PDA

View Full Version : What kind or make of 1911 do you reccomend

randyrat
10-16-2015, 08:01 PM
I had a friend ask me advice on a new 1911, What kind?
I told him I have no clue, not even a hint of which kind anymore and said I'll look into it..He said he was willing to spend about $800

This could get into personnel preferences, that is fine with me, hopefully your preference comes more from experience.

I think he wants to get into some fun competition.

He shoots and reloads a lot of lead

smokeywolf
10-16-2015, 08:08 PM
I think Love Life acquired a new Colt recently. He probably had some pretty solid reasons why Colt should make his 1911.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Ruger SR 1911 http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911DE/models.html love the one i have night watchmen

dragon813gt
10-16-2015, 08:16 PM
I own a Remington, Ruger, RIA and Sig 1911. All of them work like they're supposed to. And they vary greatly in price. IMO the RIA is the best bargain w/ the Remington right after it. 1911s are like ARs in the respect that the features are a personal decision.

The only brand I will not buy is Kimber. Had to many repeated issues w/ a few of them. My Uncle went through the same thing. I'm not a fan of sending a firearm back repeatedly to make it work properly. I know plenty of people love them. I just won't purchase one again.

I'm trying to make some funds available to pick up a CZ. I love their products and a 1911 from the CZ Custom is right up my alley.

Houlton
10-16-2015, 08:19 PM
Bought a RIA 1911a few months ago. My son took it to the range and liked it so much the only time I get to shoot it is when we go to the range at the same time. I'm looking for another one cause I don't think I'm getting this one back. Very accurate, good trigger.

wv109323
10-16-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't know what kind of competition he will get into. The RIA gets a lot of praise with excellent CS. Two things,IMO, that need modified on the bottom end guns are sights and trigger work. I would consider these two things and get a gun that had these improvements. The rest is personal preference. Colt would hold value but the GM needs sights and trigger work. There are many good brands on the market.

JWFilips
10-16-2015, 08:43 PM
I like My Remington Stainless...Super accurate out of the box! I have no complaints. Very dependable

Love Life
10-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Hehehe!

I prefer Colts, but there are many manufacturers out there making 1911's.

Yodogsandman
10-16-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm a 1911 NooB and bought a RIA Tactical. Fun to shoot. Has a great trigger and sights. Can't argue with the price and it's a much better entry level pistol than most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Island_Armory_1911_series

cattleskinner
10-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Springfield Range Officer, it is what I went with and is pretty highly recommended in the CMP forums for EIC matches. Fits his price range too.

Love Life
10-16-2015, 08:58 PM
I'd recommend Colt or Ruger. Spend your money on American goods that support American jobs!!

jcren
10-16-2015, 09:35 PM
I won't say they are the best, but I have modified a RIA that will amaze most average shooters and a friend has a stock RIA that isn't that far behind.

DougGuy
10-16-2015, 09:42 PM
Ruger!

crowbuster
10-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Nuther ruger and RIA fan. in that order

OptimusPanda
10-16-2015, 10:43 PM
I have a SW1911. After a trip back to the factory (it ended up 3 point jamming about every 10-20 rounds) it's doing fine. Six or seven years now and maybe 10,000 rounds. Gives me trouble maybe every 500ish. Since they're my cast handloads it's hard to blame the gun. All that said, and as happy as I am with it...if I could do it all over with the same money, I'd get the ruger or the remington.

TXGunNut
10-16-2015, 11:03 PM
I like my new Ruger but I like what I see in the Remington as well. I like what I hear about the RIA but personally can't warm up to them. Springfield has had their ups and downs, would have to take a long hard look at one before filling out a 4473. Colt and Sig are making very good 1911's these days but a bit out of your friend's budget. Wilson, Kimber and the other semi-custom guns are also outside of his budget and IMHO generally not worth the extra money.

dubber123
10-16-2015, 11:14 PM
I have a Springfield that has been an excellent gun for 30,000+ rounds, most of it in competition. That said I was very favorably impressed with the last Ruger that I handled. (Brothers new gun). It had an abrupt chamber leade that DougGuy cured, but he also did my Springfield barrel at the same time. It is a common problem. Common enough I sent him 6 barrels to work on at the same time. I would plan $20 into your friends gun budget to send the barrel to him.

