PDA

View Full Version : PP bullet

Hiwall55
10-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Is anyone shooting a tapered Paper patch bullet and do you have any trouble putting the patch on?

sharpsguy
10-15-2015, 08:46 AM
I use to, but quit when I found that the parallel sided bullet was more accurate and definitely killed better. The tapered bullet is certainly a bit harder to patch, and requires some pulling and tugging to keep the patch from lifting on the front of the bullet.

Don McDowell
10-15-2015, 10:50 AM
The big decision you have to make when trying to make a tight patch on a tapered bullet, do you want the edges uneven on the leading edge, or the trailing edge of the bullet.
Yup the tapered bullets are a pain to patch. I've not found them to shoot as well as a straight sided bearing surface bullet, altho as most things YMMV.

Hiwall55
10-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your input, Bill

Lead pot
10-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Wet patching a tapered bullet works the best. I normally don't wet patch but the couple tapered bullets I do just for cosmetics.
My Tom Ballard tapered bullet patches good dry. If it's a little loose at the nose it shoot just as well as the wet patched.

Yellowhouse
10-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Ditto for the wet wrap but mine are more dipped than soaked. Try this: You'll use the index and thumb of each hand to guide and do the mechanics of rolling. On whichever hand the bullet nose is facing extend the middle finger out and use it as a press to exert a little tension on the paper as you roll. If you get off track back up while maintaining the tension.