PDA

View Full Version : REAL BULLET or MAXI hollow pointing!

Willyp
10-15-2015, 05:46 AM
I have cast a pile of these 2 conicals and thought i would like to hollow point them?
There is a little flat spot on the tip of both type of casting. So,how would i find the center,to drill out a hollow??? I tried a punch. my eyes are not that good no days! Next,i tried to just drill them with a 1/16th drill bit,by hand twisting it.
Then,while sitting in my loading area,thinking this may not be such a good idea,it came to mind,a die would do it!
The bottom of a 30-30 FLS die will set on top of the shoulder on the tip of the Real Bullet and the Maxi!!!!!! I took a Lee die and lossen the nut that holds the primer remover rod,so it slid free but stayed on center. I threaded the die into a press and lay a little flat steel plate on the ram,to keep the real bullet flat. I ran the ram up and the bullet centered it self,because of the taper on the bottom of the die. The primer rod nut was snugged enough to let it move,with a little force,then i tapped the rod down onto the bullet!I lowered the ram and the slug had a center punched dent closer to the middle than i could have ever got it!!!!!!!
I drilled and played with different size drills and have now some 320[i didn't reweigh them yet]grain hollow points!! They don't look like factory HPs but close enough and i did it. Now i have to go shoot them and see if they will hold any kind of a group????
The Maxi ball is next.