An added note, I would suggest going with a full sized model, both for shootability and reliability. The shorter they get, they harder they are to shoot, and the more prone to failure in my experience.

blackpowder man
10-16-2015, 11:24 PM
I agree on the ruger, RIA, and springfield Range officer are all great choices. The range officer is especially accurate, but I really love the Sig 1911s. I've owned 4 of them and my stx is my favorite. For those that don't like their slide shape they do offer the traditional model. Great trigger, ultra reliable, very accurate and good customer service if it is ever needed. They're made in the US, but I realize it isn't a US based company.

Petrol & Powder
10-16-2015, 11:33 PM
It's been a while since I've played with 1911's but I was very impressed with a Kimber that I owned. I had some great Colts and some Colts that I couldn't wait to get rid of. I have to say that I think the Colt name adds more cost than value sometimes. In today's market there are a lot of good options that were not available 10-15 years ago.

Char-Gar recently posted a good review of the new lightweight Ruger Commander sized 1911 and I handled one at a gun store a few days ago. If I had the spare cash right now the Ruger would be my #1 choice.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-16-2015, 11:34 PM
All my 1911's are Colt's. Carried only Colt 1911's on duty as a peace officer and retired recently after 33 years. Colt's always work.

Love Life
10-16-2015, 11:40 PM
All my 1911's are Colt's. Carried only Colt 1911's on duty as a peace officer and retired recently after 33 years. Colt's always work.

That about sums it up for me. Check out Grabagun and Buds. They have good prices on just about any make 1911 you may please. My preference is Colt. They work, and truly are worth the money. Not made in the Philippines, not made in brazil, not a parts kit made in brazil and assembled here.

I'm confident you can find a good, NIB Series 80 1991 for under $800. If they are not your choice, then there are other American made (not just assembled and sold here) options that fall within your price range. However, I wouldn't let $100 or so keep me from a Pony!

Only bad 1911 I have had was a Springfield back in...umm...2005.

TXGunNut
10-16-2015, 11:55 PM

I also carried a Colt for most of my 25 yrs as a peace officer. I was fortunate to work for an agency that "tolerated" 1911's. Having a trusted Colt in your holster is a confidence-builder in an environment where every little edge counts. I carried a custom Colt that endured countless hours of range time and I never had to worry about whether it would work. That old warhorse fired unknown 10's of thousands of rounds before I retired it. When it went to my safe it had all new springs and some sweet new grips, it's ready to go whenever I need it.

waco
10-17-2015, 12:54 AM
I've had my Kimber for almost two decades now. She is a fine piece. I paid $599 new for her out the door. I would not want to have to buy another today.

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2015, 09:02 AM
ive owned probably 20 1911s through the years. I have three left. A gold cup national match colt, a Kimber target match and a Kimber commander. Personaly its Kimber and Colt for me. One other real good one I had was a sti Trojan. I was probably the best 1200 dollar or less 1911 ive ever shot or handled.

Bzcraig
10-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Para Ordnance

BNE
10-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Kimber.

375supermag
10-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi...

i have been carrying and shooting a Springfield Armory full size 1911 for over 30 years. Tens of thousands of rounds fired...works perfectly if I keep it clean.

I also carry a Colt Combat commander...probably 5000 rounds through it in the last decade or so. A bit short sight radius for competition in my mind.

My son recently bought an RIA 1911...he loves it. Very accurate out of the box.He put a set of after market grips on it and the grip screw inserts fell out after a few hundred rounds. I am pretty sure that is his fault...he ordered new ones...don't know if he has had time to replace them yet.

