PDA

View Full Version : wood box trials, designs and tribulations

nagantguy
10-15-2015, 03:35 PM
On year 4 of the Joutl being the only heat source here at hard luck acers. Figured a few things out, got it all running pretty smooth. Have a shed full of good hard wood, oak, maple hickory some ash and apple. My previous wood box designs have all left something to be desired, one is now the out door wood box on the porch for those snowy and cold nights. It was to long and not deep enough, no lid and not pretty. One is a favorite nesting spot for the hens. The new one , carefully measured and constucted. Painted a deep rich black and built from the finest lumber the scrap pile had to offer is far to heavy to carry inside by my self. I over built it cause the first one was not up to the task and self destructed around mid January. I'm pretty sure this one won't but first I have to get it inside.

dragonrider
10-15-2015, 04:14 PM
You need a pass through woodbox, you fill it from the outside and take it out from the inside. Of course that means some alteration to a wall of your home near the stove. Saves tracking wood through the house and cleaning up after.

Bad Water Bill
10-17-2015, 02:40 AM
Try cutting the wood just big enough to fit inside of milk crates.

Easily stacked and carried.

I doubt you can get so much wood in one that even an OLD reprobate like me couldn't drag it into the house on a cold stormy night.:bigsmyl2:

Hickory
10-17-2015, 03:11 AM
I'm glad I don't burn wood anymore.
Yea, it was cheaper than oil, gas or electric.
But, after 23 years of heating & cooking with wood, my back's
no good my knees buckle and I just don't want to do it anymore.

CastingFool
10-17-2015, 06:47 AM
When I used to burn wood to heat the house, I installed an airtight stove. Once I learned how to run the thing, I could heat the house for one day with two armfuls of firewood. The house was 1060 sq. ft. plus a full basement.

winchester85
10-17-2015, 08:37 AM
i stack it on the deck below the window. i just open the window and grab a piece when i need it. works pretty slick.

scaevola
10-17-2015, 11:14 PM
I feel for your tribulations.
I hated heating with wood and don't miss it a bit.

I moved to where it doesn't often get cold enough to need heat.

Idaho Mule
10-17-2015, 11:37 PM
You guys have clearly never heard the old Braun Brother's song called "Weekend Logger Blues". I would highly recommend it for your learning pleasures. JW

Bad Water Bill
10-18-2015, 12:22 AM
Where is the link?

Hickory
10-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Where is the link?
I asked the same question here once, the snotty response I got was, "just Google it."
I always supply a link when possible, I think it inconsiderate of those who do not.

Bad Water Bill
10-18-2015, 01:18 AM
Sorry to have bothered you but I DID spend over 15 minutes looking for a link and even tried U tube with no results.

Hickory
10-18-2015, 03:15 AM
Sorry to have bothered you but I DID spend over 15 minutes looking for a link and even tried U tube with no results.
No bother to me.

dtknowles
10-18-2015, 12:02 PM
I asked the same question here once, the snotty response I got was, "just Google it."
I always supply a link when possible, I think it inconsiderate of those who do not.

Was it really a snotty "just Google it" or was it just a plain "just Google it"

It seems to me it would be easier to just Google it than to ask someone for the link and then they search to find the link so they can then message you back the link. Then you go back to the tread later to find the post with the link.

As far as posting a song title without a link to the song being inconsiderate, what? Maybe the poster has not even looked for the song on the web, he might have it on a 45 or just remembers it from the radio.

Tim

Artful
10-18-2015, 12:59 PM
BWB, which link you need?
stove
http://jotul.com/us/home

Song
http://www.allmusic.com/song/weekend-logger-blues-mt0042486572

You Tube only had advertising teaser's
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClb5kxxRe7K79ExwAqMAiDQ/feed

Idaho Mule
10-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Sorry guys, I did not mean to cause an uproar at all. As far as "providing a link" you will have to ask someone else. I am not qualified to run this computer beyond typing short notes here and there. If that offends you oh well, I reckon you will get over it in time. JW

Bad Water Bill
10-18-2015, 11:41 PM
JW

Don't feel lonesome as it still takes a lot of hep frum Girty jist ta tipe 1 fingtrd.[smilie=s:

Art dint git da muzik but got sum grate banjo pikin stuf.

Thanx fer ur hep.