PDA

View Full Version : Lub-A-Matic lubes

Half Dog
10-15-2015, 01:38 PM
I am looking to purchase a RCBS Lub-A-Matic and I have questions about lubes.

What is the criteria for selecting a lube? I plan on shooting a 45 ACP, 30-30, .357 / .38 and I would like to know if I should have different lubes for each?

Bent Ramrod
10-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Just about any variant of the NRA 50:50 Alox/Beeswax formula (RCBS, Lyman, Javelina, etc.) should work for all your applications. Make sure you get the sticks with the hole down the center. The solid sticks can be used but you have to cut them up and push them around the feed screw in the reservoir.

Mk42gunner
10-15-2015, 05:06 PM
I have a LAM and it is filled with FWFL, it is what I normally use for smokeless powder loads. No heat required, it seems to be a bit stiff at the start of a lubing session; but once I get a few twists on the pressure screw it flows well. I have never used any of the hard crayon like lubes that need to be heated to apply, I didn't like the way they lubed the commercial cast bullets that I used to buy, so I have not tried to use any of them myself.

When I made my first batch of lube I didn't have a lube mold and still don't, I remelt the lube in the microwave then pour it into the LAM at the end of a session.

Robert

MT Chambers
10-15-2015, 06:41 PM
For all smokeless powder loads I use Carnauba Red in my machines, both RCBS type and the Stars, it does require a heater, but I've never had leading problems with it. For Black Powder loads I use a home made lube, a copy of the lube required by the Gov. for use in the 1880s, mutton tallow, Bayberry wax, and Bee's wax, I believe you can sub lanolin for the tallow, soft and no heat req'd.

randyrat
10-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Or you can PM me for a free sample of TAC 1
It works with all those Calibers

rintinglen
10-17-2015, 10:06 PM
I have Ben's Red in mine, but when that runs out, I'm going with one of the commercial suppliers here on the forum for an NRA formula equivalent. Ben's Red is great, but stinks terribly when being prepared. Last time I made some Momma said; " no more," and she wasn't joking.

Tailhunter
10-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Try "simple green" it works great and the smell is minimal.

dragon813gt
10-17-2015, 11:20 PM
White Label Lubes
Can't go wrong w/ any of the products they offer. The harder ones will require a heater but this isn't a big deal.

Beagle333
10-17-2015, 11:39 PM
TAC 1 will do nicely for all of those. 8-) Talk to ol' randyrat about it. :coffeecom

chuckbuster
10-18-2015, 06:16 AM
While I have not used it in any of the OP's cartridges I have run Tac1 from Mild to Wild in .41Mag, .45Colt, .475Linebaugh, and .480Ruger with excellent results so I guess this is another vote for it. Randy great to work with also.

Ben
10-18-2015, 10:20 AM
I have Ben's Red in mine, but when that runs out, I'm going with one of the commercial suppliers here on the forum for an NRA formula equivalent. Ben's Red is great, but stinks terribly when being prepared. Last time I made some Momma said; " no more," and she wasn't joking.

Did you make the lube inside your home ?

Ben