Petrol & Powder
10-17-2015, 09:37 AM
".......He put a set of after market grips on it and the grip screw inserts fell out after a few hundred rounds. I am pretty sure that is his fault...he ordered new ones...don't know if he has had time to replace them yet. "

Brownells makes a cool staking tool that fits inside the grip frame and stakes the grip screw bushings via a punch passed through the opposite grip screw hole.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/power-tools-accessories/drill-bits/1911-auto-grip-bushing-staker-prod696.aspx

A little locktite (not the red stuff!) helps as well.

Love Life
10-17-2015, 09:41 AM
".......He put a set of after market grips on it and the grip screw inserts fell out after a few hundred rounds. I am pretty sure that is his fault...he ordered new ones...don't know if he has had time to replace them yet. "

Brownells makes a cool staking tool that fits inside the grip frame and stakes the grip screw bushings via a punch passed through the opposite grip screw hole.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/power-tools-accessories/drill-bits/1911-auto-grip-bushing-staker-prod696.aspx

A little locktite (not the red stuff!) helps as well.

Yep!! Stake em' or hit them with some locktite.

jmorris
10-17-2015, 10:11 AM
If he is wanting to play gun games with it I would pick an STI.

gray wolf
10-17-2015, 11:35 AM
I Had a problem with my grip screw inserts coming loose, Springfield told me send it back.
Not a problem with there supper fast they Pay$$ turnaround.
They told me They used red lock-tite, (think they still do )

Most times it's because we over tighten the grip screws,and that's because the grips can shoot loose during a long range session.
That leads to over tightening of the screws.
Anyway I solved my problem with very small rubber O rings,
small so they just go over the grip screws, the smallest you can get on the screw.

Tighten the grip screws until they hit the O ring, then a half turn after that and your good to go.
No more loose grips and you do not stress the delicate inserts.

Most times the inserts come out still attached to the grips,
they are VERY delicate and can get trashed trying to take them off.

Staking works fine as long as you don't screw up the bushing, ( cross threading )
A staked bushing can be a job to remove ( sometimes )

1911's need a little looking at from time to time and it's the owners responsibility to get familiarized with the platform.

I see many people that have 1911 type pistols at my range, they have them cause the other guy has one.
They know nothing about the pistols, most have never even field striped them for cleaning.Thoughts of a total strip and clean brings a look of total fear to there face.

I have been asked to shoot some 1911,s that you could not even draw the slide back cause of all the dirt and or the lack of Lube.

Char-Gar
10-17-2015, 11:40 AM
My full sized 1911s are by Colt and Norinco. But due to my recent experience with a new Ruger LW Commander, I would buy a new Ruger 1911 in a heartbeat and you should be able to get one for less than the the $800.00 limit.

tja6435
10-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Ruger. Novak ambi safety if shooting left handed.

Jupiter7
10-17-2015, 11:42 AM
I'd recommend Colt or Ruger. Spend your money on American goods that support American jobs!!
Springfield guns are made here, no more Brazilian frames.

To th OP, another recommendation for Springfield armory. Up the price, to around $1200 Dan Wesson or STI. Nothing wrong with Colt, most new run around $900.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-17-2015, 11:54 AM
The grip screws on my new Colt lightweight Commander wouldn't stay tight. My other Colts have Wilson hex head grip screws but when I called Wilson they said their recommended fix is now little rubber washers. Wilson sent me 4 washers which were installed under the grip screws and that fixed the problem of grip screws coming loose on my new Colt lightweight Commander.

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Kimbers seem to suffer the same bs as Remington rifles. Internet experts like to bash them to make themselves seem knowlegable. Ive owned 6 of them and every one of them has been accurate and reliable. One of the two I have left. The commander sized gun is even one of the dreaded external extractor guns. When I first got it it didn't run a 100 percent so I boxed it up and sent it to Kimber. this was before they were routinely changing out the slides to a conventional ejector. they adjusted mine and sent it back and ill say right here that its been THE MOST reliable 1911 ive ever owned. It NEVER misses a beat and im sure the round count is way up there in the thousands. It feeds anything I stick in it.
Kimber.

