PDA

View Full Version : 24" Marlin 336A

JDL
10-16-2015, 05:00 PM
I had forgot how much fun this rifle really is! I was checking out my ammo supply for the upcoming deer season and found I only had 5 cartridges loaded up with my standard RCBS 30-180FP. OK, that's a couple for sight in and 3 left over for deer but, I hate to feel cramped. I set out to load some but, much to my chagrin, couldn't find any bullets in my stash. I didn't want to cast any because today was such a beautiful day for shooting.
Ah ha, I found some 311407 that I had cast up almost 10 years ago before I standardized on the 30-180FP. Weight is 182 grains compared to 187 grs. so, I loaded up a few using my charge for the RCBS bullet, 35 grains of H-414.
My old Marlin seemed to like these about as well as my previous load so, I'm glad I was out of my favorite boolit because I now have an ample substitute supply.
Made a note to myself......Fire up the lead pot and make some 30-180FP!;-)

castshooter-too
10-17-2015, 12:46 PM
jdl, i've one of those marlins also.
haven't tried cast in it yet as it was just purchased about 2 weeks ago.
shoots real well with factory 150 gr. soft points.
i load the rcbs 180 fn in my 1894 winny. with a charge of H4350 that is very simular to your load of H414.
good luck hunting.

GooseGestapo
10-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Ahh! Fond memories!
Back in the late '80's, I was the custodian of a 336A. Although I traded it off and still relish fond memories, other worthy Marlins have taken its place. I too used some bulk milsurp H414, though with Sierra 170's. Shot three bucks in 10 seconds one morning (season limit!). It wore a Leupold M8 3x w/dot reticle. One of my all time favorite scopes.
I never got around to shooting cast through it.
My all time favorite Marlins "mimic" it ! (.338MX's, one a MX, other a MXLR) I have a "thing" for the half magazine rifle! Never had a bad shooter, though the .338's needed a bit of tuning.

JDL
10-17-2015, 09:49 PM
limit!). It wore a Leupold M8 3x w/dot reticle. One of my all time favorite scopes.
I never got around to shooting cast through it.
My all time favorite Marlins "mimic" it ! (.338MX's, one a MX, other a MXLR) I have a "thing" for the half magazine rifle!

Those Leupold 3x were fine scopes. My 336A wears a Weaver 3x with post and crosshair. You missed some of life's finer moments by not shooting cast in it.:-) I have the same "thing" for the short magazines and it also extends to longer barrels.