those are sort of high quantity loading so keeping it "all on the press" offers more advantage than it does for 303 or 8mm limited production.

Opinions? Your experiences? What you would choose to spend your hard earned money on?

Tackleberry41
10-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Never used those dies, Lee pistol dies all come with the pour thru set up. I did buy the rifle charging die to use with my Lee double disc, works great for 223, not anything with much more capacity. And then the extender so it could clear dies on my turret press. I have 2 of the Lee, one was given, they do the job within limitations. One has the adjustable unit, never have to take it apart, I bought a couple replacement hoppers for when they split. Tho have not needed them, if your careful about the screws. Sometimes I use the disc unit to get me almost there, dump the charge in the scale, then trickle the extra little bit so its just right, saves alot of work.

RogerDat
10-20-2015, 11:06 AM
I too mount the double disk on the pistol powder through dies using the riser. Just trying to figure out what is the "best" arrangement for using the turret press for some rifle reloading in quantity.

Batch of 50 for the Enfield is no big deal to do those one at a time with turret index rod out. Doing 300 cnt batch of 7.62 x 39 I would much rather have a system that works as efficiently as the Lee turret does with pistol. If I have to I'll just use it as a single stage and take what satisfaction I can for the dies all staying adjusted in the disk for quick change.

I'm surprised not to have heard from anyone who has experience with a PPM mounted on a turret press to load rifle, or used the long and short charging dies either manually or with a drum type measure.

I needed some other items from Titan and after finding a YouTube video showing the PPM mounted on turret with the Universal Charging die I decided to give that a shot. Will try to remember to post back here on how it worked out. Buying an Auto Drum measure to use the Long & Short rifle charging dies would have run an additional $35 and since I already have the PPM went that route. We shall see.

troyboy
10-20-2015, 06:41 PM
I have the long powder through die and could not do 30-06 length cartridges. I was able to to 308 family just. My process was station 3 on my ammomaster using as a powder through for weighted charges thrown from the chargemaster. Ended up using the uniflow adapter the appropriate drop tube and with the funnel instead of the lee die. Works great for 223 autodisk combo.

Outdoors
10-20-2015, 11:28 PM
I for one am interested in hearing how it works out for you. I went the other way, and got the new auto drum and long and short dies to go with my new Lee turret. If it works as planned, it's much less than getting a pro auto disk, double disk kit, and maybe a microdisk to get the flexibility I am looking for.

I too mount the double disk on the pistol powder through dies using the riser. Just trying to figure out what is the "best" arrangement for using the turret press for some rifle reloading in quantity.

Batch of 50 for the Enfield is no big deal to do those one at a time with turret index rod out. Doing 300 cnt batch of 7.62 x 39 I would much rather have a system that works as efficiently as the Lee turret does with pistol. If I have to I'll just use it as a single stage and take what satisfaction I can for the dies all staying adjusted in the disk for quick change.

I'm surprised not to have heard from anyone who has experience with a PPM mounted on a turret press to load rifle, or used the long and short charging dies either manually or with a drum type measure.

I needed some other items from Titan and after finding a YouTube video showing the PPM mounted on turret with the Universal Charging die I decided to give that a shot. Will try to remember to post back here on how it worked out. Buying an Auto Drum measure to use the Long & Short rifle charging dies would have run an additional $35 and since I already have the PPM went that route. We shall see.

Silverboolit
10-21-2015, 01:28 AM
Just loaded a bunch of .308's on the turret using the new auto drum. What a time saver! I was using red dot at 13 grains and had to use the small chamber instead of the larger one. I put it into the 2nd hole on the press and flare the mouth and dispense powder all at the same time. The auto drum seems to really work well, at least for me.

RogerDat
10-21-2015, 08:46 AM
I really like the auto disk for pistol, charge bar is ok too as long as the powder load is not small. Have to use a filler (cardboard) in the cavity to get it centered under the reservoir hole down around 3 grains or less. Some folks use JB Weld as filler and make one just for small loads.

The safety reset on the auto drum looked like a good set up in a YouTube video I saw of it in action. Good to hear that it is functional in full size rifle such as .308 on a turret press. Maybe one of these days.... but that cost was money I was spending on some lube / sizing kits this shopping go round.

Outdoors
10-21-2015, 11:16 PM
So how are you flaring? Pistol insert in the rifle die?
Pat

Just loaded a bunch of .308's on the turret using the new auto drum. What a time saver! I was using red dot at 13 grains and had to use the small chamber instead of the larger one. I put it into the 2nd hole on the press and flare the mouth and dispense powder all at the same time. The auto drum seems to really work well, at least for me.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-21-2015, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking you might want to investigate Lee's newest offerings in powder measures. They may be more in line for meeting your needs. Generally speaking, it's my experience that cylinder type measures do well measuring powder for rifles on presses more oriented towards production.

I'm not familiar with the names of Lee's latest stuff, but what I've read so far indicates they may be what you're looking for.

Silverboolit
10-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Outdoors... I use a LEE .30 Carbine powder thru expansion die, it is in the pistol die section. Since it is too small for the .308 to fit into, I drill the bottom of the die out with a 1/2" drill bit. You can't use the full stroke of the lever, just enough to raise the powder activation. It's is a trial and error to get set up, but works very well and I am happy with it.

Outdoors
10-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Clever!
Based on an older thread here, I got a 30 carbine and a 32 S&W insert from Titan when I ordered my dies.
http://www.titanreloading.com/service-parts/reloading-die-parts/lee-se2291-pm-exp-plug-30-m1http://www.titanreloading.com/service-parts/reloading-die-parts/lee-90445-pm-exp-plug-32-sw-oversize

$3 ea, and they seem to fit into the rifle die body. Haven't tried the combo out on any brass yet though. I think other calibers (say, 223, 7mm, 8mm, etc,) would be pretty easy for someone with a lathe. Track of the Wolf makes these in larger caliber sizes (.35+)

Pat

rtracy2001
10-22-2015, 10:15 PM
The rifle charging die/universal charging die has the same threads as the powder through expanding die, so you can use a short brass insert in the rifle/universal die (to adapt to the case mouth size), attach the pistol funnel adapter to the top of the die and place any old powder funnel on top of the adapter. As the press comes up, the case hits the insert which slides up until it hits the funnel adapter (hopefully at the very top of the stroke). At that point you can pour in you off-press measured powder. For longer cases, the Auto Disk riser may get you some more headroom, just remember to remove the sliding tube inside the riser.