HABCAN
10-17-2015, 12:00 PM
The Chicoms spent the better part of two years trying their best to kill me: nonetheless I very much favor the new Norincos which have incorporated ALL the wells and bistles I finally assembled onto my original Colt. They presently sell here for under CDN$400............you could buy two.

dragon813gt
10-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Kimbers seem to suffer the same bs as Remington rifles. Internet experts like to bash them to make themselves seem knowlegable.

And the people that defend them seem to think they never turn out a bad product. I had three of them while my Uncle had two. None of them were reliable. Constant failures to feed. This was all w/ factory ammo. Send it back, they would fix it, shoot it some more and the same problem would occur again. IMO, the guns are to tight. A GI version may be a rattle trap but it will eat any ammo up.

At the end of the day it's your money so buy whatever brand you want. There is an upside and downside to every product. I know where my money won't be going at this point.

Love Life
10-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed my Kimber Custom TLE II. Accurate and reliable. I think I paid close to $800 for it out the door years ago. I sold it because it wasn't a Colt. I have a problem...

DougGuy
10-17-2015, 01:02 PM
To each his own. There seems to be a legitimate and justified need for about as many variations and manufacturers of 1911s as anyone could want, since no matter what the brand or configuration of said 1911, each seems to have their dedicated fans. Even the crappy ones!

I learned a long time ago that 'smithing or even tinkering with a 1911 would empty your pocket and fill up your parts box with now un-needed and un-used bits and pieces, so anymore I just build mine out of the components I want to use. No leftover parts, and no paying for a complete gun then paying again to change it into something I liked better than when I got it.

For years I worked on others' 1911s, changing stuff, fitting custom parts, checkering, accurizing, and as pretty as the work was after bluing or glass beading, I just seemed to gravitate to two models, the WWII era US GI 1911A1 with stock everything except a long trigger, and a steel framed Commander model with flat mainspring housing and WWII grip safety and hammer. I have owned a bunch of 1911s but these two are for whatever reason the ones that I really wanted to have, the GI model at the ready in my house, and the Commander carried every day outside the house. No extended buttons, no checkering, just straight up business guns made to function flawlessly and hit where they are pointed.

Both of these are mostly stock as-issued Auto Ordnance lowers, the GI wears a WWII Remington Rand slide and all WWII internals and barrel, the Commander wears a Colt slide with an Israeli made barrel. These were typical parts guns, more or less priced around the lower end of the 1911 range but they shoot as accurately as most of the high end 1911s as their fitment of parts turned out to be better than one could possibly expect as both slides needed lapping and careful fitting so we have two excellent examples of what can be done without a lot of cash layout.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/DSC04513%20Custom%202_zpscwbgpwxh.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/DSC04513%20Custom%202_zpscwbgpwxh.jpg.html)

If I did not possess the tools, the skills, and the experience to build the 1911s I wanted, I would have bought the Ruger SRC 1911 Commander model. So when someone asks me which 1911? I simply say "Ruger."

daniel lawecki
10-17-2015, 01:07 PM
I have shot Kimber, Smith& Wesson, Ruger, Springfield, Colts the last three I own and the Ruger SR1911 shoots just as good shot for shot as all the others. Of coarse that was with a steady diet of cast boolits 200 grain SWC. On your pistol league which is timed rapid fire 72 rounds 11 mag changes all under the clock all of the above guns were up to the task. It took 2 years for someone to beat my score and time and that was done with a bone stock Ruger SR 1911.

Love Life
10-17-2015, 01:41 PM
I have the same line of thought as Dougguy. I like my 1911's plain vanilla. No extended this, full length that, ambi this, blah, blah, blah. I like my 1911's to be simplified elegance. They are shooters, and bring the ruckus, no more no less.

I'm actually like that with all my handguns. Rarely will I modify them unless it is for a specific purpose.

gray wolf
10-17-2015, 04:35 PM
I have the same line of thought as Dougguy. I like my 1911's plain vanilla. No extended this, full length that, ambi this, blah, blah, blah. I like my 1911's to be simplified elegance. They are shooters, and bring the ruckus, no more no less.

