PDA

View Full Version : Best coating for truck BH

dg31872
10-15-2015, 08:48 AM
I have never seen this discussed here before, but I have a BH in 30 carbine that I carry in my work truck. The blueing was thin when it came for the factory, and I handle it infrequently and clean it even less.
What kind of oil or coating should I put on the revolver that will do a good job of protecting it from rust?

wch
10-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Cheapest and most functional: Vaseline.

Mk42gunner
10-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Paint.

Beagle333
10-15-2015, 09:06 AM
^^^ +1 for paint.

44man
10-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Oil sucks, wax is better but there are products that beat them all and tests were posted here.
I like Birchwood-Casey Barricade myself. There is better of course.
Stay as far away from plain WD-40 as you can but they make another that is told to work.

contender1
10-15-2015, 10:08 AM
For a worn truck gun, if it's not a collectable in any way, (older, possibly rare Flattop, etc) I'd suggest a professional Ceracote job be done.

Shooter6br
10-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Paint Caliber .................bake as instructed...

osteodoc08
10-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Eezox if you want an application. Otherwise cerakote or similar.

rking22
10-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Just an opinion, but paint does nothing for the inside of the bore and chambers. Use a good rust inhibitor as recomended above and use the condition of the exterior as an early warning of deteriation to the inside areas that really matter! My creek wading/truck gun is rust blued and soaked in a bicycle chain lube (wax) then blown off/out with an air hose. Reapply as needed, has been 6 months to date since last application. The rust bluing is a very tough finish and the pores hold the wax well. It was a very homely M36 someone had painted to hide the pitting, bore and chambers were good. I bead blasted and rust blued as I cannot stand paint, personal thing, to each their own :)

dubber123
10-15-2015, 06:49 PM
I have had good luck with Mobil 1 motor oil. It's a sythetic that seem to actually penetrate the metal a bit. A bead blast finish really helps too.

nockhunter
10-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Eezox if you want an application. Otherwise cerakote or similar.

+2

Mike

jeepyj
10-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Hands down "SEAL 1" CLP Plus. It is the coating I use on all my firearms.
jeepyj

shooting on a shoestring
10-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Dexron.
Apply liberally inside and out, wipe off with paper towel.
The rust inhibitors will still be functioning even when they surface feels dry. People will doubt till they try it. I keep my blued carry guns from finger print damage, and one application lasts...till? Don't know how long yet. I use a blued Security Six for an oft handled, sometimes carried truck gun. It's worked great for years without being oily.

c1skout
10-15-2015, 10:24 PM
+1 for the aft. It's pretty much all I use anymore.

Lloyd Smale
10-16-2015, 07:20 AM
I don't use a thing on my truck guns. Oil and wax attract dirt like a magnet. Take it out once a week and spray some kroil on it and then clean it off to remove and rust. that's the reason you see guns that are working guns in my truck not fancy or new ones. If your really conserned make or find a box to put it in and throw in a one of those moisture absorbing bags.

dg31872
10-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the answers. Some I had already thought of, most I hadn't. The BH is blued and only a year old or so. One of the tightest revolvers I have ever handled. Cylinder gap is so tight that it is difficult to dis- and reassemble. An excellent piece. However it was bought with the intention of residing in my truck for the occasional need on our ranch.
I do not think I can put paint on it. I have only seen paint on one rifle, a mil-surp, and it looked like a melted Hershey bar had been smeared on it, and I am not much with a can of Krylon either. Currently use RemOil, and keep it in the Bianchi. Thought about the cerakoke, but do not know much about it. Dexron, and Mobile 1 I have in abundance. Have not heard of Eezox nor Seal 1.

Greg S
10-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Break all your sharp edges, disassemble, bead blask and parkerize. A couple of coats of oil with the oven low then reassemble. With winter coming and your location unknown, sweating o the surfaces comes to mind. I nice coat of Cerra-kote after coming outta the park bath would really seal it up. Not a fan of Duracote. Both require a blasted profile to aid adhesion so the additional step of parkerizing is just an added layer of protection.