I'm actually like that with all my handguns. Rarely will I modify them unless it is for a specific purpose.

Ditto--------

When I got my 1911 Springfield loaded the first thing I did from experience, was to dump the ambi extended safeties.
I replaced them with a single sided GI safety.
Why? cause they just get in the way. To darn big for a carry gun.
Holsters knock them off, brushing against something can swipe them off, a close encounter can get them knocked off,
and for me I do not need a thumb rest.

Drawing a 1911 and swiping the safety off is a rapidly accomplished task. People watching can rarely even see it done.
On, off, off on, I don't think I have ever missed it.

If my right hand gets hurt before I draw it's going to be tricky to get the gun out with my left hand to begin with.
If my gun is in the fight it will have the safety off to begin with, so transferring the pistol to the left hand will not require the safety to be messed with. If I win, there are many options to making the pistol safe again.

I see two reasons to have two extra long bulky appendages hanging off my 1911.

1, I may need it for competition shooting.
2, Everyone else has them and they are way tacti-cool.

+ how many people truly practice using them, fact is how many people actually practice at all.

Learning pistol skills comes from doing,-- and doing,-- and doing,-- till you don't get it wrong.
Now that's a true statement.
But, one must first see and experience what correct looks like and feels like in order to replicate it.

Blackwater
10-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Actually, it seems to be rather hard to find a 1911 that doesn't work nowadays. I have 2 Colts and Kimber, and friends have (I think?) all those you named, and all are reliable with a good range of ammo and all shoot well. Don't know anyone with one of the Philippine ones, or at least don't remember any, so can't speak to those. Really, there's no excuse nowadays for anyone producing one that DOESN'T work and shoot well. Praise be to THAT! It wasn't always this way, for SURE!

22cf45
10-17-2015, 07:03 PM
I shoot 1911's in bullseye competition and have for 40 years. I only say that so you will know I have shot many, many 10's of thousands of 45 acp thru a 1911. If I were going to buy a different 1911, it would definitely be a Springfield. And as others have suggested, I think the Springfield Range Officer would be the one. As I understand it, it is ready to go right out of the box until you reach a high level. The gunsmith who does my bullseye pistols recommends Springfield's as one of the pistols he prefers to accurize. He doesn't want to work on any of those that originated in the Philippines.
Only my opinion
Phil

randyrat
10-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Nice! I really appreciate all the feedback

Pumpkinheaver
10-17-2015, 11:09 PM
I have owned 2 Kimbers, still have one, both were flawless. The only malfunctions were caused by shoddy/damaged mags. The one I still own has probably 15,000 rounds through it. I quit counting at 8,000 and that was in 2005 or so.

Plate plinker
10-17-2015, 11:41 PM
My Kimber runs great. Springfield not as good still tuning on that one. For the money I hear the Remingtons seems to work.

Djei5
10-18-2015, 12:58 AM
Ruger Sr 1911, I've bought three for the price of one custom Kimber. Comparing to my cousins Kimber and Kimber Ultra Carry, the Rugers feel like they have a custom trigger. The bushing is cut from the barrel its mated with on the Ruger, so lock up is perfect.

oger
10-18-2015, 03:22 AM
I own a bunch of 1911s and Ruger is the best deal by far.

mtncharlie1968
10-18-2015, 05:07 AM
The closest thing I have is a Star PD that I bought back in 1982. A light compact, like a Colt "Officer" model. It has great sights, but at 25 ounces unloaded it can be rough on those who are recoil sensitive. Also, the muzzle blast is deafening without ear protection.
I have been looking at the Ruger SR1911, and the Remington...decisions, decisions.

NavyVet1959
10-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Para P16.40 and then get the leade extended a bit so that you can run loads with .40SW brass at 10mm OAL. I have a 10mm load that I just started reloading that runs at 747 ft-lbs with a 216 gr cast bullet.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/lee-tl410-210-swc-resized-10mm-loaded-320w.jpg
http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/lee-tl410-210-swc-resized-10mm-loaded.jpg

kc2gvs
10-18-2015, 07:29 AM
I've owned a Rock Island Armory GI 1911 Full Size, and it was extremely accurate with various ammunition, and no hiccups, no FTF, FTE, or mechanical issues.

Lloyd Smale
10-18-2015, 08:02 AM
am I a fan? Yup. do they turn out an occasional bad one? yup. Seems kind of odd though that in three guns all were lemons. That seems to point more toward a basher then a true evaluation. I have owned more then one Colt, Kimber, springfield, sti, para and a few others including one les baer and one wilson. Ive put thousands of rounds through all of them. Ive got buddys who also own many and pay attention to there experiences. What have I gleamed from this.

Theres good guns for under a grand. You don't have to pay 2k for a baer or Wilson to get a good gun (although they are good guns) Ive had my best luck with OUT OF THE BOX guns from colt, Kimber and sti. Para is close to being included springfield not so much. Seems I either allways got a reliable gun or an accurate one but never both with a springfield. Now im talking 10-20 years ago as I haven't bought a springfield in the last 10 years because of my past problems. They may be just find now.

Ive got 1911s with over 50k round count that I shot in competition that have had nothing but springs replaced. The two im referring to are a colt and a Kimber. I chuckle at guns that buy one and shoot 10 boxes of shells out of it and claim they have found the holy grail. Like you said its your money spend it on whatever floats your boat. If your happy with a rattle trap GI that shoots 3 inch groups that's fine. If its a 100percent reliable it will defend your family but its a bit boring the range and sure isn't going to win you any trophys. A good 1911 to me has to feed ANY cast or jacketed bullet a 100 percent, clean or dirty and put 7 of them into less then 2 inches at 25 yards. No exception. If they fail on any one of those criteria's they get a trip to the gun shop.
And the people that defend them seem to think they never turn out a bad product. I had three of them while my Uncle had two. None of them were reliable. Constant failures to feed. This was all w/ factory ammo. Send it back, they would fix it, shoot it some more and the same problem would occur again. IMO, the guns are to tight. A GI version may be a rattle trap but it will eat any ammo up.

At the end of the day it's your money so buy whatever brand you want. There is an upside and downside to every product. I know where my money won't be going at this point.

9.3X62AL
10-18-2015, 08:11 AM
I am firmly in Love Life's camp when it comes to adornments on my sideiron, and that goes double for my 1911-series pistols. My Colt Series 80 GCNM shoots wonderfully--reliable and accurate using Colt OEM mags. That Elliason rear sight is a delicate critter, though.......I know it's a target variant, and not adapted to the rigors of field service. Give me the old GM or Commander fixed sights any day of the week, like those found on my SIG P-220. They stay "adjusted"--don't break--and retaining pins don't depart and disappear.

howe0001
10-18-2015, 08:47 AM
I had an ATI as my first commander.. good entry level, but I really love my Ruger commander much better
😁

coalgeo
10-18-2015, 08:55 AM
many +'s
Amongst a number of Colts, I have one of the newer Model 01991 models - nary a hickup right out of the box.

DougGuy
10-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Para P16.40 and then get the leade extended a bit so that you can run loads with .40SW brass at 10mm OAL.

I have done a few of those for the Glock guys too!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/Glock%20Throating/DSC03877crop768_zpsl5liu2nm.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/Glock%20Throating/DSC03877crop768_zpsl5liu2nm.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/Glock%20Throating/DSC03871crop768_zpsvmumhdwb.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/Glock%20Throating/DSC03871crop768_zpsvmumhdwb.jpg.html)

Love Life
10-18-2015, 10:29 AM
I am firmly in Love Life's camp when it comes to adornments on my sideiron, and that goes double for my 1911-series pistols. My Colt Series 80 GCNM shoots wonderfully--reliable and accurate using Colt OEM mags. That Elliason rear sight is a delicate critter, though.......I know it's a target variant, and not adapted to the rigors of field service. Give me the old GM or Commander fixed sights any day of the week, like those found on my SIG P-220. They stay "adjusted"--don't break--and retaining pins don't depart and disappear.

I have read that a hardened steel pin can be put in place of the factory pin and will solve the issue of random...ummm...pin disappearance.

For my carry and hard use guns I much prefer fixed sights with ammo that hits to the sights. I like my ammo to hit right on top of the front sight. Not 4 inches high, and not in the middle of the sight. Load development, judicious use of a file, or a new front sight can make that happen for me!

Off topic-ish alert!- I have a model 28 that I carried all over the place with adjustable sights, and they never broke.

9.3X62AL
10-18-2015, 11:11 AM
I have read that a hardened steel pin can be put in place of the factory pin and will solve the issue of random...ummm...pin disappearance.

For my carry and hard use guns I much prefer fixed sights with ammo that hits to the sights. I like my ammo to hit right on top of the front sight. Not 4 inches high, and not in the middle of the sight. Load development, judicious use of a file, or a new front sight can make that happen for me!

Off topic-ish alert!- I have a model 28 that I carried all over the place with adjustable sights, and they never broke.

I have some roll pin and steel pin stock enroute to address the question. We'll see how my intended fixes hold up. I'm just starting to get a shop set up in the garage after a year's hiatus......this is one of several projects waiting in queue.

I have owned several dozen--and still own several S&W revolvers with adjustable sights. The things are bullet-proof. I have in the past upgraded those S&W rear sights with an aftermarket set by Millett that seems to be out of production. They didn't appear quite as rugged as the S&W system, but I never heard of one breaking off, and I sold and installed at least 75 of them--mostly on deputy/officer personally-owned firearms from agencies around my area.

Love Life
10-18-2015, 11:24 AM
I hope your fix works out for you. The new GC models have the Bomar sight cut so no rear sight issues on those.

Another tangent- I have seen Colt 1911's with S&W adjustable revolver sights on them.

Congrats on the shop.

9.3X62AL
10-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Yessir--the late model GCs have stronger iron sight systems. Colt and aftermarket makers do a brisk trade in Elliason sights and parts for same.

Thank you--it will be nice to have The Bear Cave re-established. That is Marie's and the daughters' sobriquet for my reloading/casting/tackle-making/auto repair area. TV is operational--the ball games start in 90 minutes--and a pot of coffee is already made. The puter is going out there shortly, as well. THE NICEST PART--the move back home (to the IE/Redlands) should be DONE in the next couple days. I'm a couple miles from Buckshot now, so he will get no rest.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Still on .45s? Here's some less common ones that work well:

More common, but still not seen on the range that often:

Really good ones:

I like this one too:

left to right, top to bottom:

Ballister Molina (Argentine), Colt Sistema 1927 (Argentine), LLama Max-1 (Spanish)
AMT Hardballer
Colt Series 80 Commander, Colt M-1991, Colt Series 70 Combat Commander
SW1911

NavyVet1959
10-18-2015, 01:20 PM
I have done a few of those for the Glock guys too!

Are the .40SW Glock mags even large enough for 10mm length ammo? The .40SW is 1.135" OAL and the 10mm is 1.25" (SAAMI) or 1.26" (CIP).

Char-Gar
10-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Still on .45s? Here's some less common ones that work well:

More common, but still not seen on the range that often:

Really good ones:

I like this one too:

left to right, top to bottom:

Ballister Molina (Argentine), Colt Sistema 1927 (Argentine), LLama Max-1 (Spanish)
AMT Hardballer
Colt Series 80 Commander, Colt M-1991, Colt Series 70 Combat Commander
SW1911

You sir, have an addiction issue! But it is a good one to have.

9.3X62AL
10-18-2015, 01:56 PM
You sir, have an addiction issue! But it is a good one to have.

Indeed. There are worse maladies to cultivate, for certain.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I should have sought treatment long ago.:oops:

9.3X62AL
10-18-2015, 08:05 PM
I should have sought treatment long ago.:oops:

You could have wound up with Model 29s or 25-5s.

hp246
10-18-2015, 08:14 PM
I recently bought two of them for Wild Bunch shooting. The first one was a Remington R-1. The second one is a Taylors. The Taylors ia actually built by Armscor. Right around $500 for the Taylors. The R-1 was used, and I gave about $400 for it. Felt that the price would allow me to have the modifications done that I needed and still keep the cost reasonable.

tygar
10-18-2015, 09:05 PM
I've had a lot 1-200. Probably have 20-25 now. Have had most any brand that was any good starting with my first colt around 1960. I know I still have a couple Gold Cups, 2 or 3 hard ball Colts, comped Colts, Officers, & others, etc, etc, but today, out of the box the best bang for the buck, without doing anything to the gun, hands down is the Kimber. Maybe not the cheapest, but the best for the dollar.

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2015, 08:30 AM
theres an answer from someone that's owned a bunch not someone that bought one and wants to find a way to think he was smart enough to buy a good one.
I've had a lot 1-200. Probably have 20-25 now. Have had most any brand that was any good starting with my first colt around 1960. I know I still have a couple Gold Cups, 2 or 3 hard ball Colts, comped Colts, Officers, & others, etc, etc, but today, out of the box the best bang for the buck, without doing anything to the gun, hands down is the Kimber. Maybe not the cheapest, but the best for the dollar.

rond
10-19-2015, 09:39 AM
I have a Colt, a Safari Arms and 4 Armscor 1911s. I think the Armscor are well made and a great value for the price.

Littleton Shot Maker
10-19-2015, 10:36 AM
DELTA ELITE 10MM!. lots of knock down -tons of penetration-

Need one? going to let go of a ton of stuff here very shortly
SS Delta is one of those items being let go....

DougGuy
10-19-2015, 11:13 AM
I suggested Ruger, but DON'T OVERLOOK the USA made CZ 1911A1! I completely forgot about this one..

Forged frame and slide, stainless match grade hammer forged barrel, this is as close to a production made match gun as you will get right out of the box. Saw some on GB in the $750 range, you may find them cheaper if you look.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-1911-a1/" (http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-1911-a1/)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/cz-usa-cz_1911_a1_left_zpssggez066.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/cz-usa-cz_1911_a1_left_zpssggez066.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/2015_cz_1911_a1_right_zpsoxs0tk2y.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/2015_cz_1911_a1_right_zpsoxs0tk2y.jpg.html)

Barrels are stainless, not salt bath hardened so throating and crowning them to shoot cast is a piece of cake!

Le Loup Solitaire
10-19-2015, 08:19 PM
I've used a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 for many years. Shoots well, no complaints. Never had any had any problems. Bullseye and Green Dot have always run it well with H&G 68 and 130. LLS

MtGun44
10-21-2015, 02:29 AM
For the rear sight on the GC, get a piece of 1/16" music wire, cut a pin and round the ends nicely, then
bend it just a touch. Drive into the slide in place of the roll pin and you will never need a new pin.
At about 55-60K rounds the sight blows apart, though. I just put a new one in and went on. My current
GC has about 90-100K on it, but is semi-retired, not doing competition duty any more.

I have a number of different 1911s, but the finest made ones I own are the Dan Wessons, without any doubt.
Others are good, solid guns but none are the equal of the DWs. To do that you need to move $1000
farther upmarket from the already fairly expensive DWs to the Baer, Wilson, Brown, Heine and Nastoff
guns.

Today, for a price sensitive buyer, I recommend Ruger. Very good quality, no stupid firing pin locks,
the plunger tube is part of the frame, and a warranty that really means something, although parts
breakage on 1911s is pretty minimal, usually an extractor may give up in the 20-50K rounds range,
but not much else other than sights, if they are not put on properly.

Bill